Tony Moss can be right sometimes Pt III

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
Alabama A&M (4-2) at No. 18 Southern (5-0), 7:00

For those of you not acquainted with black college football, please note that it is No. 18 Southern, not No. 13 Bethune-Cookman or No. 16 Grambling State, that currently tops the polls of the historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs). The Jaguars have rolled through their first five games, and come into this week?s showdown with Southern as the nation?s number one team in scoring defense (8.0 points per game) and number two unit in scoring offense (42.8 points per game). A victory against a quality Alabama A&M team would keep the pressure on GSU both in the polls and the SWAC Western division title hunt.

Southern has been led all season by the consistently strong play of its quarterback, Quincy Richard (1189 yards, 12 TD, 2 INT, 3 rushing TD). Richard is completing an outstanding 69 percent of his passes, and has not thrown a pick since August. Wideout Alfred Ard (18 receptions, 3 TD) has been Richard?s number one target, catching a trio of passes for 66 yards in last week?s 53-7 dismantling of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. A defense that was playing without injured linebacker Tarus Morgan (expected to return this week) still managed to overpower the Golden Lions, with cornerback Lenny Williams posting six tackles, a fumble recovery, and a 98-yard interception return for a touchdown. Pete Richardson?s team has intercepted 11 passes this year, and ranks third in I-AA pass efficiency defense (80.98).

That the Jaguars have allowed just three passing touchdowns this season should pose no concern for Alabama A&M, which has ridden its running game toward a 4-2 start. The Bulldogs have outscored their last three opponents, the weak trio of Mississippi Valley State, Prairie View, and Texas Southern, by a composite of 150-10. Running back Jeremiah Bonds (105 yards per game) leads the SWAC in rushing, though he has been limited to just 65 yards on 20 carries over the past three weeks. That has meant more opportunities for quarterback Johnny Keith (18-29 passing in two weeks), who appears to have won the full-time starting QB job entering this week. A defense that currently ranks 11th in I-AA (263 yards per game) will need a continued strong effort from players like defensive end Lieutenant Dukes, who has 5.5 sacks over his past four games.

Alabama A&M is red-hot and represents Southern?s stiffest challenge to date, but I just can?t get that 45-14 loss to Grambling State earlier this year out of my head. The Bulldogs are a nice team that will challenge for the SWAC Eastern division crown, but all appearances are that the Jaguars are in another class entirely. Pete Richardson?s team has been dominant on both sides of the ball, and I see their winning ways continuing in front of a friendly home crowd this week. Southern by double digits.

Originally posted by bluedog
Alabama A&M (4-2) at No. 18 Southern (5-0), 7:00

For those of you not acquainted with black college football, please note that it is No. 18 Southern, not No. 13 Bethune-Cookman or No. 16 Grambling State, that currently tops the polls of the historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs). The Jaguars have rolled through their first five games, and come into this week?s showdown with Southern as the nation?s number one team in scoring defense (8.0 points per game) and number two unit in scoring offense (42.8 points per game). A victory against a quality Alabama A&M team would keep the pressure on GSU both in the polls and the SWAC Western division title hunt.

Southern has been led all season by the consistently strong play of its quarterback, Quincy Richard (1189 yards, 12 TD, 2 INT, 3 rushing TD). Richard is completing an outstanding 69 percent of his passes, and has not thrown a pick since August. Wideout Alfred Ard (18 receptions, 3 TD) has been Richard?s number one target, catching a trio of passes for 66 yards in last week?s 53-7 dismantling of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. A defense that was playing without injured linebacker Tarus Morgan (expected to return this week) still managed to overpower the Golden Lions, with cornerback Lenny Williams posting six tackles, a fumble recovery, and a 98-yard interception return for a touchdown. Pete Richardson?s team has intercepted 11 passes this year, and ranks third in I-AA pass efficiency defense (80.98).

That the Jaguars have allowed just three passing touchdowns this season should pose no concern for Alabama A&M, which has ridden its running game toward a 4-2 start. The Bulldogs have outscored their last three opponents, the weak trio of Mississippi Valley State, Prairie View, and Texas Southern, by a composite of 150-10. Running back Jeremiah Bonds (105 yards per game) leads the SWAC in rushing, though he has been limited to just 65 yards on 20 carries over the past three weeks. That has meant more opportunities for quarterback Johnny Keith (18-29 passing in two weeks), who appears to have won the full-time starting QB job entering this week. A defense that currently ranks 11th in I-AA (263 yards per game) will need a continued strong effort from players like defensive end Lieutenant Dukes, who has 5.5 sacks over his past four games.

Alabama A&M is red-hot and represents Southern?s stiffest challenge to date, but I just can?t get that 45-14 loss to Grambling State earlier this year out of my head. The Bulldogs are a nice team that will challenge for the SWAC Eastern division crown, but all appearances are that the Jaguars are in another class entirely. Pete Richardson?s team has been dominant on both sides of the ball, and I see their winning ways continuing in front of a friendly home crowd this week. Southern by double digits.

:nod:

Serious question:

Do you SU fans feel pressure to defeat A&M by a similar margin to what Grambling had? Are comparative scores important in guaging teams? Personally, I don't think so because different teams matchup differently and the GSU/A&M game was several weeks ago. However, it's something to think about!

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Serious question:

Do you SU fans feel pressure to defeat A&M by a similar margin to what Grambling had? Are comparative scores important in guaging teams? Personally, I don't think so because different teams matchup differently and the GSU/A&M game was several weeks ago. However, it's something to think about!

Why would we as fans feel pressure to defeat A&M by a similar margin to what grambling had? We just want to beat em, and beat em bad. Grambling has naything to do with it...but hey, this is ONE fan/alumnus speaking for herself.

btw Mike, how are you? :wavey:

Serious question:

"Flipping the Script,"

Did Doug feel pressure to beat P.V. by the same margin as S.U.? I was wondering why he kept the starters in for so long against them.

Originally posted by JROCK
"Flipping the Script,"

Did Doug feel pressure to beat P.V. by the same margin as S.U.? I was wondering why he kept the starters in for so long against them.
Actually, our starting WRs didn't play at all. Bruce played alot though. I think Doug wanted the backup WRs to get use to the way Bruce throws the ball so hard. Our backup QB doesn't have that kind of velocity. It turned out good. They seemed to get some good reps. Also, we practiced on our running game. You know we don't do that. We even got 300 yards rushing.

I honestly don't think Coaches are as concerned about "matching" other teams. Fans follow this more because it's used for debates and smack talk. Most coaches are aware that comparative scores mean absolutely nothing. Different teams matchup differently based on style of play, play calling, etc. I was just curious as to the fans perspective.

As a former player, we never really was concerned with how a rival did against a particular team. Once we lined up across from that rival, all past games went out the window. What prompted the question was the fact that my older sister (Grambling) and brother (Jag) who both never played football, argue all the time about who beat who worse than the other. I keep telling them it doesn't matter, but those two are always at each other about the Gmen and Jags.

Originally posted by GRAM4LIFE
Actually, our starting WRs didn't play at all. Bruce played alot though. I think Doug wanted the backup WRs to get use to the way Bruce throws the ball so hard. Our backup QB doesn't have that kind of velocity. It turned out good. They seemed to get some good reps. Also, we practiced on our running game. You know we don't do that. We even got 300 yards rushing.

Damn dawg i guess we didn't wacth the game at all huh?

Well, I guess y'all are three points better than us then.....we've only had one common opponent so far....two more this week.....

Originally posted by bluedog
Damn dawg i guess we didn't wacth the game at all huh?

I guess not...the only one that started was Mose Harris #9. Tim Abney (#80), Chris Day (#81) and Adrian Sezar (#83) are backup receivers.

I think I heard them mention Colquitt (#6) but he wasn't in long due to a hamstring. Colquitt, Tramon, and Harris are the starters. The others are good enuff to start anywhere else...in fact Day was a starter for Troy State last year.

I keep telling them it doesn't matter, but those two are always at each other about the Gmen and Jags.
Boy you are full of it!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by Seeing Spots
Boy you are full of it!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No, Boo! The game always matters...I was talking about the scores against common opponents!

Back