What about the Coordinators...

MikeBigg

I thought about putting this on the SportsBoard, but realized that it would have so much smack that I decided to place it here.

Anyway, I was thinking about the coordinators and wanted to get some opinions. I realize that some schools have new coordinators, so the opinions from most of yall will probably be as subjective as usual.

Based on last years numbers and recent history, I have to give the edge on the offensive side to Robert Shannon and Mark Orlando. JSU and SU have both ranked fairly high in several offensive categories. I am also impressed with Johnny Cole's Hobo Offense.

My vote for defensive coordinator goes to Michael Roach of Greatness. He has an aggressive scheme that led the Gmen to the SWAC title. Very good at making second half adjustments. Excellent game plan against FAMU and good second half adjustments against JSTANK and SUCKS.

John Shannon left JSU for Toy State. He was probably the best coach in the SWAC period. I disagree with some of his calls, but you cant dispute the results. He shoulda got the head job instead of Hughes.

JST

I disagree with you. Shannon had a good ideas, but he lacked what it took to get over the top. Time will tell, but I believe that JSU will be much better off without Shannon. With the boys we got, it only takes common damn sense.

The best defense coordinator last year was Alcorns defensive coordinator. He had nothing to work with, no offense to keep the ball, but I dont think they got blown out and was in every game. If they had any kind of offense they may have been a little more successful. Giving up those points to PV early hurt, but they didnt have the offense to come back.

Gramblings DC is good. But he didnt stop JSU in the second half, Shannon did. For some reason he wasted the last play of the second quarter and the third quarter trying to establish a running game. Kent was picking Gram apart to the tune of 280 yards in the first half. Again JST, good ideas, but sometimes he held us back. I could go on and on.

You cant argue with his stats....well....yes I can, but I wont.

I like the Cole Brothers of offense..... and close second goes to Robert Kaiss and Ronald Cooper. :rolleyes:

Wait, on last thing. Do you guys remember last year when Tigerpride was trying to tell 0-7 ( 0-3 at the time) that Kaiss was a buster that didnt know jack. Man they argued him down. A month into the season, he was the scapegoat for their poor offensive production.

Originally posted by J-State Tiger
John Shannon left JSU for Toy State. He was probably the best coach in the SWAC period. I disagree with some of his calls, but you cant dispute the results. He shoulda got the head job instead of Hughes.
hughes.gif

<i>........Why you hatin on me son??? I have paid my dues! and I got the stai errr uhhh stories to prove it</i>

OC - There is no question that the best was Johnny Cole and his HOBO Offense. No one in the SWAC could match him until he came against the best DCs. Eventhough they knew exactly what he was going to do, his offense could not be stopped by the lesser teams in the SWAC. At one point in the season, this offense was 2nd only to FSU! (Going into the MCC)

DC - This is a tie. It goes to the DCs who got their teams to the SCG: Roach of GSU and Roggerman and Towns of AAMU. These coaches produced 2 of the best defenses in 1AA.

I agree with that common sense GR. I dont think a single coach in the SWAC has any common sense. I think there are children that could coach most SWAC teams to 7 wins.

We'll see...

MikeBigg, one of the reasons we mentioned AAMU as often as we do on the board is that we are looked at as newcomers who must pay some unrealistic dues.

Any real fan of football know that AAMU has game. It is difficult to blow AAMU away and any team we go up against comes with their A Game. It doesn't matter if it is Miles or one of the big three, the opposing coaches know that they must have a great game to beat AAMU. We also know that our coach did some things that none of us agreed with during the course of the ballgame.

Our weak cornerback play took away from some of the great things our team did during the season. Having solved all the problems in the coaching ranks, we feel good about the upcoming season. We know that everybody will be improved this year and this should be an exciting year. The only problem I see for the SWAC team this year is the overall depth. I believe the intensive play among all teams will be vicious this season. We should see a lot of injuries.

Last year we didn't put the numbers up, but the defense stats are very good. I still don't understand why we didn't put double coverage on the best receivers in the SWAC last year.

With the new OC we will have an exciting year.

GR, the Kaiss issue, onside kick and throwback are all behind us. The blame game cannot be used this season. We are expecting some great things this year. Not only was TP right, but so were some well known coaches right.

Back