'We’ve got to have football': OU and OSU home games are vital for many business in Norman and Stillwater

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
“We’ve got to have football,” said Dustin MacDonald, owner of Chris’ University Spirit in Stillwater. “You gotta pray and pray hard that we have college football because if we don’t, I don’t know what the economic outlook looks like for us and other businesses. Restaurants, hotels, we all depend on that.
“If that means wearing a mask, having hand-washing stations everywhere, we’ve got to have people again somehow, some way.”

While athletic departments across the country have been deeply affected by the pandemic, cutting costs and in some cases eliminating sports, businesses near college football stadiums felt the hurt and are bracing for further disruption if the season doesn’t play out as normal.

MacDonald estimated that 60% or so of his business for the year came during football season, as game days bring big traffic and fans also buy Christmas presents for family and friends.

“I’m kind of sitting on the edge of my seat every day watching news, waiting this thing out,” MacDonald said. “I don’t know how our business survives without football. … I think there’ll be a ton of businesses going out of business if there’s no college football.”

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Great leaders have enough sense to surround themselves with smart people. Trump failed to do that.
Well Trump fired the people that tried to tell him better. In his mind he knows more than the military yet he didn’t know is master Putin put bounties on the heads of troops. He said the medical community was over estimated COVID-19 and it was going to disappear when it gets warmer. well the US is now leading in cases as the death toll is up 130K. Trump says he’s a stable genius but his incompetence has put over 50 million out of work. Now since he is and epic failure he is using race bating tactics targeting his white base try to fuel them up for re-election.

Trump is just another delusional White boy who is rich, which is quite dangerous for others. Due to his lack of knowledge, especially when it comes to the sciences, he can't make critical ANALYTICAL decisions. Trump thinks the best way to make critical ANALYTICAL decisions is to pay others to make them for him. This is the danger of electing rich idiots. They are complete failures when it comes to making major critical decisions that involves the health, safety, and welfare of the masses. Basically, he honestly believes that throwing money at a situation solves all problems, which it does not. The Republican Party has basically been taken over by rich White idiots, which is why the Lincoln Project is working hard to reverse that. And due to their lack of intelligence, the few Black folks that follow these idiots are only there to get paid, which is why they see nothing wrong with lying about their intelligence, such as the FAKE Pastor Mark Burns.

false. Any leader with half a brain wouldve jumped on this thing early and implemented a plan to address it. There's a reason why the EU will be almost back to normal this fall. The virus isn't trump's fault; the response is.

And Hillary is just as crooked as Trump is but damn even I believe she would have squashed this before it even became a problem not convince your red states that this was not a problem and have them close too late and open too soon.

Now this stuff is peaking two months before the start of the season and they refuse to not only shut down but even meet to discuss handling it (Senate wont meet until next week). People are still waiting on their 1st stimulus check but somehow they expect people without a job to get by

Pertaining to our HBCUs, I think most presidents would prefer to do online classes this fall but many are forced to admit students back in due to finances which is why I have said there will be a season even though we shouldn't. They have to do the best they can with a terrible situation

And Hillary is just as crooked as Trump is but damn even I believe she would have squashed this before it even became a problem not convince your red states that this was not a problem and have them close too late and open too soon.

Now this stuff is peaking two months before the start of the season and they refuse to not only shut down but even meet to discuss handling it (Senate wont meet until next week). People are still waiting on their 1st stimulus check but somehow they expect people without a job to get by

Pertaining to our HBCUs, I think most presidents would prefer to do online classes this fall but many are forced to admit students back in due to finances which is why I have said there will be a season even though we shouldn't. They have to do the best they can with a terrible situation

I wouldn't go as far as to say she's "just as crooked" as tRump. She may be be flawed but tRump takes crooked to a whole different level. tRump reminds me of the used car salesman on that movie True Lies that was trying to bang Arnold's wife.

College football at these schools are Mandingo fights. They could care less if they die running and jumping for the whites in the stands. Hell some of these schools such as SMU, Alabama and Texas A&M are making these folks sign documents releasing the school from any liability if they catch COVID. That’s speak volumes how they care about their “property” I mean athletes

Last edited by a moderator:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
We have to start freeing our minds. I'm so sick of us depending on the Democrats and Christianity. Man, Coronavirus have exposed black people to the fullest. Look, we just need to sit our azz down, and focus on ourselves.

Clear people don't give a shit about us until we are benefiting them.

I wouldn't go as far as to say she's "just as crooked" as tRump. She may be be flawed but tRump takes crooked to a whole different level. tRump reminds me of the used car salesman on that movie True Lies that was trying to bang Arnold's wife.

Hillary Clinton remind me so much of Ghislaine Maxwell.

Hillary Clinton remind me so much of Ghislaine Maxwell.

Let me debunk that really quick......

1. Maxwell was born into an extremely wealthy French/European household. Hillary was born middle class and wasn't a trust fund baby.
2. Maxwell was a socialite who did nothing but party and help people hide money that more than likely was stolen (laundering). Hillary was a nerd who studied and was a square.
3. Maxwell was basically passed around like a slut and facilitated young girls being raped. Hillary was cheated on due to er possibly being extremely boring in bed.
4. Maxwell is currently in custody facing charges. Hillary is sitting at home after many bogus attempts by folks to throw spaghetti against the wall hoping it would stick.

Needless to say you comparing Hillary to Maxwell is like comparing Susan Collins to Lorena Bobbitt.

Let me debunk that really quick......

1. Maxwell was born into an extremely wealthy French/European household. Hillary was born middle class and wasn't a trust fund baby.
2. Maxwell was a socialite who did nothing but party and help people hide money that more than likely was stolen (laundering). Hillary was a nerd who studied and was a square.
3. Maxwell was basically passed around like a slut and facilitated young girls being raped. Hillary was cheated on due to er possibly being extremely boring in bed.
4. Maxwell is currently in custody facing charges. Hillary is sitting at home after many bogus attempts by folks to throw spaghetti against the wall hoping it would stick.

Needless to say you comparing Hillary to Maxwell is like comparing Susan Collins to Lorena Bobbitt.

Well, that was just too easy.

The consequences of canceling a sports season, particularly a football season (which is a revenue driver) have a tremendous financial impact on the university, the athletic department, and the community. It's easy to say just cancel it all (and rightfully so) without also understanding that there will be casualties on the other end, too. Businesses that rely on football season crowds are going to suffer. Restaurants, bars, hotels, shops are going to take a major hit. That means outright closures, furloughs, and layoffs.

The economic impact that college sports have on some communities can't be understated.

From a university perspective, athletic department employees are going to either be furloughed or laid off. Then you gotta look at how broadcasters, arena and stadium staff, food service people, and referees won't get paid if there is no season.

And schools have already cut some sports, which means a bunch of coaches are out of work right now.

Reasonable people don't want the worst-case scenarios to play out by trying to hold games in the middle of a pandemic. But so many people also rely on these games being played, too.

That's a hell of a quandary we're in because our government has neglected providing social safety nets so we won't have to weigh these risks in times like this.

Harvard just announced that they are going online only for the fall which likely means either no football or postponed until Spring.

The consequences of canceling a sports season, particularly a football season (which is a revenue driver) have a tremendous financial impact on the university, the athletic department, and the community. It's easy to say just cancel it all (and rightfully so) without also understanding that there will be casualties on the other end, too. Businesses that rely on football season crowds are going to suffer. Restaurants, bars, hotels, shops are going to take a major hit. That means outright closures, furloughs, and layoffs.

The economic impact that college sports have on some communities can't be understated.

From a university perspective, athletic department employees are going to either be furloughed or laid off. Then you gotta look at how broadcasters, arena and stadium staff, food service people, and referees won't get paid if there is no season.

And schools have already cut some sports, which means a bunch of coaches are out of work right now.

Reasonable people don't want the worst-case scenarios to play out by trying to hold games in the middle of a pandemic. But so many people also rely on these games being played, too.

That's a hell of a quandary we're in because our government has neglected providing social safety nets so we won't have to weigh these risks in times like this.

Perfectly explained

There are real life consequences if you just cancel the season (which would be the right thing to do)

It's easy for Harvard to not have classes or fall sports

It's another thing if our schools to cancel fall sports which means no revenue (football or OOC basketball (money) games) and all of our schools are gonna have to make some tough decisions. All of our schools are in red states which means that they aren't gonna provide some type of relief for said lost revenue so it puts our administrators in a bad spot (and I sure as hell ain't depending on our alumni bases to make up for it). Damned if you do damned if you don't

Back