UAPB Fires Coaches

I guess they knew they were going to be worse than Valley and decided to make an excuse for this year's losing season. Good Strategy!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't think it was more of a suprise because of the record, it seems more of a suprise because of the timing. Most coaches are terminated at the end of their season and not a few months from the beginning of the next season. Although one is retiring, the other will have to wait to get another job in his field though thats not guaranteed. It seems a little chicken S**T that they received letters in the mail and not a face to face meeting, but I guess thats how UAPB works. :rolleyes:

I'm just as shock as they are. I actually thought the school had forgot we have a basketball team and didn't know that it is the WORST program in America.

Somebody actually cares!!! Its a shame that Coach Clemons had to die in order for this to happen, but it lets me know that the only reason the men's coach stayed on as long as he did was because of Coach Clemons death.

I agree with Fiyah, that it was real shatty for the coaches to get termination letters in the mail. I wonder why did they wait so late to take action.

They kept their jobs as long as they did because the AD refused to fire them, and kept going to bat for them to keep their jobs. Even when Coach Clem retired, Davis didn't have the 'nads to fire those guys while he was still around, because he was still playing a role in the decision making in the athletic department.

I don't see how either of them could be surprised. They knew that thought was being made about possible changes in the basketball program. They were told as such. Conley should have taken advantage of his position to get a Master's degree. I don't feel sorry for either of them.

However, I'ma need the Chancellor not to give the Ladies' position to his niece.

Hopeflly, brighter days are ahead for Pine Bluff Basketball. but a record of 36-147, Damn. And according to the article, his best year was his first, 9-12, that makes it 27 - 135 after that. But in some defense (not much) you can't give any coach a $8000 recruiting budget and then line up major D1A teams and expect him to win. THe problem is more than just the coach.

Well, I agree that an $8000 recruiting budget needs to be address. But I also believe that if given $50,000, that could could not have done any better.

UAPB had descent basketball teams in the early 90's, I'm sure that coach didn't have a big budget either.

As for coach Conley, F'em, he is a punk.

Back