Valley baseball coach relieved of duties

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
I know we didn't win a game this year but I didn't realize we went winless in the COVID shortened season last year as well. I think I got on board with most after last year though as far as being a facade because of Shanks

Think I may make a financial contribution to Valley. I’m tired of seeing them underperforming in every sport. They are an important institution in the blackest part of the country. They need all the help they can get

Ther first 2 graduated from Valley so at least they would know the culture. What we need is a Dancy like recruiter who can work with a shoestring budget that can coach instead of bunting with 1 out and 2 on base.

I am in favor of going the young route.

The Mississippi Valley State baseball program has finished at the bottom of the SWAC conference for several years now but that’s not entirely recently fired coach Stevens’ fault. The athletic department only pays $40,000 a year to the head coach, $22,000 for one assistant coach and six scholarships. Very little in a recruiting budget while their competition has increased dramatically in those areas.

This is why stuff is bad..

The Mississippi Valley State baseball program has finished at the bottom of the SWAC conference for several years now but that’s not entirely recently fired coach Stevens’ fault. The athletic department only pays $40,000 a year to the head coach, $22,000 for one assistant coach and six scholarships. Very little in a recruiting budget while their competition has increased dramatically in those areas.

This is why stuff is bad..

Before 2005, TSU paid Coach Candy less than 10k, assistant coach less than 30k with a total of 3 scholarships. I believe TSU is fully funded now and I understand this challenge, especially considering more universities increased in those areas as you mentioned. It sucks.

The only known update is that one of the former Valley assistants (Espade) pulled his name out of the hat due to being committed to their current job leaving the two alums plus one other person I saw that might be interested from a P5 school

I read the article and was honestly surprised we offered 6 scholarships smh.

Last edited:
Back