Official TV One’s ‘Unsung’ Thread

Unsung is not as good as it used to be. They have gotten complacent and not true to the brand. Some artists to me have not done enough to be considered Unsung, then there were other artists that were not Unsung and/or they were so well know that when the documentary was aired, nothing new was revealed (George Clinton, Sly Stone).

Unsung is not as good as it used to be. They have gotten complacent and not true to the brand. Some artists to me have not done enough to be considered Unsung, then there were other artists that were not Unsung and/or they were so well know that when the documentary was aired, nothing new was revealed (George Clinton, Sly Stone).

I agree it is not as good as it used to be. It seems like they are just picking anyone. There were several groups/people who I did not
think should have been deemed unsung. I would like to see Bill Withers, Roberta Flack and Rachelle Ferrell.

Now, the episode with the Dramatics is the first episode of Unsung that I really enjoyed in a good minute. That was the Unsung I've come to know and love.

I remember being in a barbershop when the video "Doggy Dogg World" premiered on BET's Rap City. There was no talking or debating like usual. All heads were quiet and glued to the TV set and just like in the video which is one of my favorites of all time, young and old generations were represented. Man that was a good music moment.

Heard this song; and thought this guy is unsung worthy. Dude could really sing...

Last edited:
@Tiger1 of all you mentioned, the only group that I think I myself would be interested in is Intro. Over the years, their lead singer/writer Kenny G-Love Green (RIP) has sort of an underground cult following among R&B fans. He wrote songs for Mary J. on the "What's the 411," and Mariah Carey's "Dreamlover among other groups. He also got an ASCAP co-songwriter of the year with his Dave "Jam" Hall. Brother had skills...

But, I would love to see an Unsung documentary on "Cameo."

Stephanie Mills would be nice but she has already turned them down and told her fans no....

Still waiting for Maze featuring Frankie Beverly
Frankie Beverly and Maze are not unsung. I think the idea of the show is to feature artist that did not get much publicity. Frankie Beverly and Maze radio stations are still playing their tracks every week.

Frankie Beverly and Maze are not unsung. I think the idea of the show is to feature artist that did not get much publicity. Frankie Beverly and Maze radio stations are still playing their tracks every week.

They ARE Unsung. These other artist have their music played everyday also. So yes a "core " audience of people know all of these people that have had their stories told but when you talk about Maze pretty much has done the soundtrack for every family reunion or cookout, how they have a group of people that will follow them around when and wherever they tour but has NEVER received any kind of industry recognition, no musical awards ever and now the number of their songs being sampled and people not knowing that is a Maze song, yes they are Unsung. They truly have a story to be told while it looks like now they are scrapping the barrel to try and find people that they feel are unsung.

Frankie and Maze are NOT UNSUNG to TV One's core audience. Now maybe to mainstream folks, but not TV One's core audience.

Frankie and Maze are NOT UNSUNG to TV One's core audience. Now maybe to mainstream folks, but not TV One's core audience.
DeBarge, Switch, Ki-Ci & Jo-Jo, Al B Sure!, SWV, Xscape, Chante' Moore, Kid n Play, and Rick James - they have all appeared on Unsung - so now who are they Unsung too? They all crossover into some of the same core audience in some form or fashion.

DeBarge, Switch, Ki-Ci & Jo-Jo, Al B Sure!, SWV, Xscape, Chante' Moore, Kid n Play, and Rick James - they have all appeared on Unsung - so now who are they Unsung too? They all crossover into some of the same core audience in some form or fashion.

True. Those acts had some form of mainstream success ... But I'm still pissed they haven't done a Johnny "Guitar" Watson episode or a Devin the Dude episode. Acts like those cats are unsung.

There's no Gwen McCrae episode.
There's also no episode dedicated to Kraftwerk and Giorgio Moroder for their early electronic music being a big portion of the soundtrack of early hip-hop.
There's no Meters episode.
There's no Allen Toussaint episode.

Last edited:
My List

Big Bub or Today
Zhane
Total
Intro
Lisa Stanfield
Lisa Fisher
Marvin Sease
8 Ball & MJG