Water Cooler Discussion Topic (Also Posted On MEAC Board)

Maybe this has been kicked around the board before or maybe it has not but I was listening to a local sports radio show today and they were discussing an interesting topic. As you know with the hiring of Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame, much has been made of the amount (or lack thereof) of African-American head coaches in Division 1-A College Football. Of the 117 schools that play Division 1-A football only 4 (3%) are african-american (Willingham, Bobby Williams-Michigan State, Fitz Hill-San Jose State, and Tony Samuel-New Mexico State). Another startling factoid listed on the show was that since 1992 there have been over 150 job openings at D 1-A schools and those openings have been filled by african-americans only 12 times. What are your opinions on this topic as to why there are not many black coaches in the 1-A ranks?

WHO CARES.... THIS BOARD IS FOR ANY SPORT TOPIC BUT THE TRUTH BE KNOWN MOST OF THOSE GUYS WOULDN'T EVER LOOK THE WAY OF HBCU.
PROBABLY LESS THEN THE 3% YOUR TALKING ABOUT
GREAT FOR THE BRO. BUT THIS D1AA COUNTRY AS FOR AS IM CONCERN

I think it's an open and shut case. The reasons for the non-hiring of African-Americans as head coaches at 1-A programs is obvious. When Gene Stallings left Alabama, he told the AD and the administration that there were TWO qualified candidates from his staff that were head coaching material. We know who got the job, but Woody McCorvey was the other that Stallings was referring to. Does anyone REEEEEEAAAALY believe that McCorvey had a chance? I'll bet some of those Crimson Tide fans wished they had hired McCorvey rather than Dubose. :smh:

Originally posted by bluedog
WHO CARES.... THIS BOARD IS FOR ANY SPORT TOPIC BUT THE TRUTH BE KNOWN MOST OF THOSE GUYS WOULDN'T EVER LOOK THE WAY OF HBCU.
PROBABLY LESS THEN THE 3% YOUR TALKING ABOUT
GREAT FOR THE BRO. BUT THIS D1AA COUNTRY AS FOR AS IM CONCERN

Yes as far as you are concern, but others would like to talk about it.

It has alot to do with what AAMU Alum stated the alumni and fans of D1 school would crap bricks if they had a black head coach. But my issue is that these same people will recuit black player to play for there schools but a black coach is out the question. I mean look at the crap that happen at Notre Dame before they got Willingham. Everyone knew that he was the best choice for the job but you see how he had to get the job.

JSU TOI...

Yes as far as you are concern, but others would like to talk about it.
<font size=9>duh...i thought thats what i said</font>

Part of it is racial, but also part of it is teams already have a short list of names before the person even leaves. Part of it is the overall disrespect for HBCU football and programs as a whole.

Back