Under Armour launches Curry Brand to take on Nike's Jordan Brand...

Mace

Under Armour launches Curry Brand to take on Nike's Jordan Brand, but timing is not ideal​

Daniel Roberts
·Editor-at-Large
Mon, November 30, 2020, 3:02 PM CST·5 min read

Under Armour hopes it has found its answer to Nike’s mega-successful Jordan Brand.
Seven years after Golden State Warriors star Steph Curry switched from Nike to Under Armour, the Baltimore-based sportswear brand is creating an entirely separate brand around him, with its own new logo. (Curry’s alma mater Davidson University is already wearing jerseys with his new logo.)

Under Armour (UAA) will launch Curry Brand on Dec. 1, the company announced on Monday, and has pushed up the launch of the next Curry signature basketball sneaker to Dec. 11, in time for the holiday shopping season and shortly before the 2021 NBA season tips off on Dec. 22.

The standalone brand will start with basketball and golf sneakers and apparel, and will eventually extend to other sports. It will also have a charitable element: a portion of Curry Brand’s annual revenue “will be invested in under-resourced communities,” the company said. And Curry Brand “aims to create at least 20 safe places to play” and “support 125 programs that impact young athletes” by 2025.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
nobody wears Jordan Brand... and nobody will wear Curry brand lol
What do you mean nobody wears Jordan Brand? All kinds of people wear Retro Jordans and the Jordan gear. The only thing you don't see flying off the shelves is Team Jordan shoes.

This won't work for Curry because he doesn't have the legacy that Jordan has and UA doesn't appeal to everyday people. Their shoe designs are tragic. I wouldn't mind buying some gear though when they go on deep discount.

Sorry but I agree with DAhill lol. I don't know ANYONE that wears Jordan brand lol. Jordans sure, but the rest... naw. I'm sure there are some out there that do though.

What rock you been living under? lol
Jordan Brand is TEAM JORDAN.... aint nobody buying that ish but grandparents who THINK they getting their grandkids some "Jordans".... The only Jordans people are buying are Retro Jordans which are not Team Jordans. If you dont know the difference I cant help you.

Jordan Brand is TEAM JORDAN.... aint nobody buying that ish but grandparents who THINK they getting their grandkids some "Jordans".... The only Jordans people are buying are Retro Jordans which are not Team Jordans. If you dont know the difference I cant help you.
When did I say something about Team Jordan. I haven’t said not one thing or trying to differentiate between Team Jordan and Retro Jordan. I don’t know why you respond with that. But the Jordan Brand had approximately $3Billion in Revenue in each of the last 2 years.

I'm surprised that Under Armour has the money to afford this move given all the financial problems they've had lately.

I think it's more about UA's push into the international markets, e.g. Japan. Steph Curry's fame in Japan was Beatles status before last year happened. Plus, Jordan Brand signed Rui Hachimura last year (1st Japanese-born player to be drafted in 2019 NBA draft), and he is beloved like Ichiro Suzuki over there. Jordan Brand is cornering the Japanese market, and Steph is UA's best hope at thwarting that.

I think it's more about UA's push into the international markets, e.g. Japan. Steph Curry's fame in Japan was Beatles status before last year happened. Plus, Jordan Brand signed Rui Hachimura last year (1st Japanese-born player to be drafted in 2019 NBA draft), and he is beloved like Ichiro Suzuki over there. Jordan Brand is cornering the Japanese market, and Steph is UA's best hope at thwarting that.
This makes sense. We get caught up thinking domestically

At one point, Stephon Marbury was only behind Yao Ming as far as popularity among basketball players eclipsing even Lebron and Jordan

That's why China made the NBA kiss the ring when the Rockets GM made that tweet supporting Hong Kong.

He was right as far as supprting them but business wise it hurt them

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back