Well the annual meac rumors are cranking up again

Well the folks on that other board don't seem to be to impress, and after four pages not even one word of congratulations or welcome by anybody from the BigSo.

From 2012 ...

Hampton again seeking CAA affiliation?

Might the Colonial Athletic Association respond to the loss of a member located in Hampton Roads by considering another university from the same area?

Hampton University has belonged to the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference since 1995. HU president William R. Harvey in the past expressed interest in the CAA, which is losing state schools Virginia Commonwealth University (in July) and Old Dominion University (in 2013).

Harvey, HU's president since 1978, approached the CAA about membership when the Pirates elevated to Division I in the mid-1990s. The CAA opted not to invite HU then, or when the league expanded to include Towson, Delaware, Drexel and Hofstra for 2001-02.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/hamp...cle_ccd6387e-eeea-5f83-9d97-32b2fa9b12ad.html

Anybody care to address this? There was no Celebration Bowl in 2012, and the CAA was another basketball conference...

Winthrop was the 13 seed last year.

Do you realize what would have to happen for the MEAC or SWAC champion to get seeded higher than 16?
Still another 1 bid conference without a non-playin game win in the last decade. And TSU was a 15 seed just a couple years ago. Hampton itself has been a 15 seed. Their women have been a 12 seed. FROM THE MEAC.

Do you realize what would have to happen for the MEAC or SWAC champion to get seeded higher than 16?

The same thing that happen in 93 when we defeated GaTech.

Had we not defeated JSU in the tournament, they would have probably been an 11th/12th seed

Last edited:

Winthrop was a 13 seed last year. That is true. And what was the result when they played Butler in the first round?

Im hoping this allows more MEAC-SWAC games since the MEAC is down 2 teams. However, TBH, the SWAC needs to go back to 9 games.

Winthrop was a 13 seed last year. That is true. And what was the result when they played Butler in the first round?

A loss. But 13ths upset 4ths with much more frequency than 16ths upsetting 1sts.

All that aside, this is a better basketball move for them than anything else (football/etc). Maybe it pays off for them long term. Maybe not. We won't know for at least 3 to 5 years

The the question beg to be ask why didn't they simply have all their other sports join the Big South, keep football in the meac, save even more and still have the best of both worlds?

A chance at a bowl game and to participate in the playoffs.

Harvey said that each of his coaches favored the move to the Big South. “I was the holdout,” he said. “But we thought, and the coaches thought, that this would be a good thing for their programs.”

The coaches are gambling, or hoping, that Hampton’s affiliation with a predominantly white conference will help with the recruitment of talented athletes that HBCUs have been losing to predominantly white schools. The MEAC is ranked 32nd in conference power rankings. The Big South is 21st.

Because HBCUs have been seeded so low during the annual NCAA Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, there has been talk among some that HBCUs should have their own postseason tournaments. In football, the champion of the Southwestern Athletic Conference and the MEAC meet in the Celebration Bowl.

“That’s not my orientation,” Harvey said. “The fact of life is that there are some people who feel that white is right and if you’re black, get back. For me, I want to compete against the best, not just the best black schools. I want to compete against the best.”

MEAC commissioner Dennis Thomas, a former Hampton athletics director, expressed disappointment but said Hampton’s move was part and parcel of movement in the college sports industry.

“I don’t want to lose any members, but that’s just the landscape in Division I sports conferences and institutions,” Thomas said. “It’s not just at the Power 5 level, or the Autonomous 5 level. It permeates throughout Division I.

“Each institution has to make a decision about the direction they want to go; you can’t pass judgment,” he added. “Institutions make decisions based on what they think is best for them. I might disagree with it, but I have to respect the wishes of our institutions.”

CIAA commissioner Jacqie McWilliams, who is a Hampton graduate, said the move makes business sense and alums will have to adjust to a cultural shift.

“For me and maybe some other alumni, it’ll take some time to adjust on the cultural side,” she said. “For 150 years, we’ve affiliated with black colleges. Now we’re going to the Big South, which has an opportunity to diversify its conference, but it will be a different feel and look for us alumni and fans and how we integrate ourselves into the culture and environments of their championships.

https://theundefeated.com/features/hampton-hbcu-leaving-meac-for-big-south-conference/

The truth always wins. Our folks just seem to never learn. I knew something just didn't add because it simply didn't make any cents.

What do you feel about what he said in the entire article? I think that while those various computer rankings for Football and Basketball don't "lie," they don't tell the entire story of our teams. If he wanted to improve his teams status for the post-season, he could've funded his teams to win those OOC games against the Big South & CAA they've continuously lost, so they could have success in the tournaments and get higher seeds.

What do you feel about what he said in the entire article? I think that while those various computer rankings for Football and Basketball don't "lie," they don't tell the entire story of our teams. If he wanted to improve his teams status for the post-season, he could've funded his teams to win those OOC games against the Big South & CAA they've continuously lost, so they could have success in the tournaments and get higher seeds.

Grambling...... NCAT

Like somebody said. The 30 yr. experiment call Tennessee State obviously didn't teach them anything.

Well at least we can put to rest the false narrative about it being about cost savings.

Last edited:
Atlantic Sun conference members that have or will have football can be members of the Big South since the conferences made a pact and th A-Sun (Florida Gulf Coast’s conference) doesn’t currently sponsor football.

That's how Kennesaw got into the Big South for football. Campbell will be playing in the Big South next season. If Jacksonville and Stetson decides to give schollies, they will leave the Pioneer and join the Big South as well.

Last edited:
Amazing how they are in such a rush to dismantle their entire history, give away a guaranteed $1000000 to chase after other folks dreams.
It makes no sense to me that they would dismantle something that we've built with our hands. Absolute insanity to me if this happens! The MEAC needs to stay together

Back