University of Michigan Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line, to white folks, we will NEVER be on their level and/or as good as them. They still and will always have the "superior" mentality.

They will hire only what they need to hire to make their quotas. I thank GOD for the AA and the quotas. This doesn't make me think less of myself nor my skills, it just makes me realize the world we live in and the skin I'm in and what it truly means to be Black and America.

Peace

Why subscribe to that mentality.....concentrate on self instead of wondering who's more superior than another.

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
Bottom line, to white folks, we will NEVER be on their level and/or as good as them. They still and will always have the "superior" mentality.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
Will you ever know if someone had half the skills you had? It's personal with me. If I'm not hired, I better myself instead of subscribing to the attitude, "I didn't get the job because I was Black." How about, let me work harder on myself.

You would know if someone had less experience and less education than you. I am not talking about GPA or stuff like that.

Don't get me wrong I don't think no one should get a job because of race, but we don't live in a perfect world now do we? When Tom stops hiring Biff and Buff because their father is a member of the country club I will stop supporting A.A.

They will hire only what they need to hire to make their quotas. I thank GOD for the AA and the quotas. This doesn't make me think less of myself nor my skills, it just makes me realize the world we live in and the skin I'm in and what it truly means to be Black and America.

Peace

I could not have said it any better.

I personally do not subscribe to that type of thinking.....I would rather say, "Ok, let me continue to better myself."

Originally posted by jag4life

You would know if someone had less experience and less education than you. I am not talking about GPA or stuff like that.

Why subscribe to that mentality.....concentrate on self instead of wondering who's more superior than another.

Who said I subscribed to anything? You keep making this personal. I'm speaking in general, realistic terms. That's the way it is. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is. It's not gonna stop me from applying and sending out resumes, but hey, that's the way the ball rolls. Some folks can't handle the truth nor face it.

Mannnn Black People do it to. Check out most of your HBCU's.

Originally posted by CEE DOG
Don't get me wrong I don't think no one should get a job because of race, but we don't live in a perfect world now do we? When Tom stops hiring Biff and Buff because their father is a member of the country club I will stop supporting A.A.

I personally do not subscribe to that type of thinking.....I would rather say, "Ok, let me continue to better myself."

How many degrees do we have to get???

I look at issues from a personal stand point because I can only concentrate on self. Not anyone else. You see Affirmative Action takes an ill effect on a lot of people. When you get a nice job, other people say you got it because you're black, the minute you mess up, and we all mess up on a job, people whisper and say see what Affrimative Action gets you. To me Affirmative Action has become a crutch. Yung people utilize it in negative terms now.

Who said I subscribed to anything? You keep making this personal. I'm speaking in general, realistic terms. That's the way it is. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is. It's not gonna stop me from applying and sending out resumes, but hey, that's the way the ball rolls. Some folks can't handle the truth nor face it.

I look at issues from a personal stand point because I can only concentrate on self. Not anyone else. You see Affirmative Action takes an ill effect on a lot of people. When you get a nice job, other people say you got it because you're black, the minute you mess up, and we all mess up on a job, people whisper and say see what Affrimative Action gets you. To me Affirmative Action has become a crutch. Yung people utilize it in negative terms now.

You can't worry about what people are whispering about. People talked about Jesus Christ, check out that other thread that Sperm started...they're talking about him right now.

I don't care what someone thinks about how I got my job. Like I stated earlier, I truly believe AA played a big factor in my getting hired, just for the simple fact that my company hardly hires blacks. Now, of course, we'd like to think that our skills play the ONLY factor, but that's not how this game works. and oh yeah, it's a game, if you didn't know. ;)

All I can do is do my job to the best of my ability and believe in myself. I know I'm intelligent and have a dayum good education to back it up, but what's wrong with having another edge since it's so desperately needed. Unfortunately, we STILL LIVE IN A RACIST SOCIETY. Had that NOT been the case, AA would NOT have been needed, now would it?

Kema,

I totally agree, I'm not knocking that at all...I'm just saying that, I truly believe had it not been for Affirmative Action, a lot of us would NOT have these positions at these companies.

Clarence Thomas and Ward Connerly mainly.

:tdown: :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
In my working experience, I had to fight for qualfied blacks each day. Nothing has changed, because everytime blacks figure the system out a new system takes it places. However, if blacks are not in positions to increase the number of blacks in schools or the work force whites are not going to do it. Today I was watching the Supreme Court debate AA and at the same time I said we don't have one black Senator and those blacks in the House lost seniority to head up key committees when the Republicans won the election. These guys make the rules.

We spend more dollars on defense than other programs, therefore, there is a connection that blacks should be represented in the workforce. You have to go back and read how AA came about and you will see it is not about race but employment. I enjoyed the quota system before they changed it. We got a lot of blacks promoted and hired during the Quota system. Contary to popular belief and how some of you see this issue these blacks were highly qualified.

What would you do if you take over an organization that is total white and many qualified blacks approach and tell you that they did not get hired and were better qualified than those who got the jobs. I reviewed applications and saw first hand at what was going on. Then every chance I got I hired a black. One must be in position to help blacks and not be afraid to hire a black because they are just plain scared. I met many blacks who always wanted to be tho only black in the organization so they would talk against qualified blacks.

The system got us debating AA when the issue is not about AA, but ensuring whites stay on top. Sure a lot of blacks will always do well because we have a lot of smart black people, but it is the masses that I am worried about.

I have seen blacks hired in key positions, but in the process they take away their hiring and promotion authority. If one has not been in a position to have some direct effect on the hiring practices in America then AA will be a problem. When I walk into any business or organization I can tell who is doing the most difficult work, but like I said before you have to be in a position to hire and fire to make a difference. The young lady who filed the complaint was not qualified to enter the Michigan Law School and she should not have been considered. She did not meet the qualfications. Qualified can mean a lot of different things.

Long live AA, because it is not an individual thing, but I sure would like to be debating those supreme justice folks head to head.

CeeDog keep fighting for AA, and I am happy to see someone understand AA is not an individual thing. White women has benefited more that blacks.

Mighty Dog I could not have said it any better. I think the problem with us as Black people is that we don't understand business. By this I mean corp. america is a game you have to understand that their is a reason for everything done in this place. Don't be fooled into thinking that you are anyone's friend. The objective is green. Who ever has it controls America. 1903 or 2003 tell me what has really changed in the work place? How many CEO's do we have for fortune 500's? Let's be real people. It is not about race but about justice.
Originally posted by MightyDog
In my working experience, I had to fight for qualfied blacks each day. Nothing has changed, because everytime blacks figure the system out a new system takes it places. However, if blacks are not in positions to increase the number of blacks in schools or the work force whites are not going to do it. Today I was watching the Supreme Court debate AA and at the same time I said we don't have one black Senator and those blacks in the House lost seniority to head up key committees when the Republicans won the election. These guys make the rules.

We spend more dollars on defense than other programs, therefore, there is a connection that blacks should be represented in the workforce. You have to go back and read how AA came about and you will see it is not about race but employment. I enjoyed the quota system before they changed it. We got a lot of blacks promoted and hired during the Quota system. Contary to popular belief and how some of you see this issue these blacks were highly qualified.

What would you do if you take over an organization that is total white and many qualified blacks approach and tell you that they did not get hired and were better qualified than those who got the jobs. I reviewed applications and saw first hand at what was going on. Then every chance I got I hired a black. One must be in position to help blacks and not be afraid to hire a black because they are just plain scared. I met many blacks who always wanted to be tho only black in the organization so they would talk against qualified blacks.

The system got us debating AA when the issue is not about AA, but ensuring whites stay on top. Sure a lot of blacks will always do well because we have a lot of smart black people, but it is the masses that I am worried about.

I have seen blacks hired in key positions, but in the process they take away their hiring and promotion authority. If one has not been in a position to have some direct effect on the hiring practices in America then AA will be a problem. When I walk into any business or organization I can tell who is doing the most difficult work, but like I said before you have to be in a position to hire and fire to make a difference. The young lady who filed the complaint was not qualified to enter the Michigan Law School and she should not have been considered. She did not meet the qualfications. Qualified can mean a lot of different things.

Long live AA, because it is not an individual thing, but I sure would like to be debating those supreme justice folks head to head.

CeeDog keep fighting for AA, and I am happy to see someone understand AA is not an individual thing. White women has benefited more that blacks.

Well let me say this, and I'm speaking from my industry (Technology).

With the widespread of the internet and a globalize economy, companies are getting very smart at how they do business. Majority of the Software Development is done outside the US. Companies are hiring workers in India, New Zealand, and other parts of the world to get their work done CHEAPER. So AA doesn't even matter in today's society ANYWAY. Quotas are meaningless compared to the bottom line, which is PROFIT. If a company has a choice of paying a:

white man $80,000/yr or a
black man $80,000/yr or an
indian man $35,000/yr.

More than likely he will pick the indian.

We need to depend on our skills, knowledge, and creativeness to be competitive. AA only says that you will use the color of your skin to get a job or into a school.

On the topic of education, our country has colleges and universities of every social and economical level. There are schools for the rich, poor, black, white, smart, dumb, etc. If you barely got a degree from UAPB, there is no reason for your azz to attempt to get into the best law school. If your mama was on welfare all your life, there is no reason for you to try to go to Harvard. If you got straight A's at a HBCU, there is a top notch post-graduate school out there for you.

One major problem I have with Affirmative Action is that young African American students use it as a crutch and do not focus on the skills to get the job. Affirmative Action should be the last issue factored into the equation of looking for a job. It should not even be concentrated on by the individual looking for the job.

The funny thing is, most of you know this and don't want to admit it. I have seen it when I recruited at Grambling, Southern, Hampton, FAMU, Howard and Texas Southern. The first thing I was asked was, "How many blacks do you have, and does Affirmative Action play a role." This was before they even gave me the resume. I'm like dayum, can you ask what my division does first.

In short, Affirmative Action has aided minorities, but now it has become a crutch for those who abuse it by not focusing on their skills first, and affirmative action second.

MightyDog,
Are you saying that someone should get the opportunity because he has the skills and the color of their skin? Do you ommit the COMPETITION? Do you force an employer (who to the RISK to establish a company) to hire someone on their skillset and the color of their skin? This is exactly the problem. If you are the best for the job, you will get the job, PERIOD. If you are the best candidate for the LAW school, you will get into the LAW school.

All of this dayum help only hinders the mind from being creative. If one didn't get the job, then maybe that person will step out of a limb and start a business and create jobs. Then he now is in position to hire as he pleases.

If one is rejected from Michigan Law School, then maybe he will go to Howard and graduate at the top of his class and become the next black judge on the Supreme Court.

AA is the same thing as welfare to me. People (majority) on welfare will never be creative because they have become dependent on 1 day of the month. Now the government has complete control of them, and they don't even know it.

I have been saying it throughout the entire thread. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION has become an institutionalized crutch.

What I read is: I've got mine, to hell with the rest.

But then again your young so I understand.

Originally posted by PLOW DOG

What I read is: I've got mine, to hell with the rest.

But then again your young so I understand.

I think that is what you understand, not what you read. He got his by working hard, not by his skin color or a quota system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back