Transfers/Students who treat 4-Year HBCUs like JUCOs.

BRAVEHEART123

The Clown Prince of Crime
Have a friend's neice who entered Alcorn State University the Fall of 2008. Neice was a SUPERB student and ended the sophomore year with a 3.73 GPA at Alcorn. Start of her Junior Year, she decides she wants to transfer to USM thus treating Alcorn like a JUCO. Go for two years and for her "real" classes up in her major, transfer to another school and ultimatly graduating from that school while hurting Alcorn in the process by not getting her degree from there. I feel that transfers are becoming a major problem for HBCUs because they are not getting their degree from the institution. I hope some of you follow what I'm saying. They are treating the HBCUs like JUCOs except they do get a degree for the two years they are at the HBCU.

Hate to kill your theory, but 8 of the top 15 schools that graduate the most amount of African Americans in the country are HBCU(s).

BH,
A lot of times people lose credits when they transfer so it would make no sense to do what you are saying.

Last edited:
People do what they do for various reasons. It is not always a HBCU/PWC thing.

Here in Georgia, I've known people who have transferred from UGA to Kennesaw State, from Georgia Tech to Southern Polytechnic, from Valdosta State to Georgia State, and so on. Some people transfer due to finances. Others transfer due to proximity to home or work. Others transfer simply because they no longer wish to be at their first school.

I think the reason your friend's niece transferred to USM from Alcorn is probably not as black school/white school driven as you may think. For all we know, she could have hated Alcorn from the moment she got there and may have tried her best to stick it out before deciding to leave. USM also could have been where she really wanted to go in the first place. Some people have to deal with a lot of issues when choosing a college or choosing to stay at a college (family pressure, finances, etc.). I highly doubt that she was looking to "treat it like a JUCO".

Have a friend's neice who entered Alcorn State University the Fall of 2008. Neice was a SUPERB student and ended the sophomore year with a 3.73 GPA at Alcorn. Start of her Junior Year, she decides she wants to transfer to USM thus treating Alcorn like a JUCO. Go for two years and for her "real" classes up in her major, transfer to another school and ultimatly graduating from that school while hurting Alcorn in the process by not getting her degree from there. I feel that transfers are becoming a major problem for HBCUs because they are not getting their degree from the institution. I hope some of you follow what I'm saying. They are treating the HBCUs like JUCOs except they do get a degree for the two years they are at the HBCU.

Question...what was her major?

I had a friend also do the same thing at JSU, but later transferred to BC. She got her core classes accomplished in 2 years and transferred because at the time JSU was not offering a degree in her area.

There are many reasons why students transfer and are not purposely trying to hurt HBCUs.

Question...what was her major?

I had a friend also do the same thing at JSU, but later transferred to BC. She got her core classes accomplished in 2 years and transferred because at the time JSU was not offering a degree in her area.

There are many reasons why students transfer and are not purposely trying to hurt HBCUs.

Before JSU's Engineering program was accredited, people were dipping to FAMU their senior year often.

This is not just happening at HBCU's.

It happens at a lot of Colleges and Universities around the country. Some people can't get into their first choice straight out of high school and use getting into other schools as a stepping stone to the school they wanted to go to all along.

I can only speak for PV, but I haven't really seen this happen enough to be alarmed by it. Texas has always had several JUCOs/ Community Colleges so most people who can't get into the school of their choice initially, choose to go to go that route. It is alot cheaper than attending a university.

if anything in Texas....the suburban community colleges hurt us on the front end the kid you may have gotten now goes there and you may not get them on the back end....if you can get them at least for 2 years you got something out of it...

Back