TSU/PV, what was/is marketing like for the LDC???

Panther88

Banned
1. How long ago did it start (radio, TV, newspaper, etc.)??
2. How frequent was it (daily, 2-days, etc.)?
3. Do you think it'll do better than recent previous years attendance?

I've noticed a somewhat dramatical decrease in attendance. It doesn't surprise me that peeps of color are attending the uh/rice bayou bucket dealio. That game could be awfully, awfully huge if marketed correctly.

Excellent question. :confused:

I wish each school had their OWN promoters. Walsh is making a killing on the GSU-PV deal. One game a year and he can retire for the remainder of the year.

The TSU vs. PVU game no longer has a promoter. Over the last year or two the schools have done their on marketing. It has been advertised on the local radio both hip/hop and R&B station as well as the local sports radio station. I have seen the PVU with the posters for the game, but I have not scene them around town, but I also have not been around the city that much as well.

I think with the Texans and Bayou Bucket Classic that and still playing in the old dome that we will not have the attendance number at the gate as well as PV not winning the game in about 17 years is not helping.

I really have a marketing idea that I would like to look into for the game, but I am holding on tight to it for awhile.

The Labor Day Classic game has seen a drop in attendance over the last few years. Last year's game attendance was about 27,000 down from the mid 30K a few years earlier. I think the drop in attendance has nothing to do with the Texans nor the Rice/UH game. Houston is a big city with many things to do and it comes down to people choosing to engage in the entertainment that they will benefit the most. For true football fans with the exception of last year want to see a competitive game. TSU only beat PV 17-0. In the previous years TSU has beaten PV by a huge margin and by halftime the game is so far out of reach that the fans are bored. Then you have non-football fans that will attend the game because they want to see the bands perform and after halftime they leave or walk around. Lastly, you have the ones who want to come out to the game and mack on the honies. I strongly believe that this year the game will draw 30,000 due to the competitive nature of last year's game. 30,000 is not too bad for a game in a big city and knowing who the winner is going to be because TSU has dominated the Classic.

There are so many people that think that black people are going to come out to the games because TSU/PV are predominantly black schools. There are so many black people that live in Houston that are not affliliated with either school and they are not likely to attend a game. In addition this is a 4 day weekend for many and there are many that choose to go out of town.

I think that this game does not need a promoter because this is the 18th Labor Day Classic and everyone knows that this game occurs at this time. Not having a promoter the schools can keep the money for themselves.

TSU has advertised this game heavily this year with ticket giveaways on a very popular Hip hop/R&B staion (97.9), in additon to KTSU and R&B 102FM.

Originally posted by mhurd97

I think that this game does not need a promoter because this is the 18th Labor Day Classic and everyone knows that this game occurs at this time. Not having a promoter the schools can keep the money for themselves.

THAT IS WHERE YOU ARE WRONG. SOMEONE NEEDS TO HAVE THIS GAME ON THEIR MINDS ALL THE TIME. I DOUBT THAT THE SCHOOLS HAVE THE OFFICALS THINKING THAT WAY. IF YOU THINK NOT HAVING A PROMOTER IS IMPORTANT, ASK PV WHY THEY WERE WILL TO DEFY THE SWAC TO PERFORM AT THE STATEFAIR CLASSIC, AFTER THE BAND FIGHT. THE BAND PAY DAY WAS MORE THAN SOME FOOTBALL TEAMS CLASSIC PAYDAY. AL WALSH MAKES MONEY FOR THE TEAM AND THE BANDS. PLUS HE PROMOTES OTHER THINGS AS WELL. COMPANIES ARE CONFORTABLE WITH HIM AND TRUST HIM. THEREFORE THEY KEEP COMING BACK BECAUSE THEY HAVE A MARKETABLE PRODUCE TO ASSOCIATE WITH.

State Farm is the promoter. They jumped on at the last minute.

However, the game has dropped since it moved inside the Astrodome. For band people, you can't hear anything in it anymore and the parking fee has been another reason why some people stay away.

I prefer it on a Sunday night when there is nothing to compete against. More people are home on Sundays and since they are off on Monday why not come to the game?

Back