What is it?

usa today

Sgt Backfire
What is it about Louisiana bands(high school and colleges)/and football(high school and colleges)? For example SU and GSU are the most famous bands in the world both with great accomplishments , LSU,GSU and SU have powerhouse football teams . Su and Gsu are always the number one or number 2 ranked teams in the swac and probably black college football. What separates Louisiana from other states band wise and football wise?

F ootball wise.......TEXAS is the THE pR emE ir StatE . Bandwise.....P ersO nally, there'S noT hing to do in Louisiana but band.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well in my opinion i think tha Da Boot has everything. You have LSU who is playing for the National Title against OU. GSU and SU who is always playing for the SWAC if SU wins this will be the 6th str8 year that a team from Louisiana was Swac Champs and BCF Champions. Then you have 2 of the most popular bands in the land in SU and GSU. So we have the football teams and the bands to play for them.

Originally posted by World Famed
Well in my opinion i think tha Da Boot has everything. You have LSU who is playing for the National Title against OU. GSU and SU who is always playing for the SWAC if SU wins this will be the 6th str8 year that a team from Louisiana was Swac Champs and BCF Champions. Then you have 2 of the most popular bands in the land in SU and GSU. So we have the football teams and the bands to play for them.

BUT YOU RANK 51 OUT OF 51 STATES IN EDUCATION:rolleyes:

The Texas highschool state football game yesterday (division I-25 I think...we have like four divisions) had a crowd of 35,000 at Rice university. Louisiana may have a monopoly on band PARTICIPATION. But THE FOOTBALL STATE IS TEXAS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE. This is a known national fact. Florida, Georgia Virginia and South Carolina are next in line for football. Get it right folks.....get out of that ignant box you're living in.;)

Originally posted by lilC
The Texas highschool state football game yesterday (division I-25 I think...we have like four divisions) had a crowd of 35,000 at Rice university. Louisiana may have a monopoly on band PARTICIPATION. But THE FOOTBALL STATE IS TEXAS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE. This is a known national fact. Florida, Georgia Virginia and South Carolina are next in line for football. Get it right folks.....get out of that ignant box you're living in.;)

I think he is mainly talking about SWAC, and HBCU's!!!!!!!

Keep sleeping the direction LSU has taken football wise is a direction Texas been taking, recruiting with in their state.....LSU was too...ummmm umm to recruit these great BLACK high school football players that always end up at SU or go out to another state to play ball....

LSU has taken the right direction, now look where they are at now!!!!!!!!!

Playing for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!

There is no question, Louisiana has the best FOOTBALL programs SWAC wise.....

It's funny these Texas people quick to wanna ride the coat tail of you know who......

Compare TxSU and PV to SU and GSU....:emlaugh:

Originally posted by SUtrp96
I think he is mainly talking about SWAC, and HBCU's!!!!!!!

Keep sleeping the direction LSU has taken football wise is a direction Texas been taking, recruiting with in their state.....LSU was too...ummmm umm to recruit these great BLACK high school football players that always end up at SU or go out to another state to play ball....

LSU has taken the right direction, now look where they are at now!!!!!!!!!

Playing for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!

There is no question, Louisiana has the best FOOTBALL programs SWAC wise.....

It's funny these Texas people quick to wanna ride the coat tail of you know who......

Compare TxSU and PV to SU and GSU....:emlaugh:

1. He stupidly referred to a whole state. Ignorance.

2. Texas recruits within its own state anyway. You must not follow football.

3. again 35,000 at a highschool State Championship. That's proof in the pudding.

4. No one in TX is riding the coat tail of country arse Louisiana. Go find someone that is and I'll betcha his arse is alone. Take that "Louisana is greater" bullshat on somewhere. It's the biggest lie in the world.

West Monroe aganst Evangle Christian Academy had over 50,000 at their last 3 meetings they average 40,000 people when ever they play each other so come on bruh.

Now take that and the number of divisions you have in Louisiana for 5-a and compare that to the Texas average and you'll still get Texas having a larger fan base for football. It's true man. Texas is THE football state. Now till Sutrpt96 tried to get all ignant with me, I'm not taking nothing from Louisiana but dang if usa today didn't come on here talking alot of nonsense to simply brag on one's supposed "superiority". Just utter bullshat.:rolleyes: Truth be told, how come he didn't make a post about how the atmosphere for sports and music is different in every state? Why'd he have to make a post about who's "better"? smh

On any given week, the University Interscholastic League of Texas estimates that there are close to 600 high school games across the Lone Star State, involving nearly 40,000 players ? 100,000 if you count the non-varsity game.

- this was in an ABC news article

Here's one from the AP

High school sports participation at record high
Thursday, September 4, 2003 Posted: 10:49 AM EDT (1449 GMT)

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (AP) -- More high school students are playing sports in the United States than ever before, and girls are closing the participation gap in a hurry.

Boys still outnumber girls in sports by more than a million, according to the latest survey by the National Federation of State High School Associations. But the bulk of the difference comes from football, and there is no girls sport with comparable numbers.

"The girls figures have pretty much been on a rise ever since the survey was started, because they got off to a slower start," NFHS spokesman Bruce Howard said Wednesday.

NFHS has been surveying its member associations from the 50 states and the District of Columbia since 1971, and the number of girls competing in one or more sports rose by more than 49,000 last year to a record 2,856,358.

The number of boys in sports increased just over 28,000 to 3,988,738, not a record but the most in 25 years.

"The mid to late '70s was kind of the height of the baby boom era, and there was an increase in enrollment and participation," Howard said. "It trickled back down again, but really, since the mid to late '80s we've had a gradual climb upward in both enrollment and participation."

The total of about 6.9 million boys and girls last year marked the 14th straight year with an increase in participation and the fifth straight year with a record number of participants.

Also, the rate of participation as a percentage of the total student enrollment continued to rise.

Basketball remained the most popular sport for girls, with 457,165 participants. Next were outdoor track and field (415,602), volleyball (396,682), softball (357,912), soccer (301,450), cross country (163,360), tennis (162,810) and swimming and diving (141,468).

For boys, the greatest participation was in football, with 1,023,142. Basketball was next with 540,874 participants, followed by outdoor track and field (498,027), baseball (453,792), soccer (345,156), wrestling (239,845), cross country (191,833), golf (162,805), tennis (144,844) and swimming and diving (94,612).

Texas remained the state with the most participants with 771,633, followed by California (652,333), New York (336,987), Illinois (319,727), Michigan (304,971), Ohio (301,885), Pennsylvania (249,985), Minnesota (220,219), Florida (212,408) and New Jersey (209,452).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Now take that and the number of divisions you have in Louisiana for 5-a and compare that to the Texas average and you'll still get Texas having a larger fan base for football.
But, Isnt Texas a bigger state with the possibility to have more people to support? I think that Louisiana has a bigger fan base per-capita than Texas not that Texas has low fan support, but for the population of La. the fan base is bigger here.
:D

Dude you are not telling me nothing new....I know Texas recruit within it's own!!!!!!! THAT'S WHY I SAID LSU is taking the SAME direction that of FLORIDA and TEXAS!!!!!!!

I SAID COMPARE SU/GSU to TxSU/PV

I "believe" that is where ole boy was coming from....

Originally posted by Prof K
But, Isnt Texas a bigger state with the possibility to have more people to support? I think that Louisiana has a bigger fan base per-capita than Texas not that Texas has low fan support, but for the population of La. the fan base is bigger here.
:D
That state size arguement is weak. Try something else.

Someone tell these boys how even the "out'n'the'middle'of'nowhere" HS pull sellouts...like Lufkin. I passed one of there football games, before game time...you could've swore that was a college game.

I'd have to see more evidence from La's stand point. Cuz, HS football is almost unreal out here.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by usa today
What is it about Louisiana bands(high school and colleges)/and football(high school and colleges)? For example SU and GSU are the most famous bands in the world both with great accomplishments , LSU,GSU and SU have powerhouse football teams . Su and Gsu are always the number one or number 2 ranked teams in the swac and probably black college football. What separates Louisiana from other states band wise and football wise?

Really? The MOST FAMOUS in the WORLD???????? On whose standards...........the standards of the great state of Louisiana? If that's so......then I can understand your arugument.....
:goof:
But

Sicnce the state of Louisiana does not represent the entire world.....much less the entire U.S.A. then it is safe to assume that this comment is invalid and pure B.S.

Thank you......

Carry on.

Originally posted by usa today

Looking at your post again I think you should have said what is it about La football in the SWAC. To make that an overall statement about La football is crazy. SU and GSU may domintate the SWAC but fair just about as well as the rest of the SWAC teams once they leave the realm of the SWAC. Then you only have LSU to compare to a number of good Texas college teams. And finaly I would like to line up the La high schools with some of those West Texas HS's and see what happens.

Str8 massacre!:emlaugh:

One of those public LA highschools vs a West Texas, heyall even Southeast, East, Northeast, Northwest Texas highschool football team. It would be MURDER.:emlaugh: Hmmmmmm....Westlake Carroll or Odessa Permian vs. one of Louisiana's top teams....good game maybe but c'mon, no contest.

Str8 massacre!:emlaugh:

One of those public LA highschools vs a West Texas, heyall even Southeast, East, Northeast, Northwest Texas highschool football team. It would be MURDER.:emlaugh: Hmmmmmm....Westlake Carroll or Odessa Permian vs. one of Louisiana's top teams....good game maybe but c'mon, no contest.

That's only what you think!!!!!!!

I am not saying New Orleans has the BEST in LOUISIANA cause they don't...However we produce great players, such as Marshell Faulk, Payton Manning, Ely Manning, several others that are in the league....

Before LSU wasn't grabbing these great players putting them all on one team, like Texas school and Florida were doing....But they are now..

Another thing you must realize, here in New Orleans there is a high school dayum near on every corner...So the talent is spreaded out too dayum much....Where as if you go to Texas, and average high school population is almost are probably more than an average SAIC or SWAC school.

Now it is different any where else other than New Orleans....Because any where else other than New Orleans in the state of Louisiana is just like or not too far off from any Texas school......

Texas is a bigger state than Louisiana, hence a bigger population, but I doubt one city in Texas has as many public schools than the city of New Orleans alone.

But believe I do know the deal with Texas athletics, they are great...But don't sleep on Louisiana....LSU is proving that....

No one from TX said anything about sleeping on Louisiana football. But the thread started out to sleep on Texas football and Texas football still has even an average PARTICIPATION higher than any state in the nation in sports PERIOD. Even if Texas had cities where we had more highschools than Lousiana it would be the same. The Houston area is about 50-60 square miles. Within that, school districts and zoning concentrate sports, musical and academic talent to schools that are normally 5a with some 4a schools. But most of us on here from Texas are also talking about the 2a and 3a teams in this state that regularly send kids throughout the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, Southland and yes.....Hawaii. I don't doubt LSU's potential. I do doubt that it will be long lived. Matter of fact, I expect SU and Grambling to pass LSU's potential (see FAMU and where they could be headed).

No one from TX said anything about sleeping on Louisiana football. But the thread started out to sleep on Texas football and Texas football still has even an average PARTICIPATION higher than any state in the nation in sports PERIOD. Even if Texas had cities where we had more highschools than Lousiana it would be the same. The Houston area is about 50-60 square miles. Within that, school districts and zoning concentrate sports, musical and academic talent to schools that are normally 5a with some 4a schools. But most of us on here from Texas are also talking about the 2a and 3a teams in this state that regularly send kids throughout the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, Southland and yes.....Hawaii. I don't doubt LSU's potential. I do doubt that it will be long lived. Matter of fact, I expect SU and Grambling to pass LSU's potential (see FAMU and where they could be headed).

Trust me, if a city in Texas talent was spreaded out as much as New Orleans trust they wouldn't what you think.........

When you have a school that attracts student within more than a 20 to 30 mile radius, you will dayum near have an district all-star team each year.....

I seriously do think LSU will have a long lived future, the direction they are going in..... It ain't like LSU was far off anyways, LSU always did a good football team.....But they are doing what needs to be done to remain consistant.....

The Houston area is about 4-5 million people. Even if we had more schools that would only concentrate the talent to kids who are closer to each other and play summer football more tightly than ever. AND seeing as how Texas really is that big.......it would only make the idea of Texas highschools playing out of state highschools at any time simply unheard of and not wanted. But it wouldn't be US who would be trying not to see such a game.

The Houston area is about 4-5 million people. Even if we had more schools that would only concentrate the talent to kids who are closer to each other and play summer football more tightly than ever. AND seeing as how Texas really is that big.......it would only make the idea of Texas highschools playing out of state highschools at any time simply unheard of and not wanted. But it wouldn't be US who would be trying not to see such a game.

Trust me, I know........

Speaking on New Orleans behalf......the school system is too segregated to ever compete on such a level....All of the talented white are at 3 to 4 different private schools here in New Orleans, and what used to be the BEST black athletes were usually recruited to St.AUG....... So THERE for all of the 20(+) 90% black public schools in New Orleans suffer.....Don't get me wrong they get talent but, the neighbor hood BEST ends up going to ST.AUG...But thing are chaning a bit now, which is why St.Aug isn't the force they used to be, and now PUBLIC schools here in New Orleans are now beating them....

The past 3 year our public schools athletics been building and building!!!!!! because the neighborhood best are now attending their neighborhood school......New Orleans is now seeing a change...

Originally posted by SUtrp96
Trust me, I know........

Speaking on New Orleans behalf......the school system is too segregated to ever compete on such a level....All of the talented white are at 3 to 4 different private schools here in New Orleans, and what used to be the BEST black athletes were usually recruited to St.AUG....... So THERE for all of the 20(+) 90% black public schools in New Orleans suffer.....Don't get me wrong they get talent but, the neighbor hood BEST ends up going to ST.AUG...But thing are chaning a bit now, which is why St.Aug isn't the force they used to be, and now PUBLIC schools here in New Orleans are now beating them....

The past 3 year our public schools athletics been building and building!!!!!! because the neighborhood best are now attending their neighborhood school......New Orleans is now seeing a change...

People must be finally stepping up as far as what happens to the schools their taxes pay for and their kids go to...

Plus, someone at the top needs to realize that it takes more than just the basics to get a true educational experience. The suburban districts get it, why don't ours?

Back