What browser do you use?

silentrage

Delta Girl
It seems that more and more people are distancing themselves from using Internet Explorer because of security issues, spyware, or just dislike of the browser. I read yesterday that MS is planning on updating their browser:

Full article

Microsoft Corp. will release a new version of Internet Explorer, the world's most widely used Internet browsing software, with new, built-in security features, Chairman Bill Gates said Tuesday.

"We have decided to do a new version of Internet Explorer, this is IE 7," Gates said at the RSA Security Conference being held in San Francisco.

The world's largest software maker had not previously indicated whether it planned to release a new version of IE.

Recently, however, Microsoft's browser has been facing competition for the first time in years from the Firefox browser, a free Web browser developed by a network of software programmers.

The new version of IE, which will be released for preliminary testing this summer, will have new protections against viruses, spyware and "phishing" scams, which fool users into entering sensitive information on Web pages that appear to be legitimate.

Gates said security remains the biggest threat to the "fantastic advances" happening in the world of technology, and that Microsoft was spending more than a third of its annual $6 billion in research and development spending on security.

The move comes three years after Microsoft, the world's biggest software company, launched a major initiative to improve the reliability and security of its software, which runs on about 90 percent of all personal computers.

Analysts have said that tech-savvy users are switching to Firefox because it offers better security as well as some features that are not available on IE.

Which browser do you use? Why? Do you find that firefox is faster and more reliable than IE?

I use Safari or Firefox. The only time I use IE is when a website doesn't like Safari or Firefox or when I need to access the wireless network on campus. Even then, I don't use IE I just leave it running in the background and surf the web with Safari/Firefox. I don't even have the icon for IE on my dock.

I use IE and Firefox most of the time. I develop web applications for a living so I have to test my apps in a variety of web browsers including AOL, etc. I have noticed some within CSS (casading style sheets) don't render the same way in Firefox as they do in IE.

I use only firefox on my home pc or laptop. Now some websites force you into using IE, but if I can avoid IE, I will.

The funny thing is that Microsuck will claim they are increasing features when they are really just plugging up the shatty loopholes they left in the first place. I really don't look for IE 7 to be any better. On top of that hackers will target it just for fun.

To tell the truth I believe you will only have a decently secure product if it is open source. If you think about it....how do you really hack open source. Anyone can find the same vulnerability and anyone can fix it just as easy as it can be exploited.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
The funny thing is that Microsuck will claim they are increasing features when they are really just plugging up the shatty loopholes they left in the first place. I really don't look for IE 7 to be any better. On top of that hackers will target it just for fun.

To tell the truth I believe you will only have a decently secure product if it is open source. If you think about it....how do you really hack open source. Anyone can find the same vulnerability and anyone can fix it just as easy as it can be exploited.

Good point. I guess that is why the Mozilla browsers are so stable and popular.

Has anyone downloaded version 1.01 of Firefox. For some reason, I can't get any website sites from coming up. It just freezes the search trying to pull any website.

I still use IE.
Of course I have licensed copies of Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus, and AdAware running. I don't have problems with viruses, pop-ups, hackers or spyware ... anymore.

I use FireFox (the current version of the original Netscape).

I don't care what IE does, I am not going back to that Microsoft Bull Sh!t unless I am forced to by Microsoft.

When I run spybot and it tells me that my computers are clean, I do not regret putting IE down.

I have partners who have had problems with spyware and pop-ups. I've told them to use ad-aware and a spyware program to clean them up, then start using FireFox.

Why I get a call from my partner asking for help because his machine is running slow? My first question was "Are you using FireFox", when he said "NO, I'm using IE", I said I can't help you.

From my personal experience ad-aware is the biggest piece of sh!t ever. It was so crappy that I stop using it and took my chances running raw. Unless the company made some major modifications, ad-aware is still a huge pile of smelly sh!t.

Even if the untility has had a major overhaul, I still would never recommend it to anyone, friend or enemy.

Spybot is the way to go. I like the popus when spybot alerts me that something is trying to modify my registry. Also, I like the way that spybot will display registry paths when it detects previous installs of spyware after you install spybot.

spybot is A-rated in my book.

You like bragging on your salary, don't you? You need to share some of that wealth you have, since you so looted the fugg up.

:lol:

pv_symbiotic said:
Spybot is the way to go. I like the popus when spybot alerts me that something is trying to modify my registry.

spybot is A-rated in my book.

How do you get spybot to give you those alerts?

By default spybot pops up with a window that tells you if something is trying to add or delete entries from your registry. The pop up window also gives you the option of allowing the change or denying the change.

If I am not installing software, I always tell spybot to deny the change to my registry.

Back