Thousands moving to Alabama from Illinois every year

People think I'm such a complainer because I'm always talking about how people are not getting paid what the cost of living calls for now other than how prior generations had things easier, especially the Boomers.... they go to there graves denying that. But You know people claim like your not doing enough side hustle or enough to start a business. But it takes money to make it... cost of living is much cheaper in Alabama... hell the cost of living in Jackson, MS is cheap too....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
People think I'm such a complainer because I'm always talking about how people are not getting paid what the cost of living calls for now other than how prior generations had things easier, especially the Boomers.... they go to there graves denying that. But You know people claim like your not doing enough side hustle or enough to start a business. But it takes money to make it... cost of living is much cheaper in Alabama... hell the cost of living in Jackson, MS is cheap too....
Much of what you comment on here is quite relative. I've found many of the younger people I have spoke with who make similar comments as yours are simply trying to out live their income. Does normal cost of living for you include foreign cars and exclusive neighborhoods?

I met a young lady at a small business seminar I was assisting with that makes about 70k a year and is trying to buy a 350k home.

Last edited:

This is so true and it's getting worse. For example, I always tell people I couldn't afford to go to TSU today .... it's gotten so expensive and they have cut scholarships too. It boggles my mind and it explains why our enrollment has flatlined. The campus is definitely more beautiful/modern today but it's not worth the high debt TSU is putting the majority of its students in.

Our only hope is a progressive president and government ... #RideTheBlueWave

Last edited:
Also what's driving a lot of the migration to Alabama is the University of Alabama and Auburn ... they both attract a high number of non-Alabamans that end up settling there and bringing people with them.

This is so true and it's getting worse. For example, I always tell people I couldn't afford to go to TSU today .... it's gotten so expensive and they have cut scholarships too. It boggles my mind and it explains why our enrollment has flatlined. The campus is definitely more beautiful/modern today but it's not worth the high debt TSU is putting the majority of its students in.

I disagree, TSU is a great value when compared to other similar universities. If you are having problems getting scholarships take a second look at your GPA. Don't sit around waiting for someone or the university to give you a scholarship, apply..apply..apply!!! Millions in scholarships go unused annually!
Where is the accountability?
If your debt is getting too high get a job.
I worked full time overnight "security Guard; could study at work", served in the Army reserves, and graduated Magna!
THINK, FIGURE A WAY TO DO IT THAT WORKS FOR YOU!
#TheDIFFERENCEisCLEAR! #IWILLWIN

I disagree, TSU is a great value when compared to other similar universities. If you are having problems getting scholarships take a second look at your GPA. Don't sit around waiting for someone or the university to give you a scholarship, apply..apply..apply!!! Millions in scholarships go unused annually!
Where is the accountability?
If your debt is getting too high get a job.
I worked full time overnight "security Guard; could study at work", served in the Army reserves, and graduated Magna!
THINK, FIGURE A WAY TO DO IT THAT WORKS FOR YOU!
#TheDIFFERENCEisCLEAR! #IWILLWIN

The average debt load for graduates at TSU (and PV) is $40K according to a recent report but most people I know are in more debt. TSU students leave with the most debt in the state ... the fact it's in the city make it more expensive. That's a bit excessive considering there are cheaper options (HCC for two years, SHSU & Lamar are cheaper). Getting a job will only put a dent in the total bill. Not everybody can take the military route, personally I'm afraid of violence and some people don't meet the physical requirements ... so many reasons ppl can't do that.

Also when I was at TSU, I was allowed to double up on institution scholarships to get a free ride. Today, they don't allow doubling up and the cost has increased ... it's really sad. If I hit the lottery, I will try to make TSU free for students not on full scholarships.

It has become damn near impossible to finish TSU without debt today. When I was in school, it wasn't impossible. I want people to go to TSU but it's just too expensive ... I don't want them getting in more debt than they need to. But if they can afford it and got scholarships ... it's gravy.

Last edited:

If we could get a president that would make public hbcus tuition free for african-americans if they finish each semester with a 3.0 that would help & grow enrollment exponentially.

The average debt load for graduates at TSU (and PV) is $40K according to a recent report but most people I know are in more debt. TSU students leave with the most debt in the state ... the fact it's in the city make it more expensive. That's a bit excessive considering there are cheaper options (HCC for two years, SHSU & Lamar are cheaper). Getting a job will only put a dent in the total bill. Not everybody can take the military route, personally I'm afraid of violence and some people don't meet the physical requirements ... so many reasons ppl can't do that.

Also when I was at TSU, I was allowed to double up on institution scholarships to get a free ride. Today, they don't allow doubling up and the cost has increased ... it's really sad. If I hit the lottery, I will try to make TSU free for students not on full scholarships.

It has become damn near impossible to finish TSU without debt today. When I was in school, it wasn't impossible. I want people to go to TSU but it's just too expensive ... I don't want them getting in more debt than they need to. But if they can afford it and got scholarships ... it's gravy.
Grad school...get a job that pays for grad school. My job offered 100% tuition reimbursement for graduate programs. Many of my peers attended TCU, UT, & TXa&m all fully reimbursed with passing grades. People make too many excuses, and expect things to be given to them. But it's our faults because we raise our kids giving them the things we didn't have. We didn't realize we were not giving them the hunger and drive we did have.

Back when I was in school we didn't have all these student loan forgiveness programs.

Back when I was in school we didn't have all these student loan forgiveness programs.

Because the cost of higher education wasn't three times the rate of inflation at the same time of rampant wage stagnation.

Why do you thinking many colleges, including some HBCUs, are significantly reducing out-of-state fees now?

The rising cost of college is completely unstainable at this rate. The housing bubble bursting nearly collapsed the country and a lot of people still haven't recovered. The college bubble is significantly larger. When that bursts, a lot of folks are going to be hurt.

Because the cost of higher education wasn't three times the rate of inflation at the same time of rampant wage stagnation.

Why do you thinking many colleges, including some HBCUs, are significantly reducing out-of-state fees now?

The rising cost of college is completely unstainable at this rate. The housing bubble bursting nearly collapsed the country and a lot of people still haven't recovered. The college bubble is significantly larger. When that bursts, a lot of folks are going to be hurt.
You are kidding right? That same adage about higher education out pacing the inflation rate has been a mainstay for 30 years. That is nothing new. When you index the cost of a college education with cost of living from 20 years ago vs now it's about the same. Things cost a little less for us but minimum wage was sub $6 hr.

In the year 1999, the United States minimum wage was $5.15. This is equivalent to $7.89 in 2019 dollars. Whew, we really had it made..😏

Last edited:
Back