Virgina-Lynchburg vs Southern Game Updates: 4:00pm CT

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
To listen to the Southern Broadcast: click here
To see Live Stats: click here

Game Time: 4:00pm CT
TV/Stream:

Note to posters: Its OK to show support for your team, but please leave out the smack!

The smack policy will be HEAVILY enforced. Ignoring it WILL result in an immediate ban from the sports board WITHOUT notice.

VUL should shutdown its program.

Why? The Dragons has Valley in life support! Lol.

Real talk, VUL needs to give up if they are going to schedule this many major HBCU programs. They should only schedule a few traditional SWAC/MEAC doormats like Morgan State & Valley, maybe 2 FCS feathers like VMI, and then see what other scrubs in the non division I world they can pick a dish washing match against.

Why? The Dragons has Valley in life support! Lol.

Real talk, VUL needs to give up if they are going to schedule this many major HBCU programs. They should only schedule a few traditional SWAC/MEAC doormats like Morgan State & Valley, maybe 2 FCS feathers like VMI, and then see what other scrubs in the non division I world they can pick a dish washing match against.

The school only has an enrollment of 300. Probably 1/3 of the school's enrollment are football players. I think football is the only sport at the school. It's completely embarrassing to see it in the same town with Liberty University. Even the University of Lynchburg (formerly Lynchburg College) is a thousand times better off than VUL. It's one of those schools where they have to beg for everything. Until it can get financially and academically stable, it has no business having a football team. Same goes for Talladega and its band program. Black Christian colleges like the two I mentioned are a prime example on how Black folks priorities are so screwed up. VUL is a reflection of Black folks in Lynchburg, VA, which is outdated, disconnected from the rest of the world, and hopelessness. A lot of that is by design. The HNIC's in that town are Black folks who were and are employed by the Lynchburg School System. Their main purpose in that town is to make sure Black students in that town do not interfere with the advance studies of White students. Basically, suppress Black students in challenging themselves when it comes to education. And since they are the HNIC's in that town, there are quite a few older Black men (sugar daddies) that are married to much younger Black females (20 to 30 years younger). It's almost like a scene out of 'Color Purple', whereas the only hope most of those young girls have is to get with one of those older Black men in the School System. For a town of its size, it is like stepping into a time warp. I think Lynchburg, VA is the largest city in the country without an interstate highway. The nearest one (I-81) is in Roanoke, VA, which is approximately 50 to 60 miles to the west of Lynchburg.

Last edited:
The school only has an enrollment of 300. Probably 1/3 of the school's enrollment are football players. I think football is the only sport at the school. It's completely embarrassing to see it in the same town with Liberty University. Even the University of Lynchburg (formerly Lynchburg College) is a thousand times better off than VUL. It's one of those schools where they have to beg for everything. Until it can get financially and academically stable, it has no business having a football team. Same goes for Talladega and its band program. Black Christian colleges like the two I mentioned are a prime example on how Black folks priorities are so screwed up. VUL is a reflection of Black folks in Lynchburg, VA, which is outdated, disconnected from the rest of the world, and hopelessness. A lot of that is by design. The HNIC's in that town are Black folks who were and are employed by the Lynchburg School System. Their main purpose in that town is to make sure Black students in that town do not interfere with the advance studies of White students. Basically, suppress Black students in challenging themselves when it comes to education. And since they are the HNIC's in that town, there are quite a few older Black men (sugar daddies) that are married to much younger Black females (20 to 30 years younger). It almost like a scene out of 'Color Purple'. Whereas the only hope most of those young girls have is to get with one of those older Black men in the School System. For a town of its size, it is like stepping into a time warp. I think Lynchburg, VA is largest city in the country without an interstate highway. The nearest one (I-81) is in Roanoke, VA, which is approximately 50 to 60 miles to the west of Lynchburg.
Can’t debate that!

The school only has an enrollment of 300. Probably 1/3 of the school's enrollment are football players. I think football is the only sport at the school. It's completely embarrassing to see it in the same town with Liberty University. Even the University of Lynchburg (formerly Lynchburg College) is a thousand times better off than VUL. It's one of those schools where they have to beg for everything. Until it can get financially and academically stable, it has no business having a football team. Same goes for Talladega and its band program. Black Christian colleges like the two I mentioned are a prime example on how Black folks priorities are so screwed up. VUL is a reflection of Black folks in Lynchburg, VA, which is outdated, disconnected from the rest of the world, and hopelessness. A lot of that is by design. The HNIC's in that town are Black folks who were and are employed by the Lynchburg School System. Their main purpose in that town is to make sure Black students in that town do not interfere with the advance studies of White students. Basically, suppress Black students in challenging themselves when it comes to education. And since they are the HNIC's in that town, there are quite a few older Black men (sugar daddies) that are married to much younger Black females (20 to 30 years younger). It's almost like a scene out of 'Color Purple', whereas the only hope most of those young girls have is to get with one of those older Black men in the School System. For a town of its size, it is like stepping into a time warp. I think Lynchburg, VA is the largest city in the country without an interstate highway. The nearest one (I-81) is in Roanoke, VA, which is approximately 50 to 60 miles to the west of Lynchburg.
I don't have a problem at all with the band situation at Talladega. I don't profess to know about their situation financially, but I actually give Talladega props for developing a band program that appears to be attracting students to the school.

But that isn't the case with VUL. There is NO WAY in hell a school with an enrollment somewhere in the ballpark of 250-300 students should be competing with Division 1 (FCS) programs. And the SWAC and MEAC have no business scheduling them either.

I know this is not the band forum, but from my understanding TC does not offer scholarships for band, yet programs like MVSU, TXSU do. Why don't we have students flocking to their programs

I know this is not the band forum, but from my understanding TC does not offer scholarships for band, yet programs like MVSU, TXSU do. Why don't we have students flocking to their programs
Cause TC sounds like our school. The best!! Also the re definition of sound.

Probably because the students at TC don't have to meet any type of admission requirements, whereas they do at MVSU and TxSU. Basically, there are some individuals who are just there for band, which goes against the primary purpose of colleges and universities. Also, I wonder exactly how many band members at TC are enrolled in school. Before the hazing death of one of their drum majors, FAMU used to do something similar in order to have a band with 400-plus individuals. FAMU used to allowed individuals who weren't enrolled at FAMU to march in the band.

Last edited:

I don't have a problem at all with the band situation at Talladega. I don't profess to know about their situation financially, but I actually give Talladega props for developing a band program that appears to be attracting students to the school.

But that isn't the case with VUL. There is NO WAY in hell a school with an enrollment somewhere in the ballpark of 250-300 students should be competing with Division 1 (FCS) programs. And the SWAC and MEAC have no business scheduling them either.

Are they really ACADEMIC students or just BAND students???

Like I said previously, I have no idea what the overall financial situation at Talladega is like, but I think it's safe to say that it's NOTHING compared to VUL.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm all for academics first. A lot of our HBCUs put their band programs over everything else, including football, which is behind hole backwards. And TC doesn't have a football program.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm all for academics first. A lot of our HBCUs put their band programs over everything else, including football, which is behind hole backwards. And TC doesn't have a football program.
I feel you. I'd like to think that most of us are academics first. But I don't necessarily put bands in the same category as football. Those kids in TC's band are no different than the kids in any school's gospel choir. Periodically, they are invited to perform at various events. They practice. They learn music. Learn formations and so forth. And unlike the kids at VUL the kids in TC's band aren't sacrificing their bodies in a violent sport.

The kids in the band get to travel. They get the chance to visit new places they otherwise wouldn't be able to see on their own. That in itself is a learning experience.

Back