What We Have Going On At First Baptist.

MightyDog

GOOD AFTERNOON! This is the day the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24

SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY: (Lamentations 3:21-26) This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. Through the LORD'S mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!" The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.

MEDITATION FOR TODAY: God's mercy is boundless, free and -- through Jesus Christ our Lord -- available to us now in our present situation. (~ A.W. Tozer)

THOUGHT FOR TODAY: God doesn't always smooth the path, but sometimes he puts springs in the wagon. (~ Marshall Lucas)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE CONTINUE TO LIFT UP THE FOLLOWING CONCERNS IN YOUR PRAYERS:
1. Pastor Scruggs and his family; FMBC family and ministries; Alabama State Convention; Selma Univ.; American Baptist College
2. Dr. William Shaw and the leadership of NBC, USA, Inc.
3. Men & women who are incarcerated; the Prison Fellowship Ministries & church jail/prison ministries
4. The unemployed, the unsaved, the unchurched
5. Students, teachers, administrators, and school support personnel; local, state, and national government leaders (including President George Bush)
7. Persons undergoing chemotherapy and radiation; persons coping with other medical, family, work-related, or financial crises
8. Our mission church: Emmanuel Community Baptist Church family & Pastor & Mrs. Rufus Slack, Jr.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANNOUNCEMENTS:
1. The Youth Achievement Celebration for students who were on the A or A/B honor roll for the 1st semester (and who turned in their report cards) will be Friday 2/23/01 @ 6:30 p.m.

2. The CDCA Black History program will be Friday 2/23/01 @ 9:00 a.m. in the gym.

3. The first annual Young Adults in Ministry (Y.A.M.) Black History Program will be Sunday (2/25/01) @ 4:00 p.m. in the Santuary. The theme is "Reflections On the Excellence of Our People." The guest speaker will be Reverend Dr. Edward Jones, FMBC Associate Minister and the musical guests will be the Voices of Triumph from Oakwood College. Please plan to attend!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOSPITAL (FMBC MEMBERS):
* Deacon Robert Mastin ------ HSV Hospital CCU
* Brother Willie B. Pope ----- HSV Hospital
* Brother Herbert King -------- Crestwood Hospital ICU

NON-MEMBERS:
* Reverend Robert Shanklin
* Brother Ben Snodgrass
* Sister Beverly Lampley asks that we pray for a co-worker's mother (Ms. Patsy Cobb) - who is scheduled for brain surgery Thursday @ 3:30p.m. & for the family
* Sister Kamela Horton's mother, Lorene ------- Athens-Limestone Hospital (Sister Horton is a new FMBC member who joined 2/11/01)
* Sister Miriam Frank's husband (Richard) ----- HSV Hospital CCU
* Deacon Eddie Williams' father (Mr. E. C. Williams) -- Mother Francis Hospital Hospital (Tyler, TX)
* Brother Ransom Leeth's cousin (Mrs. Bertha Strong) -- HSV Hospital East (Room 409)

2. OUT OF THE CITY:
* Deacon John Pea's sister Alice -- recuperating from surgery in Baton Rouge, LA
* Sister Carita Mitchell's cousin, Charles Pettigrew -- hospitalized in Philadelphia, PA and her cousin, Tyrone Region, recently diagnosed with diabetes.
* Brothers Houston & David Yarbrough & Sister Doris McShann's first cousin, Cassandra Woods of Chicago, IL -- lupus patient
* Sister Jessica Pope-HoSang's father - B'ham, AL
* Sister Harriett Littlepage's mother (Mrs. Lora Bell Bass of Cincinnati, OH)
* Mr. Bill Hume -- father of Sister Jennifer Scruggs' friend, Gwen Hume) -- Michigan
* Reverend G. W. Lindsey's brother, W. M. Lindsey, his sister (Ms. Ruth Lindsey -Cleveland, OH) & niece (Ms. Cynda Cain - Gadsden)
* Carolyn Toney -- friend of Sister Gala Horry (Athens, GA)
* Sister Kimberly Whitney (daughter of Sister Pearl Malone)
* Ms. Susan Atkinson (Michigan) -- friend of Sister Jennifer Scruggs' co-worker, Gwen Hume
* Deacon Johnny McAlpine's cousin, Holly Brown of San Pedro, CA) ?bedridden from stokes & his uncle (Brother Jeff McAlpine) of Gadsden
* Brother Robert Flanagan's friends (Debbie Strout, Marilyn Lancaster, Rev. Wyatt, & Joan Havis), his aunt (Ms. Lolawise Thompkins) & her son Sam;
* Sister Doris Triplett's sister (Mrs. Sarah Freeman) &her cousin (Mr. Edward Racks)
* Sister Doris Triplett's children (Adrienne Scott (recuperating from surgery), Tekisha Triplett, and Malik Shabazz)
* Sister Doris Triplett's mother (Mrs. Sarah Bailey) - Pine Bluff, Arkansas & her grandson, Trevion of St. Louis
* Sister Denise Swain's father (Mr. William Brown) of Titusville, FL
* Sister Erica Washington's uncle, Jack Washington of Miami, FL
* Mr. Jack Thomas -- (Gadsden, AL)
* Reverend & Mrs. Thomas Robinson (parents of Brother Ernie Robinson) - Columbus, MS
* Reverend Dr. Rob Weeks and family -- foreign missionaries
* Sister Clarene Johnson's 15 year-old nephew, Stevester Mack
* Sister Hattie Perkins -- mother of Brother Earnest Perkins
* Sister Mary Turner's father (Mr. Henry Johnson) -- B'ham
* Sister Janice Washington Vickers (B'ham, AL)
* Brother Marion Walker's uncle (Mr. Herman Best) of New Bern, NC
* Mrs. Orlean E. Hurt, B'ham, AL (mother of Reverend Mary Robinson's daughter-in-law)
* Sister Elizabeth Hurt's brother (Mr. Tommy Henry) & her sister, Margie Caffeyas
* Brother Wabi Paul (incarcerated in Decatur, GA)
* Sister Twila Carodine's father (Bill Varden)
* Deacon Errol Davis' 22 year-old cousin in San Jose, CA
* Mr. Kenton Odoms (San Francisco, CA) -- friend of Craig & Twila Carodine -- cancer patient
* Dr. Gwendolyn Johnson
* Sister Mary Thomas (sister of Yvonne Holmes)
* Brother Cornelius Landry's father (Mr. Ellis Landry, Sr.) - Kenner, LA
* Reverend Mary Robinson's son (Andre') and his family

3. RECENTLY RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL/OUTPATIENT SURGERY/HEALTHCARE FACILITIES:
* Deacon Johnny McAlpine's uncle (Mr. Jeff McAlpine of Gadsden -- released from the hospital, but not doing well
* Sister Deborah Nance
* Sister Dorothy King
* Brother Charles Blackburn
* Sister Belissa Howard & baby
* Sister Gloria Ayers' infant grandson,
* Sister Eloise Locke
* Sister Jackie Minor
* Brother James Warner (new member - father of Sister Lisa Jackson)
* Sister Marguariete Coleman -- @ the home of her daughter (Sister Laura Hayes) - 4177 Newson Rd. - Apt. #905 -35805
* Onius Heard (son of Sister Latekia Heard & grandson of Sister Dorothy Heard) -- recuperating at home
* Mr. Denorris Smith (son of Sister Lestine Belew) - moved to a healthcare facility

4. SPECIAL PRAYER REQUESTS:
* Sister Sonya Hamilton will be preaching her initial sermon on April 4th at Gethsemane Baptist Church in Louisville. Please lift her in prayer as she prepares to proclaim the Word.
* Brother Joe Kent -- ill @ home
* Sister Dora Robinson -- recuperating from a fall
* Brother George Jones & family -- his sister in Mobile is terminally ill and he is traveling frequently to be with her
* Sister Elizabeth Hurt's co-worker, Dana -- recuperating from surgery
* Sister Debra Scruggs parents, Robert Dotson and Annie Dotson and her uncle, Wendell Dotson
* Sister Veronica Parker's mother (Mrs. Maggie Irby) -- Her condition has greatly improved.
* Reverend G. W. Lindsey, Jr.'s cousin (W. C. Coats) - terminally ill in Cleveland, OH & his uncle (Floyd Coats) - hospitalized in Gadsden, AL
* Sister Carita Mitchell and one of her co-workers request prayer for Braedon Hembree a 20 month old from Clinton, S. C.
* Deacon James T. ("Tim") Foster
* Sister Beatrice Foster
* Deacon Stanley Curtis
* Sister Hattie Garner Barrows (Pine Grove Baptist Church)
* Sister Ernestine Hall's mother-in-law (Mrs. Annie Bell Hall)
* Sister Harriett Littlepage
* Brother Percy Powers
* Sister Lestine Belew
* Sister Claudia Vassar -- as she deals with serious chronic hypertension
* Sister Linda Drake -- going through an employment discrimination suit
* Sister Ozelle Green
* Sister Jenella Lymon, Brother Dana Lymon, Jenell, Patrick, Jenetta, Joshua & Demoris
* Sister Jacklin Mitchell & baby
* Sister Ruby J. Lynch
* Brother Don Derrick
* Sister Robin Buckner
* Sister Diedre Stanford
* Brother Craig & Sister Twila Carodine and family
* Mr. Barney Hamner (father of Sister Denise Hose's co-worker Blane Hamner)
* Brother Floyd Hughes asks that we pray for for Heather Fields, 14 year old daughter of one of his co-workers
* Ms. Tiffany Aaron & baby girl
* Sister Harriett Jones -- currently in remission
* Sister Estella Darwin's brother (Mr. Judge Strong)
* Deacon Sam Patton's wife, Helen Patton
* Sister Tamara Frazier, friend of Sister Elizabeth Hurt's co-worker ? in last stages of terminal cancer
* Baby girl Gloria Alabi [daughter of Ola & Toun Alabi]
* Nevia
* Mr. William Hornsby (a coworker of Reverend Carlisle Hammonds) and his gravely ill mother
* Jamie -- 23 year old AAMU May 2000 graduate with rare form of cancer.
* Sister Dorothy Thomas' husband, Mr. Clyde Thomas
* Brother Dinismore Robinson, Jr.
* Sisters Beverly & Carolyn Love's father
* Sister Irene Pope (wife of Brother Sam Pope)
* Sister Karen Waterford's sister (Ms. Marva Campbell)
* Nine year-old Joshua Douelee, who has cystic fibrosis (and his father)
* Mr. Frank Briglia (co-worker of Brother Marion Walker @ TBE)
* A young woman who is in a spiritual "war"; youth struggling with various issues
* Sister Velma Battle (mother of Brother John Battle & sister of Sister Helen Jamar & Brother Al Nance)
* Brother Clint Davis, Sr. (brother of Sister Sadie Powers)
* Sisters Hessie Blalock, Mary Johnson, Margaret Kelly, Gloria McDonald, Karen Croom, Christine Overholt; Brother Ben Snodgrass
* Lindsey (4-year-old daughter of Terry Jones, a MSFC employee) undergoing chemotherapy and radiation @ Birmingham Children's Hospital
* Ms. Janice Burns (Gloria Ayers co-worker) -- in treatment for 3rd recurrence of cancer.
* Mr. Reginald Lee Pickens
* Mr. Dwight Brown - a cancer patient & friend of Sister Lettye Boyd
* Two unsaved neighbors of Deacon Erwin & Sister Lelia Gray
* Davis Hills, Colonial Hills & the other Northwest Huntsville Schools
* Mr. Lawrence Drake - brother of Bro. Cornell Drake
* Nathaniel - a 6 month old baby born with a dime-size hole in his heart
* Michael Wheeler -- an 8-year-old boy going through some difficulties

5. RECUPERATING AT HOME: Sisters Susie Bone, Sadie Bailey, Jessie Buford, Bessie Grayson, Frances Holloway, Ollie Harris, Edna Fails, Patricia Cox, Willie Mae Farrar, Josephine Humphrey, Queen Ester Ewing; Brother Marion Phillips

6. HEALTHCARE FACILITIES: Reverend John Ewing (Big Spring Specialty Center); Sisters Alberta Harris, Mildred Seay, Pearl Robinson, Lizzie Hambrick, and Herman Dixie (Windsor House: Room 316).

6A. NON-MEMBERS IN HEALTH-CARE FACILITIES (BIG SPRING SPECIALTY CARE CENTER): Reverend W. A. Donaldson (former pastor of St. James P. B. Church & Sister Dessie Turner (Mt. Zion Baptist Church)

7. ELDERLY/SHUT-IN MEMBERS: Brother William & Sister Vera Burks, Sister Sarah Humphrey (Chattanooga, TN), Deacon Elvin Grigsby, Sisters Louise Rice,
Essie Miller, Rose Blackburn, & Jennie Gaines

8. BEREAVEMENT CONCERNS:
* Funeral service for Sister Mattie Pruitt's brother (Joe Patrick will be Friday @ 10:00 a.m. in Savannah, GA - William & Williams Funeral Home on Gwinette Street in charge of arrangements)

* Funeral service for Deacon Leonard Jackson's mother (Mrs. Willie Pearl Jackson) will be Saturday 2/24/01 @ 12:00 p.m. at the Liberty Primitive Baptist Church.

* Funeral service for Sister Agrippa Bass' aunt (Mrs. Arleane Orr) will be Saturday @ 1:00 p.m. @ Mt. Moriah United Methodist Church in Talucah, AL (Morgan County).

* Funeral service for Sister Lelia Gray's aunt (Mrs. Dorothy Stone) will be Saturday @ 1:00 p.m. in Nortonville, Kentucky (Mason Funeral Home - Madisonville, KY in charge of arrangements).

* Funeral service for Sister Ovetta Hobson-Johnson's aunt (Mrs. Johnnie Hobson-Griffin) will be Saturday 2/24/01 @ 1:00 p.m. at the Springfield Baptist Church in Sawyerville, AL.

* Funeral service for Sister Gloria Batts & Sister Veronica Curtis' aunt (Mrs. Laura Smith) will be Saturday @ 11:00 a.m. in Louisville, KY (Williamson & Son Funeral Home in charge of arrangements).

* Funeral service for Brother Clarence Jones (son of Reverend & Mrs. McKinley Jones) will be here on Saturday @ 2:30 p.m. Brother Jones wife (Sandra Bryant Jones) is a former FMBC member.

* Funeral arrangements are unavailable for Sister Doris Stewart's nephew (Boston, MA).

PLEASE PRAY FOR THESE AND OTHER BEREAVED FAMILIES IN OUR COMMUNITY.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A CHUCKLE FOR YOU: A crow was sitting on a tree, doing nothing all day. A small rabbit noticed the crow, and asked, "Can I sit like you and do nothing all day long?"
The crow answered, "Sure, why not." So, the rabbit sat on the ground below the crow, and rested. All of a sudden, a fox appeared, jumped on the rabbit and ate it.
Moral Of The Story: To be sitting and doing nothing, you must be sitting very, very high up.

BLESSINGS!
Earla Lockhart
And on the fourth day they assembled in the Valley of Berachah, for there they blessed the LORD; therefore the name of that place was called The Valley of Berachah until this day. (2 Chronicles 20:26)

MD, next time you see my Aunt Eleanor Batts and Uncle Fred at First Baptist, tell them their nephew in Memphis said hello...,

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Ugggh, MD, what's the membership there??? Did you lift that bulletin off the site,or are you the church secretary??

Anyways, a special prayer is going up. God bless you and your church family.

Alexxus, I guess it may be around two thousand or more. We have two services.

It came off the site.

Mighty Dog

<font color=maroon>The World Renowned BETHUNE-COOKMAN COLLEGE CONCERT CHORALE under the direction of the legendary Dr. Rebecca Walker Steele announces its:

Middle Tennessee Tour

3/3 - Sat. The University of The South - Sewanee, TN - 7:30 p.m.

3/4 - SUN. First UMC - Hendersonville, TN -11:00a.m.

Brentwood UMC - Brentwood, TN - 7:00 p.m.

3/5 - Mon. Middle Tennessee State University - Wendy Thompson - Murfreesboro, TN - 7:00 p.m.

3/6 - Tues. 15th Avenue Baptist Church-Nashville,TN -7:00 p.m.

3/7 - Wed. Clark Memorial UMC - Nashville, TN - 7:00 p.m.

3/8 - Thurs. 6th Avenue Baptist Church-Birmingham, AL-7:00 p.m. *bring your cam corder!!!

*say HI to Dr. Steele me please (using my "real name" of course :D )</font color=maroon>

I should be in B'ham on that date because of the SWAC Basketball Tournment. If I stay overnight, I will try to go by.

Is everybody at our church SICK? And who is Reverend Dr. Edward Jones. I know i havent been to church in about 2 or 3 years but is this another associate minister. Is Rev. Lockheart still there? I am coming home this weekend maybe i need to go to church Sunday. Everybody i know is SICK.

Back