UAH MIT of the South? What About AAMU?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Here's an article on UAH in Huntsville. The question is posed, probably rhetorically, "could UAH become the MIT of the south?". Amazing to me that these schools (the AUMs, the TSUMs, the UAHs, the UABs) come out of nowhere within the last 40 years or less to get so much run/help/assistance( i.e., "with plenty of money and local support) when the Tuskegees, the ASUs, the AAMUs, the Talladega Cols, the Oakwoods, the Stillmans, the Miles have been around over 100 years and have to fight for every penny, any recognition. Next thing, UAH will start a football program. Watch. ( :topic: but less I digress)

I do see mention of joint efforts between UAH and AAMU mentioned here, so hopefully as the Huntsville region continues to grow and prosper, the college paradigmn in Huntsville will be a mutually beneficial one like the situation in Raliegh-Durham-Chapel Hill or like FAMU and FSU.

UAH MIT of South

$$$$ is the answer to what is going on at UAH. NASA has help transform North Alabama into a place with highest income and best educated citizens in the state. Senator Shelby will get the money for UAH. In reality, UAH is probably the best school in the state for engineering.

Money does talk. For example, ASU has one of the best Biological Sciences programs in the state. They are doing a lot of research and are doing some major research programs with Auburn University (main campus) - Those students are being accepted to some of the best grad and medical schools in the country. The University has received lots of Federal dollars (thanks to the staff - Senator Shelby has not made those same efforts on our behalf).

BTW - UAB is "THE" medical school in the State of Alabama. The school came into it?s on when former Governor Lurleen Wallace (George's wife) got cancer. After that, the state really poured the money into the medical school.

Money talks! Unfortunately the rest of the state does not see the importance of education. The public school systems outside of the NASA region are horrible. If your kid is in public schools in Alabama, you better get them into a magnet school.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
UT-Dallas was co-founded by TI. Surprise, surprise it's got a great engineering school. I'm not going to say who the majority is on that campus...

AAMU in Hsv.

My Pops went to ASU undergrad and AAMU for grad school (back during the days when Dr. Dawson was working on campus). Pop tells me that in the 50s and 60s many of the whites were going to AAMU for grad school in HSV. AAMU was already long established when VBraun/NASA came to town. Why did they have to create UAH when they had AAMU there? rhetorical question. plus too,, I can't playa hate Bama/Auburn/Troy State for setting up a campus in growing college markets,,, but my goodness,,, how deez mugz can go from nowhere to what they are now so quickly,,,,, that is extremely sus. :confused:

Bartram,

The whites still go to AAMU for their Master's and Doctorates. They just don't go to graduation anymore. They get their diplomas mailed to them instead. :smh:

Back