Tulane 22 - SU 9

thegooddoctor

The latest prediction on CBS sportslline [Harmon Forecast] has the Wave beating the Jags. I don't think these folks have seen Tulane, especially the Tulane defense. These boys absolutely can't tackle.

The TU defense is giving up 500 yards per game on defense and the coach says he sees improvement. They are absolutely the worst defense in division IA.

By the way, there is turmoil on the Tulane campus. Folks there are calling for Scelfo's head. They knew his hiring was based on back door Louisiana politics.

The Jaguar Nation are now buying tickets on Tulane side of the field. Seems as if old Tulane is going to be the visiting team in it's on stadium.

gooddoctor, Scelfo's days are already numbered, and when TU looses to SU Saturday, he will probably be fired that night, or Sunday morning.

If you remember, Scelfo wasn't the popular choice when he was hired. The players, and fans wanted Rich Rodriguez (Head Coach at WV) to succeed Tommy Bowden.

If West Virginia has a good year this season, expect Sandy Barbour (AD) to get fired as well. I don't know if she was forced to hire Scelfo, but she will surely be the fall woman on this.

I think this game will have to be reviewed by the higher ups at SU, for next year's game. From everything I've read, and heard. SU is outnumbering TU's ticket sales 2 to 1, and right now a split at the gate is not even feasible.

Hell Tulane may not want to play the game next year, after the SU put's them things on 'em.

NICE

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I wonder if Tulane is taking an opportunity to look at Pete? I think if Pete was a bit younger, this would probably be a strong possibility. However, it is not far-fetched right now.

I do know this...the better coach is wearing blue and gold!

Toolame fans were outnumbered in the dome last week when they played Univ Central Florida.

DNICE,
Sandy Barbour quit shortly after Scelfo was hired. She was very vocal about NOT hiring him and the boosters and administration didn't like that because Scelfo's family is one of the largest contributors to the university. His family owns Gambino's Bakery among other things in New Orleans.

Thanks j4l, I thought Sandy was still AD at TU.

I know Scelfo's family is well connected in the NO, but they are connected all over SE LA as well, I'm not sure, but I think they have a stake in Crystal Foods.

I think those connections are the only thing that will probably save his job until the end of the season. However, with the loss on Sat. he may not make it far, with, or without connections.

Like LSU, this is payback from the Regional this past May.

NICE

Originally posted by MikeBigg
I wonder if Tulane is taking an opportunity to look at Pete? I think if Pete was a bit younger, this would probably be a strong possibility. However, it is not far-fetched right now.

I do know this...the better coach is wearing blue and gold!

Wishful thinking BigMike put y'all won't get off that easy,pete will still be around to spank doug's butt
:D :D :p

I tell you what. If I were Tulane, ULL or any number of other D-1A programs trying to improve my program, I'd be looking at Pete real hard.

No, I don't want to see Pete leave the conference. I was just making an observation and statement that SU has the coaching advantage.

We're happy with the coach we have and the progress he has made for the program. I take nothing from Pete, he is 3-0 against Doug. Personally, I look for this to turn around...Doug Williams is a good coach, but yall already know that.

Beware this year!

Mikebigg

This is not smack, but when you say beware this year. What could you mean.

Doug couldn't hold a 11 point lead 3 years ago, a 21 point lead two years ago, and a come back fell short last year. What else should we beware of. Maybe if its tied at half-time, we haven't tried that have we.

We will just show and see what happens. I know how you feel. When this streak gonna end. Well Mikebigg, it ends when it ends. You got understand, SU is not going to the game trying to extend no streak, SU is just win the game that its playing. We aren't thinking about no streak. This is a long ways off anyway, where was I.

I disgress, thanks for the support against Toolame.

No smack taken. I concede that you won all three games. I honestly thought it would take Doug 4 years to be competitive in the league and in the conference. Well, Damn if he didn't become competitive in his first year.

The first year's halftime results were a shock. But the depth just wasn't there, plus no running game. That was one of the best defenses in the SWAC for SU in 1998. In 1999, the GMen collapsed due to lack of execution in the kicking game. Converted field goals and extra points would have put it away. Scotty dropping what should have been a clinching td didn't help either. Props to a veteran jag squad for hanging in there. Last year, the GMEN blew it. We were the most talented team, but got off to a slow start while the jags came out sharp and on point. Almost pulled off a " comeback" but a good play by Edreece Brown spoiled that ending.

We feel confident this year. Not that we think less of the jaguars, but the GMEN will successfully defend our championship with a perfect 11-0 record.

Good Analyses

The Jags aren't conceding anything. The winner of that game will undoubtably be the best team in the SWAC.

This will be a hard fought battle, classic of classics. I'm sure glad I'll be there to witness this history making contest.

The BC the only Big time Classic, where the stars come out....

Go Jags Go....

To the victor go the spoils.

Since the D1AA palyoffs have been pushed back, the loser of this game will be eligible for the playoffs. Good luck Jags, represent the SWAC well in the 1AA playoffs!

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Since the D1AA palyoffs have been pushed back, the loser of this game will be eligible for the playoffs. Good luck Jags, represent the SWAC well in the 1AA playoffs!

How magnanimous! But we will take the win in the Bayou Classic thank you very much. Which is our choice (phooey on the playoffs) every year, remember?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Jaguar fever is all over NO

Throughout the city and on the interstate SU flags are flying already on car windows. Spirit is high. Folks are wearing their blue and gold every day. The conversation is the same, do you have your tickets?

Uptown at Tulane and on the radio things are very quiet. Expecially on WWL Radio with corey johnson, who announced that Tulane would score every time they had the ball on SU. This announcer had Tulane beating BYU, Central Florida, & SU while losing to LSU and East Carolina on their way to a bowl game. So far he has only been correct with LSU & ECU which was a no brainer.

This will definitely be a SU homecoming.

Times Picayune has stated that 32,000 tickets have been sold as
of Monday.

:rolleyes:

My only concern about this game is, what conference will supply the officiating crew. Personnel wise, I think SU will match TU man for man, except in the kicking game.

With NWST defeating TCU last week, that hurt CUSA more than the losses TU has suffered, as well as the losses to Nebraska by TCU, and Illinois by Louisville. I don't think the Conference can take another loss to a D-IAA team, no matter if TU is 0-4.

If TU was to lose to SU, coupled with the aforementioned loss by TCU, their power rankings will be *****ed up, which means their bowl chances will be slimmer than what they were, especially seeing that they had 3 bowl contenders last year.

Look for the officials to make some shakey calls if the game is close coming down the wire, 'L' look for shakey calls period.

If the game is called fairly, look for SU to pull off the upset.

NICE

Forgive me for what I'm about to say! At the risk of sounding like someone who believes "the white man's ice is colder", in some ways SU might be better off with CUSA officials. The reason I say this is because of past experiences I have had with "my own kind" when calling games against teams made up of those "other" races. It seems like the "brothers" go out of the way to show that they are not prejudiced towards us. They get so caught up in proving their fairness that they overscrutinize and over officiate.

A good officiating team should be almost invisible. They establish what is acceptable early and let the players play. I hate taking that approach, it really hurts to go out there like that...but I'm sure some of you have the same fears/concerns.

MikeB!

You're on point with that! I agree with you 100% on the officiating crews with the "token" brother. Ticks me off every time he makes a drive-killing "no-call".

Back