What Has Happened To Grambling's Band Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you won't hear me dissing my band or my school to a bunch of naysayers and haters who act as if they have no room for improvement their own selves. See, I'm woman enough to call Dr. Pannell and talk to him directly. I'm woman enough to call the GSU President and talk to him directly. I don't air GSU's dirty laundry to folks who need as much or more help than we do.

Please DO NOT THINK that that band of yours got it all together coz it DOES NOT. Get some discipline and sound/tone balance. Get some class. One characteristic of class is not putting others down to make yourself look good.

You can call me dumb all you want to, mustard. You don't validate me. You got me bent, little one.

Well it's clear they don't listen when "you" call because they come out sounding like crap pretty much every year..

The only years they come out pretty decent is when they get lucky enough to get alot of talent and kids who really are motivated...

~Finished talkin' to the person that don't know isht about BAND...:vomit: ~

Come on nah' juke... yall know we don't have to ask no GSU person whats the problem.... Any musician know what their problemSSSS are...

Besides it's only a hand full of GSU folk that will admit their problems and those are the very few that gets in their band face and tell it like it is...

These sound problems dates back early as I can remember listing to GSU....

There is no real effort put towards MUSIC... it's more effort put towards DANCING and their SHOW....

Half way through the seaon they barely have 6 TUNES... I KNOW this because this info comes from one of their arrangers (WHOM I marched with in high school, and has been on GSU staff)... It's really sad...

There is no way a college band with all those tools and talent don't work hard enough to make sure they SOUND right before anything...

It don't bother me much... but it would be nice to have another Louisiana band sound up to par to make the Bayou BOTB more entertaining....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
SU folks y'all know y'all need to quit it!

Y'all don't give two shyts about Gramblings band...

:D

lol....

I guess the only thing we care about is HAVING to sit through the BS EVERY YEAR!!!!

I mean it would be great to hear improvements each year... but to come year after year and YOU sound like a MIDDLE school or over blowing HIGH SCHOOL at best gets old....

I mean we get tired of telling the SAME jokes... it's starts to get annoying...

Ain't nothing worse than ALUMNI who don't know shyt about music defending that CRAP!!

This is no smack. A great musician (saxophonist), whom I marched in high school band with, received a full music scholarship to attend Grambling. During my freshman year (1983) in Southern's band, we met up at Bayou Classic and he told me he should have attended Southern instead of Grambling, .because Southern's music program had a lot more to offer than Grambling's music program. Out of flustration, the young man dropped out of school and moved to Los Angeles to continue his music career. IMO, if he would have attended Southern and from connections along, he probably would have became a well-known jazz saxophonist.

Last edited:
This is no smack. A great musician (saxophonist), whom I marched in high school band with, received a full music scholarship to attend Grambling. During my freshman year (1983) in the Southern's band, we met up at Bayou Classic and he told me he should have attended Southern instead of Grambling, .because Southern's music program had a lot more to offer than Grambling's music program. Out of flustration, the young man dropped out of school and moved to Los Angeles to continue his music career. IMO, if he would have attended Southern and from connections along, he probably would have became a well-known jazz saxophonist.

With Mr. Baptiste ... yes indeed he would have...

With Mr. Baptiste ... yes indeed he would have...

It's ashame that a lot of our great musicians get overlooked due to the fact that the programs that lures them concentrates more on shaking their azzes and putting pictures on the field instead of the basic fundumentals of marching and playing music.

Last edited:
It's ashame that a lot of our great musicians get overlooked due to the fact that the programs that lures them concentrates more on shaking their azzes and putting pictures on the field instead of the basic fundumentals of marching and playing music.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.:lol: Your homeboy had to be weak because there are many successful people that came from this program. I guess he didn't have any personal pride. Just because we don't stand still just like every other band on planet earth and we can do what we do doesn't mean it's wrong. A fool would even think that is the major focus and it's even shocking to me that the jags are flocking to this thread. Gotta love it.:emlaugh::emlaugh:

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.:lol: Your homeboy had to be weak because there are many successful people that came from this program. I guess he didn't have any personal pride. Just because we don't stand still just like every other band on planet earth and we can do what we do doesn't mean it's wrong. A fool would even think that is the major focus and it's even shocking to me that the jags are flocking to this thread. Gotta love it.:emlaugh::emlaugh:

Man I been beyond smacking gsu for the same shyt EVERY year.. I'm just ready for yall to build a respectable "college" sounding band.....
Yall field shows is what it is... either folk will like it or not.... But sounding good should be standard....

Man I been beyond smacking gsu for the same shyt EVERY year.. I'm just ready for yall to build a respectable "college" sounding band.....
Yall field shows is what it is... either folk will like it or not.... But sounding good should be standard....

True, so i don't blame the students and don't feel they should be ridiculed time and time again to discourage them. They are going to do what they are allowed to do and i'm not in the business to degrade students that aren't being led correctly. My philosophy is "everything starts at the top" and the band itself reflects the directors so putting the band itself on blast is irrelevant: now putting the staff on blast, i'm for that. They staff needa to be in the negative lime light so things can change and if they feel they wanna do things the same way they can leave. I don't think the pannellgottgo.com was enough. LMAO

Last edited:
This is no smack. A great musician (saxophonist), whom I marched in high school band with, received a full music scholarship to attend Grambling. During my freshman year (1983) in Southern's band, we met up at Bayou Classic and he told me he should have attended Southern instead of Grambling, .because Southern's music program had a lot more to offer than Grambling's music program. Out of flustration, the young man dropped out of school and moved to Los Angeles to continue his music career. IMO, if he would have attended Southern and from connections along, he probably would have became a well-known jazz saxophonist.

So it's Gram's fault your boy dropped out of school?:retard:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
So it's Gram's fault your boy dropped out of school?:retard:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I guess it was his fault for dropping out after being there for at least two years, but it is still a damn shame that certain programs don't have much to offer. Now tell me this, why haven't Grambing produced any well-known professional musicians in recent years?

I guess it was his fault for dropping out after being there for at least two years, but it is still a damn shame that certain programs don't have much to offer. Now tell me this, why haven't Grambing produced any well-known professional musicians in recent years?

Man I don't know and I don't give a fugg! :lol:

But tell me this...why are you so concerned about it? :noidea:

Are they graduating students, helping them to get jobs in the field they want to enter? The answer is "yes" to both of those questions so what's the problem? B/c they don't have "well known musicians".

It's an instituion of Higher Learning...not Motown, Def Jam or any other big record producer.

Are you a big time musician or big time "whatever" in your field? IF not...does that mean SU failed at its purpose?

Y"all got me in here defending Grams sorry azz...I hate you! :mad:

Are they graduating students, helping them to get jobs in the field they want to enter? The answer is "yes" to both of those questions so what's the problem? B/c they don't have "well known musicians".

It's an instituion of Higher Learning...not Motown, Def Jam or any other big record producer.

Are you a big time musician or big time "whatever" in your field? IF not...does that mean SU failed at its purpose?

:p

WOW... I ain't know you was this much in "love" with GSU....

Very fitting though.... :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Since you know much about Grambling and elected to defend them, I thought it was appropriate for me to ask you the question pertaining to their musical professionalism.

Yep, with real, earned degrees. Not a bought one from the Blue Light Special at K-Mart.

:lol::lol::lol: at you, SouthSub. Too funny!!!!

Oh, and by the way: they can't compete with you guys either.

Last edited:
From reading only a few gram folk post who aren't affiliated with the band I think I know the problem now..
It's people that have NO clue of what they are doing running the program.. just like it's folk in here from gsu that don't have a clue of marching band trying to run a marching band convo.

It just comes off as...:retard:

oh yeah...

lol @ SS... too funny....

SMH @ thinking GSU is some kinda' competition...
In case she don't know jsu drag for gsu more than anybody on here as if late.....

Oh well... should have been around here with ALL of jsu came on here asking why in the hell GSU showed up to that SCG BOTB...... And when they were saying...

"SU, we know seehow yall feel... we can't see how yall do this every year with them..."

Now that was very funny SS...

:lol:

Last edited:
I only read the first post on this thread. All I have to say is this Grambling's band does not sound good. They were good back in the day's and they have had some decent years in 03 and 05 but 09's GSU band was not good at all sorry people.

From reading only a few gram folk post who aren't affiliated with the band I think I know the problem now..
It's people that have NO clue of what they are doing running the program.. just like it's folk in here from gsu that don't have a clue of marching band trying to run a marching band convo.

It just comes off as...:retard:

oh yeah...

lol @ SS... too funny....

SMH @ thinking GSU is some kinda' competition...
In case she don't know jsu drag for gsu more than anybody on here as if late.....

Oh well... should have been around here with ALL of jsu came on here asking why in the hell GSU showed up to that SCG BOTB...... And when they were saying...
"SU, we know seehow yall feel... we can't see how yall do this every year with them..."

Now that was very funny SS...

:lol:

First off...that was OUR thread started about Gram so yes, we gonna talk shyt! :D

I never said Gram's band sound good...I"m like you...this is nothing new to me they've always suck as far as I can remember :noidea:

But what got me about SU posters in here was they were trying to act like they really give a daymn about Gram's band/music program. Trying to say, "this aint smack...but..."!! THen made up excuses like, "oh...the Bayou Classic is anti-climatic and we want Gram to sound good...", :retard:

Get that shyt out of here!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

THen made up excuses like, "oh...the Bayou Classic is anti-climatic and we want Gram to sound good...", :retard:

Trust we DO. It would build to a much better ending, and a competition more befitting of the BIGGEST HBCU football game of the season. We might as well be up against Savannah State, as far as I'm concerned. If we gonna keep murdalizing :vomit:*ramblin EVERY YEAR at the botb, I'm sure the Jukebox would much rather spend that time out on Bourbon or Canal, gettin lit.

Last edited:
First off...that was OUR thread started about Gram so yes, we gonna talk shyt! :D

I never said Gram's band sound good...I"m like you...this is nothing new to me they've always suck as far as I can remember :noidea:

But what got me about SU posters in here was they were trying to act like they really give a daymn about Gram's band/music program. Trying to say, "this aint smack...but..."!! THen made up excuses like, "oh...the Bayou Classic is anti-climatic and we want Gram to sound good...", :retard:

Umm SS we all aren't :retard: as you and ol girl....

Folks in here and folk I know from SU really do want to HEAR a much better GSU band...

Now we really could give a shat about jsu band... yall want to sound like a loud New Orleans band go right a head.. makes me no never mind...

But after ALL these years of gsu sounding the way they have a history of sounding... we (SU) folk would like to hear a better product from gsu...

It's ain't the members...they are not working on their music as much as their show and you can hear it....

Now if you feel like smacking get your silly ass out of here and start a new thread since it seems as if you want some attention.. but stop using gsu as a crutch to gain the attention you are seeking... it is coming off sorta'...:retard:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back