What are some HBCU athletic issues that don't get that attention they deserve?

If non-black media looked into how some of our schools go all in on football while neglecting their women's sports, they would be ashamed.

People like to staying saying Valley needs to go D2 but when your D1 sports are getting spanked by NAIA and D3 teams because they just started offering schollies then they would be quiet

If non-black media looked into how some of our schools go all in on football while neglecting their women's sports, they would be ashamed.
Hmmm...any examples of this? How are women's sports being neglected? I know for Title IX reasons there are more women's sports programs than men.

Hmmm...any examples of this? How are women's sports being neglected? I know for Title IX reasons there are more women's sports programs than men.

I can speak first hand for soccer and softball. I won't name specific schools but I do end up having conversations with the refs and a hand full of SIDs. One of these SIDs said one school just started offering soccer schollies for their players and it shows. You can tell the schools that focus on 1-2 sports and kind of half a** the rest. Just like I can with the naked eye tell the difference between Valley and a team like Louisiana Tech (speed, size, team depth), you can tell the difference between Valley and the low level SWAC teams.

I will name Grambling specifically because you can tell they have more of a vested interest in soccer because it shows with their investment in coaching and/or players recruited in just 2-3 years. Southern also got significantly deeper and it appears they might be heading in the right direction

Last edited:
Not enough AD autonomy. The Ivory Tower Academics pretending they know what's best for athletics. Stooges hired as ADs (friends, kin and frat brothers).

When is the last time you've seen a SWAC AD spearhead an athletics fundraising campaign, managed by an independent athletics foundation, with no micromanagement by a president & henchmen, or ham handed, shadetree trustees?

We dont need white folk to cause us harm... we do enough to ourselves

Not enough AD autonomy. The Ivory Tower Academics pretending they know what's best for athletics. Stooges hired as ADs (friends, kin and frat brothers).

When is the last time you've seen a SWAC AD spearhead an athletics fundraising campaign, managed by an independent athletics foundation, with no micromanagement by a president & henchmen, or ham handed, shadetree trustees?

We dont need white folk to cause us harm... we do enough to ourselves

Correct. We need to start to running our programs like a business. Because, we spend to much time on bullshyt.

Here's another one

How many SWAC ADs requested and were declined budget increases that would have possibly saved nearly the entire conference from APR problems?

How many ADs didn't bother to request it just to keep a good face for the boss?

I'd really like to know how many ADs made an attempt to be proactive about staffing and infrastructure needed to accommodate the D1 NCAA environment but weren't allowed to. This really needs a spotlight with implicated presidents.

Psychological and Mental Health treatment as it relates to relationships. A number of athletes are involved in domestic abuse cases.

Here's another one

How many SWAC ADs requested and were declined budget increases that would have possibly saved nearly the entire conference from APR problems?

How many ADs didn't bother to request it just to keep a good face for the boss?

I'd really like to know how many ADs made an attempt to be proactive about staffing and infrastructure needed to accommodate the D1 NCAA environment but weren't allowed to. This really needs a spotlight with implicated presidents.
Our former AD (Lafleur) cut the compliance department on his own. SMH

Psychological and Mental Health treatment as it relates to relationships. A number of athletes are involved in domestic abuse cases.
Is this an HBCU problem? It's a problem true enough; however, it appears to be less of a problem at HBCUs. Perhaps someone can convince me otherwise.

Back