Valley searched for and found a band director (Melton Harvey)

Find another qualified alum.
So...I thought Bonds had taken the job at Clark?

Valley, as a program, just needs to really (1) establish a marching style from a merger of what they had in the 80s and the 90s, (2) focus their sound in a more unique way. You don't NEED to focus on not being overpowered. Go for skill, balance and playing challenging music, (3) determine an instrumentation and a set size. Fill spaces after the set size is determined. Don't deviate. A good 5 or 7 company fronts as the goal and set it and keep it. (4) go to your roots. The Delta has produced some of the greatest funk, blues, jazz and gospel. Play it all but always incorporate it into what you play. And then...play EVERYWHERE you can. I hope for the best for your program because your region NEEDS your hbcu to thrive. Could be a goldmine for whoever gets the job and buys into VALLEY.

Good luck Valley on your future band direction yall my 2nd favorite SWAC band. Can't wait to have you all back in Crews getting crunk. But try not to play during the invocation 🙏🤣

Valley is my new favorite band. The MMW though they were going to have a quiet day, Valley said fuq that we going to make you open your book. They played when we scored they played when they scored, hell they played during half of the invocation 🤣

PQUE the THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE IS Coming.....lol..............Let's GO Valleyyyyyyyyyy! TIME for a change........

The '78 Mack of the SWAC had five cymbal players... and they all had different diameter Z's....

One of them was an older cousin of mine...

I thought that was fabulous back then (when I was 8 years old)...... 😁

Find another qualified alum.
So...I thought Bonds had taken the job at Clark?

Valley, as a program, just needs to really (1) establish a marching style from a merger of what they had in the 80s and the 90s, (2) focus their sound in a more unique way. You don't NEED to focus on not being overpowered. Go for skill, balance and playing challenging music, (3) determine an instrumentation and a set size. Fill spaces after the set size is determined. Don't deviate. A good 5 or 7 company fronts as the goal and set it and keep it. (4) go to your roots. The Delta has produced some of the greatest funk, blues, jazz and gospel. Play it all but always incorporate it into what you play. And then...play EVERYWHERE you can. I hope for the best for your program because your region NEEDS your hbcu to thrive. Could be a goldmine for whoever gets the job and buys into VALLEY.

Man nobody trying to see some corps style stuff at HBCU games. Don’t overthink this & hire Bonds so he can build that program. He built the band at Dega from nothing to where they are now, and the only time folks talk about Delaware State’s band is from when he had them as the best small band in the nation a while back.

Remember seeing Valley in the early 80's. They did the "corps style" thang with perfection. Loved seeing them march backwards and on their toes. They stretched from one endzone to another at halftime. The sound? OMG, awesome! View attachment 14998
A style different from anything else in the SWAC. They were GOOD! I loved the way they marked time and stepped off.

View: https://youtu.be/wvWOM67fwtM

This is what excites y’all? Lmaoo

With the style and excitement JSU, SU, Alcorn, Cookman, NCAT & Norfolk brings, y’all really think going back to corps style will bring the numbers back up huh lol

You can be different and still be a traditional style band…(NCAT & Norfolk). Yea they high step but they incorporate drum corp style things and they are amazing. Walking on the field isn’t marching and it’s boring as hell

Man nobody trying to see some corps style stuff at HBCU games. Don’t overthink this & hire Bonds so he can build that program. He built the band at Dega from nothing to where they are now, and the only time folks talk about Delaware State’s band is from when he had them as the best small band in the nation a while back.
I didn't say anything about "corps". Did you not see Valley from 97-2005?

I just want stability for valley … they’ve gone through more directors and style changes than anybody. They need to identify a foundation and build off of it for future directors to add on to it.

Nevertheless; always remember, every great "Band Director" must have a "Awesome Arranger" however, there are some exceptions that we have see in the past.

I don’t want to be bias in my response but they still exists in the land of the living.
You may be able to find them in the “Midnight Hour” continuing to compose some incredible
music!!!!

That would be a Meritorious choice because I hear that he is very Credible and will build Valley's Program up to Stats again.

Back