What would you do? - Wife in debt due to romance scam

Olde Hornet

If your spouse did this, what would you do?

After a retired San Antonio man found out his wife had been the victim of an online fraudster, the news went from bad to worse: She willingly gave her money away to a “romantic interest.”

Now she’s on the hook for loans and credit card payments — to the tune of about $50,000 — at a time when the couple should be enjoying their golden years.

His wife sent small amounts of cash to a fraudster posing as a romantic interest via credit cards and gift cards, totaling between $9,000 and $10,000. But she was also manipulated into taking out two installment loans for $23,500 and $17,500.

“I have a bunch of people tell me, ‘I would divorce her,’ but I’m not going to throw away 25 years (of marriage),” the husband told best-selling author and personal finance expert Dave Ramsey on an episode of The Ramsey Show.

Instead, they’re going to couples therapy, and the husband is making a “concerted effort to get this thing turned around financially and emotionally.”

We live in a crazy world. Easy to say what one would do, but with the way the world is going I've seen worst. In 2023 these folks are out here doing any and everything. I learn everyday why the old folks use to say just keep on living.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If your spouse did this, what would you do?

After a retired San Antonio man found out his wife had been the victim of an online fraudster, the news went from bad to worse: She willingly gave her money away to a “romantic interest.”

Now she’s on the hook for loans and credit card payments — to the tune of about $50,000 — at a time when the couple should be enjoying their golden years.

His wife sent small amounts of cash to a fraudster posing as a romantic interest via credit cards and gift cards, totaling between $9,000 and $10,000. But she was also manipulated into taking out two installment loans for $23,500 and $17,500.

“I have a bunch of people tell me, ‘I would divorce her,’ but I’m not going to throw away 25 years (of marriage),” the husband told best-selling author and personal finance expert Dave Ramsey on an episode of The Ramsey Show.

Instead, they’re going to couples therapy, and the husband is making a “concerted effort to get this thing turned around financially and emotionally.”
She would be on her own. She is for the streets

Back