Thoughts On The Tournamet

Texas Southern Fan

For one the program for the tournament had several errors in it. Prairie View was spelled wrong more than once. Prairie View?s Lady Panther team photo was from last year.

The team photo for TSU?s men team was correct, but the roster was wrong (last year roster). The roster for the Lady Tigers was correct, but the team photo was wrong (last year photo).

Second, some of the seats in the arena were dirty, something had spilled on them and no one cleaned them before the tournament. The floors were also sticky.

I?m sure there were many other problems, if you have any other complaints please post them and call the SWAC office (205) 2517573.

I give up. The program was embarrassing. If anyone in the SWAC Office knew about our respective teams they would have caught it in the proofreading phase and demanded a change.

As for the arena, I see why it's free. I rather play in UAB or the Civic Center instead if we're going to play in substandard conditions. At least get us a new floor and an adequate scoreboard.

There was no way to see which player had fouls and the scoreboard was on the far left and right sides on the arena.

This was my third year going to B'ham for the tournament and things are no better than the first year.

The answer ????????????

Yeah,those programs were just plain sad.

If it hasnt changed since I used to try to call

When you call, be prepared to hold for awhile. Be prepared to get voicemail for just about anybody you try to reach.
And when you finally reach a live voice, be prepared for that person to have no earthly idea about much of anything.
:( :(

oh yeah, the messed up programs aint nothing new.

:smh:

I called this morning, I asked to speak to Roberet Vowels, the Commissioner. The lady who answered the phone said he was not in and wouldn't be in at all today, so I left the commissioner a message on his voice mail and my phone number.

I just got off the phone with Robert Vowels, the Commissioner of the SWAC. He did what Mighty Hornet said he wouldn't do. He returned my call. I'll try to go in details later this evening.

Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan
He did what Mighty Hornet said he wouldn't do.
LOL

I haven't tried to call since he was there. That's why I started my comments by saying "if it hasn't changed".

I was just about to post that Commissioner Vowels will actually call you back. He was known for this during his SIAC tenure and the couple times I have called him, he has return the call or e-mail.

I glad to read from Texas Southern Fan that he returned the call, as well as realizing like Mighty Hornet mention that things have changed.

Look, the bottom line is we have too many weak teams that insist on playing teams even weaker than them. Not only is our RPI weak, we have a conference full of cowards.

And that is the bottom line.

Most of our schools have to play the big schools for garunteed money. Playing mid-major teams does not raise the kind of money needed to sustain a program. So play Troy State all you want, you are going to be broke.

The problem with the SWAC is we are top heavy. The rest of the SWAC brings the whole conference waaaay down.

In light of the fact there were no Alabama men teams in the tourney, what was the attendance like?

Get Ready,

Look, the bottom line is we have too many weak teams that insist on playing teams even weaker than them. Not only is our RPI weak, we have a conference full of cowards.

And that is the bottom line.

Most of our schools have to play the big schools for garunteed money. Playing mid-major teams does not raise the kind of money needed to sustain a program. So play Troy State all you want, you are going to be broke.

The problem with the SWAC is we are top heavy. The rest of the SWAC brings the whole conference waaaay down.

I totally disagree with you on this assessment. We have been working from this method for the last decade and it has not even come closed to working.

When Mr. Vowels, our commissioner returned my call, we talked for approximately fifteen minutes. He told me he was aware of all the errors in the program.

He said he was not aware of some of the seats in the arena being soiled.

As far as the basketball floor, he has been working with the city of Birmingham to get a new floor.

We talked about SWAC teams scheduling to many money games. He stated he would like to number the number of money games each school can play. He agreed we need to play more school on our level (Southland, Sun Belt, ect...).

He encouraged me to call him back whenever I had a problem, question or suggestion

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Earle.

Attendance was listed as:

Friday
PVA&MU vs. AlSU = 1,386
TxSU vs. MVSU =1,135

Saturday
TxSU vs. AlSU = 2,397

Based on these attendance we should do the following.

All tournament rounds should be held on the home court of the higher seed. Forget having a city as a basis for your tournament.

Also our tournament should finish prior to all the big tournaments to secure good air time. I have no problem with MBC but we should be moving to have all SWAC games televised in the conference.

Also I will be working with any network that wanted to hear on televising games. Give it to them free , something , Just get oursevels on TV and see if recruiting changes 10 fold.

At a minimum next year in Texas both PV/TSU games should be televised in Houston and PV should look to get the Grambling game televised in Dallas.

HOW MANY FANS ARE WE EXPECTING EACH TEAM TO BRING?? WHEN I SAY "BRING" I MEAN ALUMNI OR FRIENDS OF A PARTICULAR SCHOOL IN OR OUT OF TOWN?? I AM QUITE SURE IF THE PLACE WAS PACKED THE FOCUS OF THE DEBATE WOULD SHIFT TO THERE IS NOTHING FOR PEOPLE TO DO IN BIRMINGHAM.
WE NEED PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTING IN SEEING MORE THAN JUST THEIR SCHOOL. THE EVENT NEEDS TO BE BIGGER THAN THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY IN IT...OR AT LEAST APPEAR TO BE.

Back