Tony Hughes is keeping his job.

It would have only been noteworthy News if Mike Leach had not retained Coach Hughes.

So it looks like Tony Hughes staying on MSU staff is a charity case. "If ole tony is let go Mike it would break his heart...he loves the program Mike..please retain him"

Coach Hughes is well known for his recruiting prowess in MS for the PWI where he has been employed over many years. I even remember reading where Dan Mullins once said he was often reluctant to go into one of his highly recruited Players homes without Hughes being there with him. Also, when an AD temporarily elevates a guy to interim HC it wouldn't be a good look for the new guy to come in and release him! LOL!!

Seriously doubt it was Leach's decision. He doesn't need Tony Hughes for his offense. He needs a strong defense and coaches used to recruiting and coaching defense in the SEC. However, Leach let the entire defensive staff go including two Mississippi natives who have deep ties in Mississippi (letting one go to ole miss) and hired a DC with no P5 experience and no ties to the MSUs recruiting base.

I don't think Leach has any special affinity for anyone that was on the previous staff. I think Tony Hughes stays at State because somebody higher up is in his corner. Either the AD or school President. Or both.
TOny Hughes is MSU version off Derrick McCall.

Back