'We’ve got to have football': OU and OSU home games are vital for many business in Norman and Stillwater

If Harvard isn't playing fall sports then neither is the rest of the Ivy. Which means either, any games scheduled against them for the fall will be cancelled or... they know that others will be playing in the spring. If the Ivy goes to Spring, so will the Patriot League almost guaranteed. If there's this much doubt now with the current numbers, what happens when the results start showing from this past weekend in a few weeks? It's only going to get worse. And now you have reports of college players actually exposing themselves to the virus to have it out of them by the time football starts. I legit believe thats the real reason you see teams like LSU and Clemson with so many exposures even though no one would ever admit it.

Football season to these businesses is like the Christmas shopping season to many others. It could get really ugly for them. Then again athletes are already testing positive.

I had some problems with Clinton, but this administration has been a complete train wreck. It is a good example of people running government who do not believe in government.

It’s already gotten ugly for some businesses in Tallahassee. We’ve lost a few night spots and bars for good due to the pandemic. In a college town, these places rely on those football crowds big time.

And now you have reports of college players actually exposing themselves to the virus to have it out of them by the time football starts. I legit believe thats the real reason you see teams like LSU and Clemson with so many exposures even though no one would ever admit it.

Another reason why I said there will be a season. Its football or bust to many of these people (and that includes our schools)

They are gonna put money before everything especially if you are a Trump boy like Dabo

Another reason why I said there will be a season. Its football or bust to many of these people (and that includes our schools)

They are gonna put money before everything especially if you are a Trump boy like Dabo

Little do they know (if that's what they're actually doing) immunity to the virus only lasts a few weeks or even a few months. It's negligence that Clemson hasn't shut down the program. But 45 outchea telling the world we just gotta live with the virus. It's not surprising that some of these schools are approaching it this way.

My tone hasn't changed

I agree that if there isn't a major drop in this stuff, the season needs to be cancelled but the powers that be at the FBS levels won't cancel the season unless they are forced to

GREAT POINTS ALL AROUND YALL!

its the ameriKKKan way: risk lives all for the mighty dollar. this business [AND IT IS A BUSINESS] doesn't give 2 fried chits about these kids losing their lives. IF its risky enough that schools are going to an online-semester, what makes people think they can operate sports with little-to-no-risks?

Let me debunk that really quick......

1. Maxwell was born into an extremely wealthy French/European household. Hillary was born middle class and wasn't a trust fund baby.
2. Maxwell was a socialite who did nothing but party and help people hide money that more than likely was stolen (laundering). Hillary was a nerd who studied and was a square.
3. Maxwell was basically passed around like a slut and facilitated young girls being raped. Hillary was cheated on due to er possibly being extremely boring in bed.
4. Maxwell is currently in custody facing charges. Hillary is sitting at home after many bogus attempts by folks to throw spaghetti against the wall hoping it would stick.

Needless to say you comparing Hillary to Maxwell is like comparing Susan Collins to Lorena Bobbitt.

But, didn't her husband spend a lot of time around Epstein? So, I'm willing bet that she probably know Hillary. Man, she is no different than the rest of the white Democrats that "shuck and jive" with black people for a vote.

GREAT POINTS ALL AROUND YALL!

its the ameriKKKan way: risk lives all for the mighty dollar. this business [AND IT IS A BUSINESS] doesn't give 2 fried chits about these kids losing their lives. IF its risky enough that schools are going to an online-semester, what makes people think they can operate sports with little-to-no-risks?

All clear people care about is money. They are ruthless, and don't care who they harm to get it done.

But, didn't her husband spend a lot of time around Epstein? So, I'm willing bet that she probably know Hillary. Man, she is no different than the rest of the white Democrats that "shuck and jive" with black people for a vote.

Her husband spent a lot of time around Monica Lewinski too so what’s your point? White Republicans shock and jive for their voting base as well so typically that’s how this thing called campaigning works. 😒😒

Football season to these businesses is like the Christmas shopping season to many others. It could get really ugly for them. Then again athletes are already testing positive.

I had some problems with Clinton, but this administration has been a complete train wreck. It is a good example of people running government who do not believe in government.

While this administration has people who do not believe in government, I should have said that Trump is a different animal. Look at videos with David Cay Johnston talking about Trump.

The consequences of canceling a sports season, particularly a football season (which is a revenue driver) have a tremendous financial impact on the university, the athletic department, and the community. It's easy to say just cancel it all (and rightfully so) without also understanding that there will be casualties on the other end, too. Businesses that rely on football season crowds are going to suffer. Restaurants, bars, hotels, shops are going to take a major hit. That means outright closures, furloughs, and layoffs.

The economic impact that college sports have on some communities can't be understated.

From a university perspective, athletic department employees are going to either be furloughed or laid off. Then you gotta look at how broadcasters, arena and stadium staff, food service people, and referees won't get paid if there is no season.

And schools have already cut some sports, which means a bunch of coaches are out of work right now.

Reasonable people don't want the worst-case scenarios to play out by trying to hold games in the middle of a pandemic. But so many people also rely on these games being played, too.

That's a hell of a quandary we're in because our government has neglected providing social safety nets so we won't have to weigh these risks in times like this.
One question.........What did people/colleges/universities do before athletics was big business? Asking for myself.

The consequences of canceling a sports season, particularly a football season (which is a revenue driver) have a tremendous financial impact on the university, the athletic department, and the community. It's easy to say just cancel it all (and rightfully so) without also understanding that there will be casualties on the other end, too. Businesses that rely on football season crowds are going to suffer. Restaurants, bars, hotels, shops are going to take a major hit. That means outright closures, furloughs, and layoffs.

The economic impact that college sports have on some communities can't be understated.

From a university perspective, athletic department employees are going to either be furloughed or laid off. Then you gotta look at how broadcasters, arena and stadium staff, food service people, and referees won't get paid if there is no season.

And schools have already cut some sports, which means a bunch of coaches are out of work right now.

Reasonable people don't want the worst-case scenarios to play out by trying to hold games in the middle of a pandemic. But so many people also rely on these games being played, too.

That's a hell of a quandary we're in because our government has neglected providing social safety nets so we won't have to weigh these risks in times like this.

I understand but you cannot replace a lost life due to these games. However, economies have been proven to bounce back. Even if they did the games they were going to cut staff so not everyone will be able to benefit anyway which creates a dog eat dog mentality

Lets keep it real. Besides the health issue, a massive covid outbreak on an HBCU campus or within a program would be a PR nightmare with long term financial ramifications that none of our schools can afford. The stigma is not something that will easily go away like PWIs. You already see how many of "us" still perpetuate the lie that -insert HBCU here- is the "HIV Capital".

IF its risky enough that schools are going to an online-semester, what makes people think they can operate sports with little-to-no-risks?

Mississippi has been politicized education so I am not even shocked that this issue of whether there should be in-person classes in August for children and college students (as well as wearing a mask)

I've said that there should be no classes or sports in the fall but also have said that these people have shown that they will go out of their way to make sure that stuff goes as normal which is why (for now) there still will be a season deaths be damned

I understand but you cannot replace a lost life due to these games. However, economies have been proven to bounce back. Even if they did the games they were going to cut staff so not everyone will be able to benefit anyway which creates a dog eat dog mentality
It's a delicate balance, for sure that everyone has to navigate the best they can. There are going to be consequences regardless. It just sucks all the way around.

Back