TxSU put on probation, may lose accreditation next year

Man, just when I TRY to give that sorry assed Houston newspaper the benefit of the doubt they politely come out in a "timely" fashion w/ stuff like this.

Seems like they're <b>intentionally</b> trying to discredit TSU somehow. In one way or another, they're on a mission to destroy her image and I can't stand it because I've bore witness to this bullsh*t during the 80s here. :|

Don't sneeze too loudly around campus or the chronicle will report that you put snot on the sidewalk. :retard:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It almost seems like the media here is just trying to slow release stuff and drive the school into the mud.

Why did they only put the FACT that Texas Tech (yeah the big one in Lubbock) was also placed on probation at the END of the TSU article? To really know the effect you'd have to see the print version.

Front page: "TSU on probation"

Page 4 in small bold print: "Texas Tech also"

Its probably because Tech is way in Lubbock and generally very few people care about it in the Houston area.

After I initially debated the first damn paragraph of the article, they made a few changes, further into the debate they ?slipped? Texas Tech University into the article because the first edition didn't include them none whatsoever.

I even talked to a SACS representative and there are several phases an institution must go through before the last resort of stripping an institution of its accreditation. We are in phase one and would be placed in phase two at the end of that initial probationary year if we didn?t meet SACS compliance however that newspaper states we are "one step away" from losing it.

I figured TSU wasn't that close to losing accreditation. The Houston Post needs to re-open and give the Chronicle a little competion because they tend to take things a run with it. And the comments below the articles are just as ridiculous.

It almost seems like the media here is just trying to slow release stuff and drive the school into the mud.

Aside from the chronicle's tendancy to elaborate, I don't think this story about TSU's accreditation is their doing. I first read about it on another media outlet that also mentioned Tech and FAMU.

Aside from the chronicle's tendancy to elaborate, I don't think this story about TSU's accreditation is their doing. I first read about it on another media outlet that also mentioned Tech and FAMU.

Another media outlet could have picked it up from the wire after the Chronicle put it out.

I love TSU as a sports rival, and I loved competing against them when I played at PV. I've competed against my own family members there. My wife was a student there when we lived in Houston for a while. I surely hope TSU will get it turned around. I think they will be just fine.

But if this topic is to remain on the Sports Board, then we need to talk about this issue as it relates to sports. I feel that with all the negative press, and how black folks love to take negative isht and run with it, this could affect future TSU recruiting in the short term.

What do you guys think?

I also beleive it will have a negative impact in the short term. This cloud needs to be lifted soon.

We have to because anti-Texas Southerners here in Texas loves to glorify and relish in BS such as this. This also was sent out to discourage parents to not allow their son/daughter to enroll in the Spring semester as today is the end of the Fall semester is this week.

Perfect timing on behalf of that paper if you ask me. SACS hasn't even delivered the damn report to Texas Southern yet!

This is so true.

Man, just when I TRY to give that sorry assed Houston newspaper the benefit of the doubt they politely come out in a "timely" fashion w/ stuff like this.
Seems like they're <b>intentionally</b> trying to discredit TSU somehow. In one way or another, they're on a mission to destroy her image and I can't stand it because I've bore witness to this bullsh*t during the 80s here. :|

Don't sneeze too loudly around campus or the chronicle will report that you put snot on the sidewalk. :retard:

I too have tried to give that paper the benifit of the doubt. But reality strikes me in the face. However, there is the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which in my opinion can make the Houston Chronicle look first rate in its reporting.

Another media outlet could have picked it up from the wire after the Chronicle put it out.

I seriously doubt that. The SACS results were going to be made available to the associated press whether or not TSU was on probation or not. No matter what university was at fault, it was going to get in the news. The Chronicle likely took the story and ran with it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5373504.html

Texas Southern University is only one step away from losing its accreditation after the latest and most serious blow to a school already in crisis.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, in a meeting of its 77-member Commission on Colleges this week, placed the state's largest historically black university on probation for the first time because of the its poor financial picture.

The rare rebuke means that TSU could lose its accreditation if the university does not rectify the issues within a year.

Without accreditation, the school's academic degrees would lose credibility and its students would not be eligible for federal financial aid.

The loss of accreditation would be devastating to TSU because nearly two-thirds of its 9,500 students receive need-based federal Pell Grants.....................................................

This is disturbing, I hope Houston,TxSU alums, and faculty can get it together.

Damn TX. Southern

I seriously doubt that. The SACS results were going to be made available to the associated press whether or not TSU was on probation or not. No matter what university was at fault, it was going to get in the news. The Chronicle likely took the story and ran with it.

Honestly what other media outlet was going to carry a specifically Texas Southern accreditation story when many other schools across the country are also put on probation?

The Chronicle got the info and wrote their "story".

Unfortunately, due to the recent troubles that the university has experienced, we are under a microscope. Anything that happens at this point will get local press.

What this does is continues to give us a black eye and have a negative impact of enrollment.

With the pending re-trial of former president Slade, we'll have at least another year of negative publicity. The challenge will be to weather the storm.

I'm confident that our reorganization plan has addressed all the issues and we should satisfy the concerns of SACS and be removed from probation.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5373504.html

Texas Southern University is only one step away from losing its accreditation after the latest and most serious blow to a school already in crisis.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, in a meeting of its 77-member Commission on Colleges this week, placed the state's largest historically black university on probation for the first time because of the its poor financial picture.

The rare rebuke means that TSU could lose its accreditation if the university does not rectify the issues within a year.

Without accreditation, the school's academic degrees would lose credibility and its students would not be eligible for federal financial aid.

The loss of accreditation would be devastating to TSU because nearly two-thirds of its 9,500 students receive need-based federal Pell Grants.....................................................

This is disturbing, I hope Houston,TxSU alums, and faculty can get it together.

Well I'm sure PVU is getting prepared for all the transfer students...lol

Back