Wait, did your tax preparer just take a cut of your refund? Here's how to stay safe

Olde Hornet

Ernest Sumpter, 68, tells a tax-time tale that should give anyone pause before handing over a Social Security number and other information to a stranger who offers a deal on doing your taxes.

Sumpter lives in a seniors apartment complex in Detroit not far from Wayne State University where a woman essentially went door-to-door offering to prepare tax returns.

"She was charging the seniors $50 to do their taxes," Sumpter said.

The woman, who was in her 40s, dressed well, drove a nice car and looked professional. She had built up a friendship with another tenant in the building, a relationship that ultimately opened doors for her.

"She got close to one of the seniors so she could vouch for her," said Sumpter, who retired after working at a local manufacturing plant that made auto parts.

Since the woman seemed genuine and other people liked her, Sumpter paid $50 for filing his 2017 state income tax return to get a state refund based on the Home Heating Credit and the Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit.

The best way to stay safe is to do your own taxes. Tax prep is one of the biggest hustles going. Praying on the elderly is wrong. But you also have young folks (who are only claiming the standard deduction) paying people to do their taxes. That's crazy.

I do taxes and I see people every who have done their own and screwed themselves up.

One thing I do is show them all the fees.

Honesty is the key.

Back