Today's MLB Draft

Anonymous

SOUTHERN?S FRED LEWIS GOES IN 2nd ROUND OF MLB DRAFT TO SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

BATON-ROUGE, LA ? Southern University baseball left-fielder, Fred Lewis, has been drafted in the second round of the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft. Lewis was selected 66th overall by the San Francisco Giants.

?This is a tremendous opportunity for Fred. We are extremely proud for him and what he has been able to accomplish in a short time here?, says Southern University head baseball coach Roger Cador.

?This young man came in to Southern and worked extremely hard, and the San Francisco Giants recognized that. He has improved greatly in some of the areas of his game that he needed to, and it has paid off. He came to us as a great two-sport athlete (football/baseball), but chose to concentrate on baseball.?

The junior outfielder transferred to Southern University after playing two seasons at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

?My hat goes off to my two assistants for getting him here. Barrett (Rey) and Arnold (Brathwaite) did a tremendous job of recruiting him and helping him to to this point in his career?, adds Cador.

Lewis (6-2, 180, L/R), a Wiggins, MS native hit .406 for the Jaguars in 2002, third on the team, behind 1st Team All-American Rickie Weeks, and 3rd team All-American, Antoin Gray. Lewis was also 3rd on the team in hits (71), tied for 1st in stolen bases (14), 3rd in total bases (109), 4th in runs scored (54) and was 4th in slugging percentage (.661).

Lewis was named to the second team all-SWAC team in 2002, and was a member of the 2002 SWAC Tournament All-Tourney Team.

?This is another outstanding boost to our program. With Michael Woods going as a 1st round sandwich pick last season, and now Fred Lewis in the second round, and the potential for Rickie Weeks to be the number one pick in next season?s draft, goes to show you we have a well established baseball program here at Southern.?

Others....
Jackson State pitcher, Anthony Pearson, 5th round to Montreal Expos..... Also the #2 pick in this year's draft is a black kid from the Chesapeake, VA area, being compared to Derek Jeter....

Congrats to Fred, Coach Cador and the Baseball team. This is just another step to helping to take HBCU baseball to another level. It may not be a giant step, but it is another step.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
J-State outfielder Micheal Goss drafted in the 11th Round.

Huge blow to the football team if he decides go pro. Led the SWAC in yardage per kick-off return (if I'm not mistaken.) Also would have started at slot. Tigers have capable replacements at receiver but someone will have to step it up on KO returns.

Goss had stated earlier that he may opt to remain at JSU if not chosen high enough in the draft. We shall see.

Jackson State's Pearson gets call from Expos

Anthony Pearson has played his last game in a Jackson State uniform.

The junior pitcher was the first Mississippi collegian selected Tuesday in Major League Baseball's amateur draft, going in the fifth round, 137th overall, to the Montreal Expos.

"I'm real excited about it," Pearson said via phone from his parents' home in Baton Rouge. "It really didn't matter to me which team picked me. I'm ready to go."

Pearson, a 6-foot-5 right-hander, went 10-1 as a junior. He slumped to a 4-7 record this past season with a 6.22 ERA, although he recorded 95 strikeouts in 77 innings. He struggled with his control at times, walking 67. Still, scouts turned out in droves to watch him every time he pitched.

Im happy to say that ASU's Adrian Urqhart was selected in the 25th round by the Montreal Expos

Originally posted by Anonymous
SOUTHERN?S FRED LEWIS GOES IN 2nd ROUND OF MLB DRAFT TO SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

BATON-ROUGE, LA ? Southern University baseball left-fielder, Fred Lewis, has been drafted in the second round of the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft. Lewis was selected 66th overall by the San Francisco Giants.

?This is a tremendous opportunity for Fred. We are extremely proud for him and what he has been able to accomplish in a short time here?, says Southern University head baseball coach Roger Cador.

?This young man came in to Southern and worked extremely hard, and the San Francisco Giants recognized that. He has improved greatly in some of the areas of his game that he needed to, and it has paid off. He came to us as a great two-sport athlete (football/baseball), but chose to concentrate on baseball.?

The junior outfielder transferred to Southern University after playing two seasons at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

?My hat goes off to my two assistants for getting him here. Barrett (Rey) and Arnold (Brathwaite) did a tremendous job of recruiting him and helping him to to this point in his career?, adds Cador.

Lewis (6-2, 180, L/R), a Wiggins, MS native hit .406 for the Jaguars in 2002, third on the team, behind 1st Team All-American Rickie Weeks, and 3rd team All-American, Antoin Gray. Lewis was also 3rd on the team in hits (71), tied for 1st in stolen bases (14), 3rd in total bases (109), 4th in runs scored (54) and was 4th in slugging percentage (.661).

Lewis was named to the second team all-SWAC team in 2002, and was a member of the 2002 SWAC Tournament All-Tourney Team.

?This is another outstanding boost to our program. With Michael Woods going as a 1st round sandwich pick last season, and now Fred Lewis in the second round, and the potential for Rickie Weeks to be the number one pick in next season?s draft, goes to show you we have a well established baseball program here at Southern.?

Others....
Jackson State pitcher, Anthony Pearson, 5th round to Montreal Expos..... Also the #2 pick in this year's draft is a black kid from the Chesapeake, VA area, being compared to Derek Jeter....

Go Jaguars !!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Back