Tx So hoops question

Why is Houston playing Wichita State in your basketball arena on espnu right now? they've packed it out...is that in contrast to your crowds?

They of course are renovating their arena which is less than a mile away from TSU. But actually they're having more success on our court than their own in recent history ... the haven't lost a game yet at TSU.

They of course are renovating their arena which is less than a mile away from TSU. But actually they're having more success on our court than their own in recent history ... the haven't lost a game yet at TSU.
In exchange for playing on your court (I'm sure they are paying a rental fee). I would have tried to extract a home game or two for the mike davis & maybe a game for football.

In exchange for playing on your court (I'm sure they are paying a rental fee). I would have tried to extract a home game or two for the mike davis & maybe a game for football.

Yes, not only that but they are spending thousands on concessions and parking. Also they're bringing people to campus that otherwise wouldn't be there. I'm almost sure most first time visitors perspective on TSU changed for the better after visiting the campus ... our campus is really beautiful and modern. It's not some "hood run-down school" like some ignorant people believe.

We also hosted UH graduation ceremonies and got paid from that. Getting money over here!

We don't play pre conference games at home anyway. We get paid while on the road and getting paid at home. Last i checked we haven't lost at home in 2 or 3 years. I see no reason for us to complain. I will not bother to check other SWAC home attendance and compare it to TSU. People are all in TSU's business. Things must be perfect at ASU

For the record. The game against Wichita St today was originally scheduled for Toyota Center. They paid extra to play the game at HP&E today. And we do have a football game out of the deal.

Gittin' dat money

Another reason I am shooting the first mofo that comes for our AD

Actually I'm not too excited about the UH game ... it'll likely leave us with key injuries and a demoralizing lost which could affect recruiting local players. Most people already feel TSU is inferior to UH, this game will only play into that wack narrative.

UH football is on the level of UT and A&M now ... it's really really strong now with recruiting and just quality of play. The brand new stadium and indoor practice facility elevated their program to the highest level in FBS football

I am never thrilled about fbs v fcs games. I was merely a dressing the issue. The only thing we get is a check....even if an fcs wins we still come away with nothing more than a check.

I am never thrilled about fbs v fcs games. I was merely a dressing the issue. The only thing we get is a check....even if an fcs wins we still come away with nothing more than a check.

Right but we received big checks before and I didn't notice anything change about the quality of the program. Where is that money going and why do we need it are my biggest questions. If the classic in Dallas is successful, that could be our big "money game" and we wouldn't need to get blown out by UH again. McClelland wants to play UH annually in football and I'm like no sir ... are you crazy?! Who wants to see a non-competitive game every year outside of racist whites and hispanics that hate TSU?

You see UH don't wanna play us in men's basketball anymore after they barely won in 2012 ... b/c they know we have a strong basketball program (when everyone is healthy). The only time UH wants to play us is if they know they can dominate us so we don't need to play them in all.

Last edited:
We don't play pre conference games at home anyway. We get paid while on the road and getting paid at home. Last i checked we haven't lost at home in 2 or 3 years. I see no reason for us to complain. I will not bother to check other SWAC home attendance and compare it to TSU. People are all in TSU's business. Things must be perfect at ASU
first...this is not pre-conference. that houston game was the 1st of 3 games in the hyper today (which there is nothing wrong with). I did want to know what tsu was getting out of it which graytiger informed me/us on. thanks. I also noted that the building was packed out. I'd never seen it that full for a game previously and w/o looking at tsu box scores how you guys have been doing.

first...this is not pre-conference. that houston game was the 1st of 3 games in the hyper today (which there is nothing wrong with). I did want to know what tsu was getting out of it which graytiger informed me/us on. thanks. I also noted that the building was packed out. I'd never seen it that full for a game previously and w/o looking at tsu box scores how you guys have been doing.

Today's UH game was about the match-up, and the fact their students are back and are within walking distance of our campus. You had conference rivals playing while both are having good seasons, UH (14-4, 4-2) against WS (15-3, 5-1).

To answer your question, we have done marginally well with attendance considering two of the first three home games were against SU & PV with no students on campus. Today will be the first game all of the students are back.

Expounding a little, on some of what has been said, UH was given a bargain rate just north of $50,000 to rent out our facility for basketball, but I believe it was all part of a larger plan. A football game was secured as mentioned, and the pay out for it will be $350,000. Not bad at all considering the pennies it will cost to cross the street and play them. Those comfortable looking new court side seats you saw, and the second row on a raised platform will also be staying. I'm not sure about the scorer's table, but I got a feeling it will be staying also.

They are spending $60,000,000 on their new facility so I suspect they have a planned look that doesn't include much of their current look. Taking into account the revenue from tickets and parking and other auxiliary benefits TSUGrayTiger mentioned we didn't come out bad at all.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ouston-warm-up-to-TSU-s-facility-12511735.php

I went to the game. It was a good atmosphere. Also, I really like TXSU Arena. It would be great if the SWAC Hosted the basketball Tournament there.

I only watched b/c the game on ESPNU b/c I loved all the promotion TSU was getting on UH's time. They have a good team and a renewed interest in their athletics program ... when I was at TSU, we would be almost equal in average basketball attendance despite UH being way larger.

I was gone for most of the evening and just saw the highlights. I had to do a double take when I saw Tigers on the court.

Both sections behind the goals were not packed out. Cougar High did have 5,000 pre sale tickets sold today.

Bullshit. If Cougar High ever dreams that they need to wake up and apologize. I'm not defending UT or aTm but UH is not there.

Just to clarify, I meant UH is on the level of UT and A&M when it comes to competing on the field and recruiting top players, something they couldn't do 10-15 years ago. In 2016, UH defeated a red-hot #3 OU, something UT couldn't do and A&M likely couldn't do either. And they finished 2017 with a better record than both UT and A&M.

UT and A&M football following, resources, and revenue are still way bigger than UH. I'm no fan of UH but it is what it is. UH is definitely making great progress and will catch up sooner than later ... they have a billionaire loyal alum (Fertitta) throwing big bucks behind them.

Last edited:
Damn shame that another school can sell out your arena but you cant do it.

They have 43k students, are 15-4, maybe ranked in the nation, and they didn't sell out the arena. If we played the #7 ranked team in the nation we would have similar numbers. Heck, when we play PV our numbers are similar. We have the best attended games in the SWAC.

I wish we had more home games to build on this

They have 43k students, are 15-4, maybe ranked in the nation, and they didn't sell out the arena. If we played the #7 ranked team in the nation we would have similar numbers. Heck, when we play PV our numbers are similar. We have the best attended games in the SWAC.

I wish we had more home games to build on this

I just see a bunch of excuses.

Back