TXSU Merge 2019

I just got to ask, why is it band folks seem to do nothing but criticize one another? Since you all are suppose to know music so well wouldn't it be better to talk about how each band could improve their sound, formations and overall show? I'm just saying, it seems band folks like to literally toot their horn a lot at other bands expense.

Why would this be any different than the sports discussions? What you're suggesting isn't something I would expect to see on a fan website. Maybe a music educator site, but not here.

Honestly if you've made it all the way to college sounding like this there's nothing somebody on a message board is gonna be able to tell you. We're talking about grown men and women with no sense of quality.

You words are the perfect example of what I was talking about. I was talking about all bands since no band is perfect, but you carry on. It is amazing how some you band folks will not leave pettiness alone.

Why would this be any different than the sports discussions? What you're suggesting isn't something I would expect to see on a fan website. Maybe a music educator site, but not here.

Too easy, why does it have to be like a sports discussion? It is just an observation of mine, if some of you take pleasure in being critical of one another it's your choice....I just don't see the sense in it.

It doesn't matter what the band at TSU does or sounds like. I assure you, you won't find many who would compliment them on anything if they did something great. Hence why even thinking of hiring non TSU alums should stop.

I get what you're saying about our TSU because it's the usual cast of characters doing what they do, but I was really talking about all bands.

You words are the perfect example of what I was talking about. I was talking about all bands since no band is perfect, but you carry on. It is amazing how some you band folks will not leave pettiness alone.
My words are simply realistic. There's a HUGE difference between short of perfect and the things coming out of sTu's bells. Nobody should have to tell you that crap sounds bad. You're trying to compare critiquing minor changes to technique. In this case the only advice you can give is go back to your 6th grade method book and start over.

Too easy, why does it have to be like a sports discussion? It is just an observation of mine, if some of you take pleasure in being critical of one another it's your choice....I just don't see the sense in it.

its just friendly banter..our bands are as competitive as the football teams...if words get yall upset then yall need to be marching with UH or TAMU!

I know the current state of my band but I still talk my ish to SU and JSU whenever I can...same for cats from Fort Valley, MVSU, Dega, FAMU or any other band. we're going to talk trash but its all love

My words are simply realistic. There's a HUGE difference between short of perfect and the things coming out of sTu's bells. Nobody should have to tell you that crap sounds bad. You're trying to compare critiquing minor changes to technique. In this case the only advice you can give is go back to your 6th grade method book and start over.

BP, I never said anything about short of perfection, sounding bad, critiquing, technique or method so I'm not going to even try to imagine how you think I did, but I believe I already know. What I simply asked, in so many words, is whether constructive criticism of bands, all bands, is more beneficial than the constant banter between band folks on this board. All I said, and it was just an opinion, is it seems band folks like to literally toot their horn a lot at other bands expense. I was talking about all bands, and some posters. You can't find where I said otherwise.

Last edited:
its just friendly banter..our bands are as competitive as the football teams...if words get yall upset then yall need to be marching with UH or TAMU!

I know the current state of my band but I still talk my ish to SU and JSU whenever I can...same for cats from Fort Valley, MVSU, Dega, FAMU or any other band. we're going to talk trash but its all love

I get that, but I just did...lmao. I still think you band folks are a special breed though....lol!

BP, I never said anything about short of perfection, sounding bad, critiquing, technique or method so I'm not going to even try how you imagined I did, but I think I already know. What I simply asked, in so many words, is whether constructive criticism of bands, all bands, is more beneficial than the constant banter between band folks on this board. All I said, and it was just an opinion, is it seems band folks like to literally toot their horn a lot at other bands expense. I was talking about all bands, and some posters. You can't find where I said otherwise.

In my opinion part of why Lil C was correct. The best thing for TxSU would be to get an alum that is familiar with the Ocean’s traditions to lead the band.

BP, I never said anything about short of perfection, sounding bad, critiquing, technique or method so I'm not going to even try to imagine how you think I did, but I believe I already know. What I simply asked, in so many words, is whether constructive criticism of bands, all bands, is more beneficial than the constant banter between band folks on this board. All I said, and it was just an opinion, is it seems band folks like to literally toot their horn a lot at other bands expense. I was talking about all bands, and some posters. You can't find where I said otherwise.
You say you didn't say anything about critiquing and then ask isn't constructive criticism better. Now I could be wrong but constructive criticism is critiquing.

Anyway like others have said it's all in love and fun like folks arguing over any sports team. I check out everybody's band (and then come back and cleanse my ears with my own lol). I think the trash talk on sTu right now though is more out of disbelief than fun. Folks are seriously wondering how they don't believe there's a problem with what they are doing and yet there will be the most trash talk coming out of that camp. Watch the videos after the LDC...

I still have faith things will come together very well for The Ocean of Soul this year. And they still have a full week left before the official season starts

Last edited:
I just got to ask, why is it band folks seem to do nothing but criticize one another? Since you all are suppose to know music so well wouldn't it be better to talk about how each band could improve their sound, formations and overall show? I'm just saying, it seems band folks like to literally toot their horn a lot at other bands expense.

Because the people over there are doing a disservice to these kids.... this is BAD... but he always on facebook showboating and talking shit while he needs to be TEACHING. If my school band sounded like this I would be HIGHLY upset an an alum.

Because the people over there are doing a disservice to these kids.... this is BAD... but he always on facebook showboating and talking shit while he needs to be TEACHING. If my school band sounded like this I would be HIGHLY upset an an alum.

Okay, I was just asking,... trying to get some understanding. My questions were broader than my school, but since the thread was about my school I see how that got by some.

As for Gibson, in my opinion, the non-sense he tried to pull with Haymer exposed all that is needed to know about his decision making. It doesn't take much to see how that same bad decision making could effect performance. If he is on Facebook clowning as you suggest, I'm not surprised by that either,....just more bad decision making to go along with the rest.

Last edited:
Back