Tough OOC Schedules

Earle

Does playing a tough OOC schedule really help prepare a team for the conference season ahead? If not, why play them other than for the money games? AAMU played perhaps the weakest OOC football schedule this season, and SU, BAMA ST, and GSU, probably the toughest. Did the weak OOC schedule hurt AAMU? Did the tough OOC help SU, BAMA ST, or GSU?

Last edited:
Does playing a tough OOC schedule really help prepare a team for the conference season ahead? If not, why play them other than for the money games? AAMU played perhaps the weakest OOC football schedule this season, and SU, BAMA ST, and GSU, probably the toughst. Did the weak OOC schedule hurt AAMU? Did the tough OOC help SU, BAMA ST, or GSU?

One has to be very careful with playing too many tough games because attrition can kick in. I remember Coach Richardson complaining about too many high caliber games that would have an adverse effect on having a healthy team come conference time......Now on the other side of the coin (slight digression), too many weak games can have a negative effect on attendance. In terms of team preparation, an excessive weak schedule will not show flaws to get a team ready for the conference run and a more balance schedule will do just the opposite (IMHO).

I don't know about tough but it's deceiving. Aamu played Morehouse and won by 6 i believe, Morehouse played Edward Waters won by 6 i believe, we played Edward Waters won by 61 lol, couple of weeks ago we played Aamu won by 4 SMH.

It depends on the team

Most people looked at our first three games and thought 3 blowouts but those should have been 3 wins. I just wished for one year we could have an early September cupcake instead of going 0-3 to 0-5 before reaching Homecoming to play one (IF we play one)

No one should have a VUL or Edwards Waters AND a D2-D3 team on their schedule

I don't know about tough but it's deceiving. Aamu played Morehouse and won by 6 i believe, Morehouse played Edward Waters won by 6 i believe, we played Edward Waters won by 61 lol, couple of weeks ago we played Aamu won by 4 SMH.

That's why it's silly to compare outcomes

Although SU had VUL and Edward Waters on the schedule this season, SU also played 12 games as opposed to the 11 games played by Alcorn, MVSU, AAMU and some others. In addition to VUL and Waters, SU also played McNeese, Memphis, and FAMU.

Although SU had VUL and Edward Waters on the schedule this season, SU also played 12 games as opposed to the 11 games played by Alcorn, MVSU, AAMU and some others. In addition to VUL and Waters, SU also played McNeese, Memphis, and FAMU.
AAMU is playing 12 games this year. We are 6-4 and still have two games to play.

looks like we just balanced out our OOC schedule like the rest of yall been doing over the years playing certified cupcakes! just check the previous OOC schedules and who the rest of the conference been playing over the years..alot of you should be ashamed of your ADs lol

Last edited:
One D11 school only. No schools below the DII level. If I had a 4 game OOC schedule. I would schedule 1 DII, 1 FBS (Not BCS), and two decent FCS programs. Edward Waters and VUL have no business being on anyone schedule in the SWAC.

I've said that this is the formal SWAC schools should have used in the 7 game mandate

Since we are going to eight next year, I think this might make things lean for VUL in the immediate future as far as playing SWAC schools because we know Southern, PV, AAMU and ASU I believe already have their 2020 schedules done without VUL on it (Edward Waters is moving up to D2)

With the 8 game mandate, it should be no more than one FBS school (no P5), one FCS school and no more than 1 sub D1 school. Two (or even 3) FCS schools would be preferred though

Last edited:
It looks like PVAMU will be using the formula of 2 FCS and 1 FBS schools for the next few years. They do have 2 FBS & 1 FCS school scheduled in 2020. 1 FBS and 2 FCS schools in 2021 and right now they have 2 FCS schools scheduled thru 2023.

The 8 game Swac schedule is almost perfect for schools to use with their scheduling if they do it right. There should be no OOC conference schools playing each other in the future. But we know how some schools are.....

Define tough?

GSU tough schdeule????? ULM and Tech. Not much to any travel.

I hate money games with Power 5 FBS schools. As HBCUs we need to get back to our roots and promote classics. In my opinion there is absolutely no reason that GSU, SU, NCA&T, FAMU, and a few other should not have at least 1 top 25 FCS program on their schedule a year. No excuse.

Does playing a tough OOC schedule really help prepare a team for the conference season ahead? If not, why play them other than for the money games? AAMU played perhaps the weakest OOC football schedule this season, and SU, BAMA ST, and GSU, probably the toughest. Did the weak OOC schedule hurt AAMU? Did the tough OOC help SU, BAMA ST, or GSU?

If you don't have the talent/coaching, playing a tough OOC schedule is a no brainier.

Playing Fbs games that are not winnable do nothing for Us. I can understand fcs games that are winnable.

Watch the difference between this year Gram team and next year's team who has a better schedule that won't kill Us early.

Playing Fbs games that are not winnable do nothing for Us. I can understand fcs games that are winnable.

Watch the difference between this year Gram team and next year's team who has a better schedule that won't kill Us early.

i‘ve been telling my Bama State peeps this for years. It does nothing to improve our program.

Playing FBS ganes that are not winnable bring in revenue that cannot be earned through alternative efforts

Playing FBS ganes that are not winnable bring in revenue that cannot be earned through alternative efforts

That is the only "positive" concerning these games. The student athletes at our schools also wanna test themselves against the "superior" FBS programs

Within the next 3-5 years, these games will start to diminish because you can read the tea leaves as far as these P5 schools will start playing each other in OOC games and then the G5 schools. We need to start finding alternatives ahead of time (a SWAC-MEAC challenge for all the schools, etc.)

One D11 school only. No schools below the DII level. If I had a 4 game OOC schedule. I would schedule 1 DII, 1 FBS (Not BCS), and two decent FCS programs. Edward Waters and VUL have no business being on anyone schedule in the SWAC.

Thank you. Cough* SUcks smh 4-4 assess

We can't keep sacrificing our kids do these meaningless games. Money is one thing but losing these games kills team morale.

I'll be watching the big difference in Our season next year as we have actual competitive games on the early side of the schedule. We can still make money without sacrificing Our kids against the Oklahoma States of the world.

Back