Using the OVC model to build the SWAC Digital Network back up

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
I will continue to die on that hill saying that we should have a SDN on par if not better than what the OVC has. All of their games are on ESPN+ games (some being on ESPN3 also). We have the added benefit of the bands so that could also be a revenue generator

I admit that I was reluctant about ESPN+ at first but many student athletes and their families don't care if it is a streaming network. It's still ESPN to them and you can watch it on TV just like an OTA broadcast

It should be a tiered system as far as games are concerned

Tier 1: Every team should have at least 1 OTA TV game (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU). For the sake of argument, I'll include ESPN3 on this due to availibiity. Dr. McClelland appears to be more focused on getting our teams on regular TV. Plus getting Tiffany and Jay to cover your game kind of makes this a big deal.

Tier 2: ESPN+. Most schools that have streaming capabilties usually use their own broadcast teams can use them for ESPN+ or use it as a breeding ground for up and coming announcers

Tier 3: SWAC Digital Network. There should be at least one "SDN Game of the week" that is not picked up by any of the previous ESPN entities. We know that this tier (as well as school broadcasts) would immediately benefit member institutions financially.

Tier 4: School broadcasts. Any games that are not on the previous 3 should be streamed via the school. The previous 3 would also eventually make all member institutions get on the same accord as far as streaming capabilities

All 4 would ensure EVERY game by every institution is covered that we know we can control (not including OOC matchups)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Probably the schools. That's probably the only reason the SWAC doesn't have all games on ESPN+ yet. The commissioner made this one of his primary goals for the near future.

This is why you have a functioning Mass Comm program. They can learn how TV works and building up their resumes. If I were over it, I would pay them as well (as a stipend) to ensure that they are motivated to give maximize effort

Which is why I have repeatedly stated that everyone has to be on the same accord. The OVC dropped $1 million into their network building it up from the ground up to ensure this. There is no reason why the SWAC can't/hasn't done this yet. In 2021, people shouldn't have to search for pirate links for a ESPN3/ESPN+ broadcast or search on Twitter/Facebook for score updates because some schools aren't streaming their games.

I won't use the SEC as the main comparison although part of the above plan is from their plan to not only ensure all of their games are televised but there won't be a need to charge SWAC fans to pay to watch a game. Big bad Alabama goes along with the SEC and their TV plan because it's what's best for the conference because I'm sure they could do their own network and people would pay to watch it. We know all of their games are televised but some are on the SEC Network/+ (like Bama/Vandy for example).

That's why I use the OVC (a fellow FCS conference in football that doesn't have the overall impact like the SWAC but clearly has a model that is working and something that the SWAC could emulate). And as previously mentioned, we have the band element that could be an extra revenue generator once you get sponsors so that you can show the halftime shows in their entirity

Question for those whose schools are currently producing their own games...
Who are the following?
1. Responsible for production, play-by-play, etc?
2. Who is responsible for supervising the production?
3. Who does that supervisor answer to?

I'm curious because some schools do things differently, and I'm curious who's system is working best.

Im sure Im in the minority but with me.... I just want to see the game.... I dont want to see no instant replays.... no commentators.... Just show me the game... just like I would see it if I was in person. I love the SWAC basketball broadcast with no commentators.

I think the essence of this thread is a good one. I think this is a discussion that needs to be had.

Who are the following?

I'm curious because some schools do things differently, and I'm curious who's system is working best.

As far as Valley is concerned, they have a 3rd party company that handles football and basketball and their simulcast it with the radio broadcast. That's adequate for most but not up to ESPN+ standards (you need actual in studio analysts). As far as answering your questions, it would be on the school to take care of everything in house to get up to ESPN standards (if you can stream ESPN3, chances are you can stream ESPN+). ESPN is gonna be involved in the entire process just like they are with ESPN3 and ESPNU. All ESPN wants is a finished product to broadcast.

As far as your final statement, that's part of the problem. You got some schools on Youtube while others are on Livestream and SIDEARM (Youtube is far superior than anything other outlet). Some stream 0-1 home games a year. Others stream all. A couple are charging people to view their games. That has to change. Everyone gets on the same accord not only as far as not charging but being on the same accord as far as streaming every non-TV game (conference and non-conference at home).

The SDN could serve as a big game option for non-ESPNU/ESPN3 matchups (for example if Grambling/Valley is on ESPNU on a Thursday and SU/JSU is on ESPN3 on Saturday, then you could make PV/FAMU the "SDN Game Of The Week" (all other games would be a combo of ESPN+ and school broadcats). The SWAC takes care of that as far as the braodcast, analysts and sponsors (and of course everyone gets a cut). If its one thing that Sharp got right, it was the SDN being a quality product. My only gripe would be to hire local HBCU talent to do SDN games and not random Bob and Willie with no HBCU ties/knowledge.

You could also use the SDN/ESPN+ combo to give much needed attention to some of the non-revenue sports (especially with softball (which ESPNU only gives coverage to 1-2 times a YEAR), baseball and soccer). I see a lot of softball on ESPN+ so that's definitely something that we need to get on. This was also force our schools to cover these sports with their school sports sites and bring in much needed revenue to them (via ESPN+, SDN and school sites)

If you have all of these entities working in unisom, you are laying the groundwork for a REAL HBCU Network

Who are the following?

I think that most schools athletic department handles all of those.

As far as Valley is concerned, they have a 3rd party company that handles football and basketball and their simulcast it with the radio broadcast. That's adequate for most but not up to ESPN+ standards (you need actual in studio analysts). As far as answering your questions, it would be on the school to take care of everything in house to get up to ESPN standards (if you can stream ESPN3, chances are you can stream ESPN+). ESPN is gonna be involved in the entire process just like they are with ESPN3 and ESPNU. All ESPN wants is a finished product to broadcast.

As far as your final statement, that's part of the problem. You got some schools on Youtube while others are on Livestream and SIDEARM (Youtube is far superior than anything other outlet). Some stream 0-1 home games a year. Others stream all. A couple are charging people to view their games. That has to change. Everyone gets on the same accord not only as far as not charging but being on the same accord as far as streaming every non-TV game (conference and non-conference at home).

The SDN could serve as a big game option for non-ESPNU/ESPN3 matchups (for example if Grambling/Valley is on ESPNU on a Thursday and SU/JSU is on ESPN3 on Saturday, then you could make PV/FAMU the "SDN Game Of The Week" (all other games would be a combo of ESPN+ and school broadcats). The SWAC takes care of that as far as the braodcast, analysts and sponsors (and of course everyone gets a cut). If its one thing that Sharp got right, it was the SDN being a quality product. My only gripe would be to hire local HBCU talent to do SDN games and not random Bob and Willie with no HBCU ties/knowledge.

You could also use the SDN/ESPN+ combo to give much needed attention to some of the non-revenue sports (especially with softball (which ESPNU only gives coverage to 1-2 times a YEAR), baseball and soccer). I see a lot of softball on ESPN+ so that's definitely something that we need to get on. This was also force our schools to cover these sports with their school sports sites and bring in much needed revenue to them (via ESPN+, SDN and school sites)

If you have all of these entities working in unisom, you are laying the groundwork for a REAL HBCU Network

If you're on ESPN+, you are paying for that as a extra fee. What's the difference in them charging and for any schools charging?

I think if the SDN went the YouTube route, it would have been a better product. With them trying to run it on their on platform it constantly froze up and crashed.

Back