Tulame Rips Southern For First Victory

KKPSIHH

41-7 It wasn't even competative.

There "lame" running back broke several records with over 200 yards rushing.

There "lame" QB also broke a few records. Too much isht talked and look what happened. The stadium was damn near empty after the third quarter. I sat and laughed the whole 4th quarter.

If ther're "Tulame" then what does that make you?

"SUperpathetic"

Way to represent the SWAC!:emlaugh:

i Was there - It was competitive

The game was competitive. The defense held it's own. The game was lost by the offense. The inability to run the football again was the achilles heel for the Jaguars. Tulane took away the pass and dared the Jaguars to run.

The fact is we still don''t have an established running game. As long as we are one dimensional, good teams will beat us. They nickled us to death on defense. At times I saw Devin Lewis tripled covered.

To depend on Levy to consistently carry the offense on his arm is unrealistic. But if that is all you have then you dance with the one who brung you.

On the after game show I heard a caller question Richardson strategy and also state he should have pulled Levy. I don't believe we have anyone on the bench ready to replace Levy.
The talk show host stated that richardson had been outcoached.

I saw interceptions and fumbles that led to the defeat of the jaguars. Not one time did I see Richardson throw one pass or fumble the ball.

SU will win some more games, Tulane was not a conference game, good pay day, good learning experience , but not a SWAC game.

I wonder if LSU coach Saban was out coached by Tenneesse last night? Any broadcaster who would say such would be fired before he left the broadcasting booth.

This is my opnion, and you know what opinions are worth. Everyone has one.

Originally posted by KKPSIHH
41-7 It wasn't even competative.

There "lame" running back broke several records with over 200 yards rushing.

There "lame" QB also broke a few records. Too much isht talked and look what happened. The stadium was damn near empty after the third quarter. I sat and laughed the whole 4th quarter.

If ther're "Tulame" then what does that make you?

"SUperpathetic"

Way to represent the SWAC!:emlaugh:

well this should be on the smack..but since you brought it up.
ripped is not anybody with knowledge of sports we or should i say the offense give up 5 turnover at thewrong time 4 within tulanes 10 yardline when we were about to score.
there was no domination such self hunmiliation but we've been beaten worse by our own SWAC teams.
after all said and done that's what really counts our SWAC not that it wouldn't have been great to win but in the big picture tulane means nothing but bragging rights nothing more.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers! That's what killed SU. I had the good fortune of watching most of the game on MBC and that's what I saw. SU's offense was good enough to drive on Tulane, but would give it up a half inch before the endzone. In some cases I think Levy was trying to do too much. SU's defense also was not getting good pressure on the QB and they were hitting wth quick screens that were going for long yardage. But all in all, SU was definitely in this game, just a few big plays took them out of it.

BENGAL E
E, you're being too kind man. SU got plain-old embarrassed. They wanted Tulane and they got them. They got all of them.

SU may have gotten outcoached. With SWAC coaches that's highly probable. Everyone knows that we have D1-A talent and DIII coaching. Tha's why the two almost cancel each other out and we end up in D1-AA. In the SWAC, we win despite our coaches.

41-9. That's a blowout no matter how you look at it.:mad:

Originally posted by BIGCAT3000
SU may have gotten outcoached. With SWAC coaches that's highly probable. Everyone knows that we have D1-A talent and DIII coaching. Tha's why the two almost cancel each other out and we end up in D1-AA. In the SWAC, we win despite our coaches.

41-9. That's a blowout no matter how you look at it.:mad:

Preach my brotha, preach!!! You are right on point!

I watched the game on TV. Did Southern have more fans in the
Superdome than Tulane? The game drew only 41,319 fans.
The Jackson State/Southern game drew about 50,000 in the
Superdome last year. What does that tell you?

For a 1-AA to lose to a 1-A program is not embarrassing. What is disappointing is losing the way we did. SU is a much better team then what final score indicated. Take away the turnover and untimely penalties, and if we had scored points in redzone it is a close game. Regardless who we played Saturday, if SU made the same mistakes we would have lost. If the same thing happen in Jackson or Tallahassee the score probably be more embarrassing. That being said, I am proud of effort the team gave. They want it bad and I think Bengal E is right. They may have want it too bad, was pressing, trying to do too much, and lost focus after Landry was ejected from the game. Tulane is history it is SWAC time. However, for those that want to paint a distorted picture of what occurred in the Tulane game, this article by Da white man sum it up.

Southern is undone by untimely miscues
Turnovers, penalties slow Jaguars' attack
09/30/01
By Marty Mul?

Staff writer/The Times-Picayune
Terrence Levy reflected, then said, "Those kinds of things are momentum-setters, and we really gave them a lot of momentum."

The Southern quarterback was discussing his team's turnovers and untimely penalties in Tulane's 41-7 decimation of the Jaguars on Saturday at the Superdome. In the first game Southern has played against a Division I-A team, the momentum almost hand-delivered to the Green Wave prevented a respectable showing by the Division I-AA Jaguars.

Southern had plenty of chances to slice into the Wave's 24-7 halftime margin.

Twice, Levy drove his team inside the Green Wave 5 only to lose the ball twice on fumbles.

Also, on a promising second-quarter drive, a crucial pass-interference call went against Southern and eventually led to a Tulane touchdown.
"We didn't help ourselves in those situations," said Levy, who also was intercepted twice. "We really hurt ourselves."

The interference call clearly caused a change in momentum. With the Wave ahead 14-7 in the second quarter, Levy moved the Jags from their own 16 to the Tulane 31. After a penalty and sack, Levy passed to Devin Lewis down the sideline, where he and defensive back Jeff Sanchez bumped inside the 10. A flag flew, and seconds later Lewis began beating the ground when the official indicated the call was going against the offense.

"It wasn't offensive interference," Lewis said. "His (Sanchez's) back was turned, and I kind of swung to get to it. I just think it was a bad decision." Levy said, "Look, I'm a player. I don't make calls, and I'm usually not in the best position to do that. But on this one, I just don't think I would have called that one against the offensive player."

That penalty pushed Southern back to the Wave 46, where the Jags punted. On the ensuing drive, Tulane went 81 yards, aided by four personal-foul penalties against Southern, for a touchdown to get some breathing room.

Levy, a statistical thorn in the skin of the Green Wave defense with 206 passing yards, and the Jags' leading rusher with 78 yards, couldn't quite lift the visitors back into the game. With the score 31-7, Levy got his team to the Tulane 6, where he fumbled the ball away. After Tulane scored again, Levy led the Jags back to the Wave 1-yard line, where Jeremy Williams fumbled -- and again Tulane recovered.

Originally posted by TBone2
I watched the game on TV. Did Southern have more fans in the
Superdome than Tulane? The game drew only 41,319 fans.
The Jackson State/Southern game drew about 50,000 in the
Superdome last year. What does that tell you?

That tells me Southern doesn't have the FAN SUPPORT that they
once had.

PAPA
That just confirms my statement about D1-A talent and DIII coaching. We lack the discipline, oftentimes, to put up a good showing against D1-A teams. They play a more fundamentally sound game than we do. It's frequently the same when we play 1-AA PWC's.
Our coaches typically don't teach fundamentals. Maybe that's because they don't KNOW fundamentals. I don't know why our players commit so many infractions, can't hold on to the ball and don't make good decisions with the ball. It's a mystery to me.
You can't beat good teams on talent alone. This is exactly why JSU has not won the big games lately. Whether it's talent and no coaching or coaching and no talent, the end result is still a mediocre team.

This is the current state of HBCU's.

Tigger2 and TBone2:

Of the 41,319 in attendance, I would estimate that approximately 30,000 to 32,000 were SU fans. Our fan base is the reason Tulane scheduled this game in the first place. There is not another SWAC team Tulane would have scheduled. Tulane averages only about 8,000 to 15,000 fannies-in-the seat, depending on who they're playing. Tulane was looking for fans and they got fans---some 32,000 of them. Their president said after the game that he wanted to continue the series indefinitely. This was the largest attended Tulane home game since Alabama visited in 1992 and drew 50,000 fans.

Originally posted by Tigger2

That tells me Southern doesn't have the FAN SUPPORT that they
once had.

WHAT? Must you attack SU on every front? The hate is deep and wide. Okay, let me tell you what the 41,000 attendance meant as regards Southern's fan support. Tulane had a game the weekend before and that attendance was about 17, 400. (somebody will undoubtedly correct me and give the EXACT number) They average less than 20,000 in attendance at every home game. Last year, one game had only 8,000 people and they had GIVEN away tickets to high school kids you didn't bother to come. So Southern's FAN SUPPORT boosted their home attendance to more than 41,000.

Now, there were more people at the Southern-Jackson State game because, DUH, Jackson State has a strong FAN SUPPORT base!! The J-Staters bring their fans and that very much accounts for LARGER attendance for that game. It is not a reflection on a diminished FAN SUUPORT for Southern.

Your analysis is flawed.

Congratulations

Originally posted by KKPSIHH
Guess what,

You still got your arse whooped!:D

I was there, I don't have to guess. But my astuteness tells me that, from your comment, you can read!

Re: Congratulations

Originally posted by Seeing Spots

I was there, I don't have to guess. But my astuteness tells me that, from your comment, you can read!

Seeing Spots , you're smacking, even if it's just the sports page. Practice makes perfect...

BTW, no worry yourself with the hatas, they will destroy themselves from within.

Seeing Spots - guess again

APB didn't whip that SU a _ _.

And because of that lost in the mud bowl you guys ain't going to Birmingham.

Now hate on that.:emlaugh:

Re: Re: Congratulations

Originally posted by Timbuktu Jag

Seeing Spots , you're smacking, even if it's just the sports page. Practice makes perfect...

BTW, no worry yourself with the hatas, they will destroy themselves from within.

K

but it was not smack, it was analytical, logical, sequential thought process:emlaugh:

Originally posted by Bengal E
SU's defense also was not getting good pressure on the QB and they were hitting wth quick screens that were going for long yardage.

Huh?????? I guess you missed the FIVE sacks Ramsey took at the hands of the DEFENSE. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BIGCAT3000
PAPA
That just confirms my statement about D1-A talent and DIII coaching. We lack the discipline, oftentimes, to put up a good showing against D1-A teams. They play a more fundamentally sound game than we do. It's frequently the same when we play 1-AA PWC's.
Our coaches typically don't teach fundamentals. Maybe that's because they don't KNOW fundamentals. I don't know why our players commit so many infractions, can't hold on to the ball and don't make good decisions with the ball. It's a mystery to me.
You can't beat good teams on talent alone. This is exactly why JSU has not won the big games lately. Whether it's talent and no coaching or coaching and no talent, the end result is still a mediocre team.

This is the current state of HBCU's.

It is quite apparent that you did not see this ball game. Grambling beat Portland State, FAMU has won a couple of playoff games, A&T lambasted Elon this year and Southern U. leads the series against NWST and JState played a respectable game against S.Miss a few years back. A lot of PWC choose to schedule weaker HBCU programs hence the blowouts. The final scores was not indicative of how the game was contested. Southern loss is mainly attributed to self inflicted turnovers but the officials set the tempo of the game early with bad spots and questionable calls including the offensive assinine pass interference calls in additon to blantant no calls of holding. Even though we shot ourselves in the foot we did receive a modest dose of home cooking. I think that next year the Jags will play a better ball game. Execution was a problem but it is not the trade mark of Pete teams;Discipline is a trademark. Tulanes talent was not heads and shoulders above S.U's. The coach can have an excellent game plan but if the players do not execute and make untimely turnovers you will lose. With the errors S.U. made Saturday many HBCU'S would have thumped us. One thing for certain another trademark of Pete's team is character and you can rest assure that we will be back and gunning for the SCG title....Peace

Back