University Leveled Music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we can't compete with those schools. We have an open door policy which will soon be closed. Mr. Hutchinson had the concept that kids who had no place to go could come here and become somebody. Besides the music the white kids are gettin' into, we have all but abandoned that music (JAZZ). They know more about Jazz and Blues more that most of us and I think that is a musical sin. Home growing our own students is a great concept. I don't know what kind of set up we got here. Maybe just Band Alumni sending their students to bands in the SWAC. I really don't know.

Originally posted by Legend35
I know we can't compete with those schools. We have an open door policy which will soon be closed. Mr. Hutchinson had the concept that kids who had no place to go could come here and become somebody. Besides the music the white kids are gettin' into, we have all but abandoned that music (JAZZ). They know more about Jazz and Blues more that most of us and I think that is a musical sin. Home growing our own students is a great concept. I don't know what kind of set up we got here. Maybe just Band Alumni sending their students to bands in the SWAC. I really don't know.

Let me put it this way...In my little corner of the world, the HS band, orchestra, and choral director are in constant contact with the middle school and elementary music directors and college directors. It is a solid channel of communication. Potential students are identified by the 4th grade. They are coaxed, channelled, and prodded. The HS directors visit the lower schools and get them excited. The older brothers and sisters get the younsters excited. The Band Boosters raise money to send the kids annually to music competitions in AZ, TN, VA, GA, or LA. One of the criteria in selecting the musical programs is to showcase the premiere students at these festivals (where there are tons of college recruiters) so they get outstanding soloist awards and such. Participation in Solo & Ensemble adjudication is REQUIRED; tri-stat, all-state or all-county selection are entrance requirements to play in the Wind Ensemble, where they play Grade 6 & higher music. Resumes are built for the students and reputation is built for the program and director so the students applying for scholarships with the HS director's endorsement are a given before they even audition. It is the kind thing that just makes for success. There are no secrets; just hard work.

Now, this is "Gucci" high. There are some Benz, Jags, and Navigators in the student parking lot. The top players play Edwards/Bach bones and trumpets, Buffet clarinets, Selmer Paris/Yamaha Custom/Keilwerth saxes, Gemeinhardt/Yamaha/Haynes flutes. But, those that are reaping the rewards of the system are putting in the time and effort that it takes to be successful.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
When can compete but

Well, I feel we can compete, but there is one problem, all the attention is centered around the marching band now. I know that is what built the name for the band, but back in the 80's, Gram had a great jazz show band, that traveled with the band to japan. After that, when Maurice johnson was there before his heart attack, he had a nice jazz band, along with Mr. Seals, not only that, the Orchestra program was decent, and the Choir was also. So Grambling had a program which they could compete with.
But, it is the music staff that lost the direction, why-MARCHING BAND.

Secondly, the problem i see in these high school and middle schools, is the directors is just not teaching, more especially in the middle school. I don't know how many of you would agree with me, But I am TOTALLY against middle school MARCHING:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Why because of fundamental is not being taught, they are not successful at festival, and they are only concetrating on blowing and not playing the instrument-that is why some of these high schools are the way they are now. The band directors in high school spending more time on fundamentals and how to play the instrument, instead of advancing the students musically and technically.

I agree that something has gone terribly wrong with the middle school situation but, I can't really speak on it because I've never had that experience yet. I do know middle school development of the students is the most important stage because if you don't start them off right, well, you have crippled them for a long long time.There are a lot of band directors that I've spoken to who feels the way you do when it comes to marching.

I also spoke to people who have major knowledge on this subject. I was told that there are students right here in Grambling that came out of those school that Dacontinent was talking about but, they have other majors (business-finance...) and for some reason are not affiliated with any of the music programs. Some I've spoken to believes that some of the alumni that graduates from here gets brain washed in the real world and decides to send their kids to white colleges. When we offer the same program. They feel this is how we loose out. I've always said that the best musicians was not in the band but, out there on campus. My question is why?

OK

Ok, now for 6 LONG pages we have sat here and discussed a good portion of the muscial and psychological problems of the HBCU band programs as a whole. BUT, the real question should be "WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?" Us just sitting here discussing this issue to death isn't going to help the problem. We all need to be involved in trying to rectify the situaion..

Now, WHAT IS WE GON' DO?

Re: OK

Originally posted by t_blaster2001
Ok, now for 6 LONG pages we have sat here and discussed a good portion of the muscial and psychological problems of the HBCU band programs as a whole. BUT, the real question should be "WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?" Us just sitting here discussing this issue to death isn't going to help the problem. We all need to be involved in trying to rectify the situaion..

Now, WHAT IS WE GON' DO?

WE???? :confused:

The fact that there are those that recognize that a problem exist is key to getting to where we know we can/should be as musicians/directors. A good plan always start with a discussion. Then a plan of action follows. ;)

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY, FRAT!

Re: Re: OK

Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger

WE???? :confused:

The fact that there are those that recognize that a problem exist is key to getting to where we know we can/should be as musicians/directors. A good plan always start with a discussion. Then a plan of action follows. ;)

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY, FRAT!
Agreed... You have to identify the problem before you deal with it. If I was in a position to do anything about (I )would:

1. Start writing arrangements that comprises the musical elements required by national musical organization. I would start demonstrating that I can play challenging pieces as well as entertain the fans with the stuff they want to hear but, I would be musical in all aspects. I would write songs that are balanced for both the young and old that are MORALLY exceptable for a college atmosphere and would not offend my mother nor would I have to cover the eyes and ears of my children.

2. I WOULD COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN ALL THIS OVER BLOWING REGARDLESS OF HOW LOUD THE OPOSING BAND IS.No more two bands blowing at the same time. I would show respect even if they don't

3. At band camp, I would make sure each student is able to meet the basic requirement that is required by my music program BY THE NUMBERS before we move on to commercial music and dance routines.
I would make sure that band camp is not a rush through. They will be on the streets marching 22 1/2 inch steps by the number with their legs at a 90 degree angle until they are dreaming about it. They will for a certainty be able to execute all millitary commands.
They must be able to play major and minor scales daily and that will never stop. As the day go on more will be added. Technical practices are a must.
When doing dance routines BY THE NUMBER all body and horn placements will look the same. IT will not be rushed.

4. I will use time wisely. Time will be spent evenly and wisely for inside and outside practices.

5. I would re-establish some self respect and pride for my band and the oposing band by the way I conduct myself in the presence of the band in hopes that the reflection of that character will influence them.

6. Regardless of what the objectives of the administration is for my music program. It is my responsibility to look out for the well being of my students in order that they can be prepared for life's challenges. In area that I am weak musically. I will ask for help and I will be open to new ideal from young music majors as well as old heads with experience.

Now that's what I will do.
I am not in any position to do anything about what's going on right now. I am just one voice that found a way on this thread to get through to those who are stewards over these historical music programs. Had it not been for this web ,.. I would still be that unheard voice crying alone because of the dangerous state we are all heading musically.The powers that be and the arrangers would not give me the time of day because of pride and other variables. Some fail to realize that pride and modesty work together. Now here it is for all to read. I have done all I can do and now it is up to you to admit there are problems or to reject this and say everything is better than ever.
It is sincerely my hopes and prayers that someone was reached on this thread and through wisdom is determined to make some kind of difference .
The beginning of change starts with ourselves. So,... this my contribution for change to all of you.

Where are they going? Michigan, Michigan State, North Texas (jazz), Florida, Florida State, Miami (jazz), South Florida, Central Florida (jazz), North Florida (jazz and coming fast!), Berklee, Julliard, Eastman, and North Carolina from our school.

I got two brothers who love jazz and are good at what they do. They graduate this year but unfortunately I don't know of any HBCU with an intensive jazz program. Thay ended up going to programs with a true jazz program.

Originally posted by Legend35
It is sincerely my hopes and prayers that someone was reached on this thread and through wisdom is determined to make some kind of difference .
The beginning of change starts with ourselves. So,... this my contribution for change to all of you.

BRAVO!! BRAVO!!....
appl.gif

:jump:

Hey Legend:wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back