Valley searched for and found a band director (Melton Harvey)

Just by Alcorn showing effort to make a tribute video, that means he is a solid hire

Just go back to my original post. All I want was no one attached to the band right now and I got my wish. Others are big upping the hire so I'm satisfied. As long as he doesn't severely alter Devil's Gun like that other guy did lol

What a Magnificent Choice because he comes from a very good breed!
If he does nothing else; the drills are going to be “Awesome”.
However; he has more under his sleeve than drilling. The Mean Green Marching Machine is going to be
“Clean, Lean and Pristine” Congratulations 🎶

Remember seeing Valley in the early 80's. They did the "corps style" thang with perfection. Loved seeing them march backwards and on their toes. They stretched from one endzone to another at halftime. The sound? OMG, awesome! View attachment 14998

No wonder I don't remember much about Valley's band. I definitely remember when I first saw SU's band lol. Got a kick out of Gram's band doing all that running around too.

My Junior High School Band Director was a Graduate of MVSU. Believe or not; we had the best Junior High School Band in the South. We were also better than our area High School Band. 160 Instruments plus 20 Flags and 8 Rifles.
Those were the days. No Marching Band could out perform us. “ Up 123456 Up 8. Corp style at it’s best.
Our sound was a Monster with no over blowing or hanging over. “ ppp- mp-mf-ff-fff”.
“ In order to be the best, you must practice like you are the best” almost forgot; 15 Majorettes and 4 Twirlers was part of our program as well. Congrats again.....

Wiz Kid- Essence; this song is Groovy Wicked!!!!
You can do a lot with it by adding your own ingredients;
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, Paprika, Onion Powder.
It will sound so Incredible.

Just by Alcorn showing effort to make a tribute video, that means he is a solid hire

Just go back to my original post. All I want was no one attached to the band right now and I got my wish. Others are big upping the hire so I'm satisfied. As long as he doesn't severely alter Devil's Gun like that other guy did lol
Great hire, Valley. Mr. Harvey is going to recruit and grow the program. A smart guy and a good arranger. The drilling is also going on to be point.

I'm going to assume Harvey is a young guy? That's what we need - some young blood, and some new ideas and energy.

I'm happy for Valley and for the band students. Hopefully he'll have the support from the Administration and will be given the budget and resources to make changes and improvements and will move the music program forward......

....... as long as they don't mess with Devil's Gun, I'm good...

Work on musicianship more. Lip slurs, dexterity and tone need to be priority one in establishing a sound NOT establishing "a fresh style".

The drum entrance, I couldn't really tell what was going on.

Can't expect much from 1st game and they're small, new director, etc.

That big "V" with Devil's gun...THAT needs to be the band entrance and a big highlight thing in my opinion. It's okay for a first start but that big V grabbed my attention. From the back the Devillettes looked pretty good.

Don't be anyone else but you, especially in sound and make that musicianship number one priority. Play challenging things in what you play. Do that and you'll attract students who can and will buy in to Valley. That's the only thing really plaguing Valley...other than of course money as an hbcu, buying in to Valley. You can make believers out of people...

Oh hell to the no. I’m sorry but this band should be much bigger than this when you’re the only 4 yr HBCU in the Mississippi Delta. What is the problem when it comes to band recruitment?
23A69890-53E9-47F1-B035-C119E2B1403B.jpeg

Wiz Kid- Essence; this song is Groovy Wicked!!!!
You can do a lot with it by adding your own ingredients;
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, Paprika, Onion Powder.
It will sound so Incredible.
2022-2023 Edition “WoW”
Incredible Performances
The Season has just begun. Lets go get it again!!!!!!!!
Bama going to be hating with a SMILE.
War Time 4 Real.
“LGIO” will rock the house, etc......

2022-2023 Edition “WoW”
Incredible Performances
The Season has just begun. Lets go get it again!!!!!!!!
Bama going to be hating with a SMILE.
War Time 4 Real.
“LGIO” will rock the house, etc......

Man ain’t no body worried bout “The Boom” 🤣

We know going against the MMH is JSU’s super bowl. Y’all gonna be in practice till 1am trying to get ready for my MMH!

Oh hell to the no. I’m sorry but this band should be much bigger than this when you’re the only 4 yr HBCU in the Mississippi Delta. What is the problem when it comes to band recruitment?
View attachment 16016

Money.

When your admin wants to save money, they decided to slash the band and athletic budget and it has shown the past 3-4 years. Hakim is straightening out the athletic department and Melton will help out the band. I put zero stock in the size of the band this year. The next 1-2 years will be when he gets judged on size. Year one is about tightening up the sound.

I'm not a band head and don't pretend to be so I let the band people on here give their honest feedback and keep a note of it

Man ain’t no body worried bout “The Boom” 🤣

We know going against the MMH is JSU’s super bowl. Y’all gonna be in practice till 1am trying to get ready for my MMH!
Don’t Understand; why would one be worried in the first place? We love your fans as much as they “Luv Da Boom”
It’s going to be Exuberant.

Back