to all the real bandsmen

shrek01

this is just something that was on my mind.we see on here every day about who band is the shiznit.but have you ever thought to think about this.you cannot really say whos band is the baddest when every band has a unique sound about them. lets be real, we know that southern and famu have to totally different sounds, so how ccccan you say that one is better than the other.speak on it if ya feel me.

I don't quite understand what you are tryin' to say.

However. speaking from a consumer's stand point from what little I can comprehend from your statement,....

I look for originality, precission, in marching,... horn movements and over all unisom of the band. I look for uniformity.

MUSIC: I'm listening for a good clean sound with horn control. Size is not a factor. J.C. Smith demonstrated that in Atlanta. I hate sittin' in a game listening to a meat and bread only arrangement ( holes in the music with little to no counter melody). I'm watching for endurance in the 3rd and 4th quarter. I'm also watching the battle between sections and I watching retaliative responces. I'm looking at technical skills as well... to demonstrate you can perform at the required level.

halftime I'm looking for the unexpected excitement. I don't want to speak on Southern in comparrison to FAMU. However,...Jackson State,...for me has the total package. They play a great many marches which is a requirement. Their shows are set up for excitement. They will engage you even when the game has been over and they start turning off the stadium lights. Their music is seasoned. I hear the secondary dominant, suspensions, modulations, dynamics and other activities going on in the counter melody.

Yes,...I like a band that has their own style. I personally feel that another band shows signs of weakness when they try to copy from another band and looks sad tryin' to copy them unless they've perfected that which they took,...and took it to another level. I really don't think you can compare SWAC and MEAC Bands because they are all different with very few similarities. These are some of the things I look for. I don't know if that answers your question.

Originally posted by shrek01
this is just something that was on my mind.we see on here every day about who band is the shiznit.but have you ever thought to think about this.you cannot really say whos band is the baddest when every band has a unique sound about them. lets be real, we know that southern and famu have to totally different sounds, so how ccccan you say that one is better than the other.speak on it if ya feel me.

ness

Back