Today is the 25th Anniversary of "ROOTS"

JSTUS

THE WARHORSES!!!
"Roots" Facts

"Roots" premiered January 23, 1977.

According to Raul Tovares' piece in the Museum of Broadcasting, Fred Silverman, ABC's chief programming czar at that time did not have faith that "Roots" would perform in sweeps month; therefore, Silverman stripped the program into the one week before February sweeps officially began.

Even Haley was surprised by the response to "Roots."
"Roots" was the first time the term "appointment television" was used, as it was before the advent of VCRs. People would literally time their days around the 6-part miniseries.

"Roots" garnered an average share of 66 and an average rating of 44.9.

Shops reported a sharp decline when "Roots" was on the air, which they finally came to regard was the 103 million people (on average on any given night) the program amassed.

Haley traced his roots back to the village of Juffure, in Gambia.

Though Haley eventually came to be criticized for trying to sanitize his ancestors' experience to make it more palatable for white audiences, Haley always described the book as "faction" -- a blending of fact and fiction. To the end of Haley's days, he saw "Roots" as an opportunity to help a generation find its ancestry with pride -- not prejudice.

The tremendous success of "Roots" can only be fully appreciated within social context:
"Roots" saw an America moving away from the 'turbulent 60s' into a country threatened by outside forces, like the Middle Eastern oil cartel, instability in Central America (especially Nicaragua), and so the nation began to close ranks.
However, the program served as a symbolic ritual that brought African Americans into the national community.
The program served to tell network executives and marketing and ad execs that black Americans had their own wealth and tremendous influence in society.
"Roots" represented the first time that a national programming event was cast mainly by actors of African descent.
Mass audience advertising became more integrated than at any other time in history.

What do you think about the movie?

If you have never seen it in it's entirety or would like to tape it, the "ROOTS" marathon will be shown Saturday, Jan. 26, 2002 starting at Noon, eastern time, on the HALLMARK channel.

Congrats to the movie

I, personally don't even remember "ROOTS". I was a child the last time I saw it. Even though it's about us and our history, I have a problem watching it. I can't stand to see our people as slaves. It's something that I struggle with daily with white folks. I think back to all they've done to us and are still doing and it just makes me sick.:mad:

So sorry, can't discuss the movie JSTUS.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hallmark channel??? Is that channel on Dish Network, cause some of my friends thought that it was comin on Sunday at 8:00 ET. But, I could not find it. I have the 100 channel package, so if it is on the 150 channel package, then I am out of luck.

I remember watching ROOTS as a child and even back then I was mad but didn't understand. As an adult I can look at it in a
different way, more artistic.

It took a lot to recreate that portion of history and to make it believable. I was looking at the 25 yr. special the other night and I got chills when they showed a scene on the ship where everyone was shackled and lying down, that was eerie.

After seeing what has been going on for years, now I understand my anger. :mad:
You have to READ, READ and RE-READ...an important lesson learned at SU

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
Hallmark channel??? Is that channel on Dish Network, cause some of my friends thought that it was comin on Sunday at 8:00 ET. But, I could not find it. I have the 100 channel package, so if it is on the 150 channel package, then I am out of luck.

I have regular expanded basic and one of the channels I get is HALLMARK. Check your listing. Since you are fortunate enough to have Dish Network, I'm sure you have it.

Also, the series did start coming on Sunday at 9pm est., but the marathon is Saturday.

Many of us miss the large and small meanings that are given in the movie: Kunta's determination to run away;the process to make him forget his name and take that of his master; The family Pride that Chicken George seemed to try so hard to escape when he was young and couldn't; Kunta's hate of the "toubob"; and Fiddler's wisdom although he had been a slave his entire life. People should watch it again and again to get the real messages that was given.

I liked "The Next Generation" as well, Will Palmer embodied the power of the black man.

Back