Blu Panther

The name says it all
From the onnidan website posted by Decatur G of the MEACFans website

---------------------------------------
http://www.onnidan.com/bcsp/904/stry9041.htm

Thomas determined to make MEAC better
Roscoe Nance
BCSP Contributing Writer

Dennis Thomas loves a challenge. That's why he left Hampton University, where he was athletic director for 12 years and led the Pirates to a number of milestones, to become the new commissioner of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

"I just felt it was a good opportunity for me and another challenge," said Thomas, whose first day in the Greensboro, N. C. office of the conference was Tuesday. "I thought I could make the conference better." He replaces Charles Harris who resigned over the summer after six years on the job.

Thomas, 49, has some definite ideas about what it will take to make the MEAC better. They include solidifying the league's financial stability, expansion and bringing back a postseason bowl game involving the champions of the MEAC and the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

"We're strong financially," Thomas says. "But my philosophy is to always improve your financial strength, and that's what I plan to do."

Thomas' plan calls for increased corporate sponsorship for the conference.

"I'd like to engage corporate America to buy into the MEAC," he says. "I think we have a product that will be attractive to corporate America, but you have to package your product to fit what corporate America is looking for."

He says the conference's selling point is it's 11 member-institutions and their alumni.

"That alumni has significant buying power," he says. "You have to package your product to let corporate America know you have significant alumni with discretionary funds to buy what they have to sell. I don't think it will be a tough sell."

Thomas says he would like for the conference to add one member-institution. That move would also help to solidify the league's financially stability because it would pave the way for divisional play in all sports, which cuts down on travel expenses. In addition, it would set the stage for a conference championship game in football, which potentially could be a big revenue producer.

"Expansion is something we have to look at," Thomas says. "It has to be good fit, though. The school has to have a high academic profile like the 11 (current member) institutions, and we would like a football-playing institution. We're not in a rush. We have to make sure if we consider any institution they are a good fit athletically and academically, and that they bring something to table."

He expects to face an uphill struggle in his efforts to renew a bowl game involving the MEAC and SWAC champions. The conferences created the Heritage Bowl in 1990 because their champions weren't receiving automatic bids to the NCAA playoffs. However, the game lost much of its appeal when the MEAC became eligible for an automatic berth for its champion. That meant the SWAC champion would face the MEAC's runner-up or it's third-place team if the second-place finisher received an at-large playoff berth.

"We have to come together and both conferences will have to want the game," Thomas says. "The decision has to be made that both (champions) would forego the I-AA Championship. The major obstacle is not going to the I-AA. But that can be overcome if we can make it financially advantageous for the champions to play in the bowl."

Prior to becoming athletic director at Hampton in 1990 and overseeing the school's move from Division II to Division I, Thomas was chairman of the school's Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.

"He did an outstanding job for us," says Hampton president Dr. William Harvey. "I think he will do an outstanding job as commissioner. He has a tremendous work-ethic and integrity beyond reproach. I was the architect of our move to Division I. He was the master-builder. We had planned for ten years to move to Division I. We had a master plan, but if he had not been here we would not have been as successful as we've been."

Thomas became affiliated with the MEAC in 1985 when he was named head football coach at South Carolina State University. A 1974 graduate of Alcorn State, where he played football, his experience also includes having been an assistant coach at Northeast Louisiana State and defensive coordinator at his alma mater. He earned a doctorate in physical education from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1984.

The MEAC Board of Chief Executive Officers selected him to be commissioner from among 15 candidates.

"When you look at his credentials and his experience in athletics and academics, he was the best candidate," says Delaware State University President, Dr. William B. Delauder, chair of the MEAC CEOs. "We take pride in the strength of our academics and athletics in the MEAC. You need them to work together. He has that rare combination. We've been on a pattern of greatly enhancing all our programs, and he will continue that."

Based on what I just read, I wonder is MEAC fans will be very pleased with Dennis Thomas ideas of adding another school to the MEAC and renew the bowl game between the MEAC and SWAC?

It's so funny to me, 1-A have a bowl system and their fans want a play-off system. 1-AA have a play-off, the SWAC and now looks like the MEAC want a bowl game and omit the play-offs.

I thought the NCAA ruled against the MEAC and SWAC playing the Heritage bowl.

Thomas is simply trying to inject commonsense into MEAC football. He realizes that the purpose of athletic activity is to make money, and realizes that championship games, along with bowl games, will create more revenue than the playoffs. It's sad in a way that the MEAC did not understand this when the Heritage Bowl was a viable game.

I would prefer that the SWAC move on without the MEAC. We need to be more creative and create additional opportunities for our conference. The SWAC should expand to 14 members, with 7 teams in each division. Each team should be required to play the other six teams in the division, and two teams from the other division. The SWAC should then hold a championship game for the Eastern Division in Birmingham, and a championship game for the Western Division in either N.O., Shreveport, or Houston. Then, the divisions winners could play in a bowl game on New Year's Eve or Day in Atlanta or N.O.

This method would allow each division to attract fans of teams in that division because the fans would not have the expense of travelling long distances for two games. Under this plan, the fans would have a relatively short trip to a championship game, and a relatively long trip to the bowl game.

Originally posted by Oracle
The SWAC should expand to 14 members, with 7 teams in each division. Each team should be required to play the other six teams in the division, and two teams from the other division. The SWAC should then hold a championship game for the Eastern Division in Birmingham, and a championship game for the Western Division in either N.O., Shreveport, or Houston. Then, the divisions winners could play in a bowl game on New Year's Eve or Day in Atlanta or N.O.

WTF?:redhot: :bawling: :mad: :idea: :redhot: It's unheard of to take the first and second place team in the east and west division and let them play a divisional championship, followed by a conference championship (east vs west). I've seen the SWAC do some strange things, but this would take the cake.

We're always trying to find new revenue streams in the SWAC. The SWAC already lead in attendance in 1-AA football, so we make more revenue off the gate than any other 1-AA conference. We don't have a great TV package with MBC and BET, but there is one. Then add the Bayou Classic, the only 1-AA game nationally televised. When you add all of this together, do yall think we get a good return on our investment when you look at how competitive our schools are (SWAC) against outside competition?

Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan

We're always trying to find new revenue streams in the SWAC. The SWAC already lead in attendance in 1-AA football, so we make more revenue off the gate than any other 1-AA conference. We don't have a great TV package with MBC and BET, but there is one. Then add the Bayou Classic, the only 1-AA game nationally televised. When you add all of this together, do yall think we get a good return on our investment when you look at how competitive our schools are (SWAC) against outside competition?

You have to always find ways to stay ahead of the competition or you will fall behind. Finding new revenue streams is a constant concern in athletic competition if you wish to remain competitive.

Some people thought the idea of the championship game to create another revenue stream was ludicrous when SEC proposed the game. Some people opposed the game on the ground that it would limit the number of SEC teams invited to major bowls because one of the top SEC teams would have an additional loss on its record. After the game proved to be a success, no one any longer thought it was ludricious; everybody wanted part of the credit for creating the game. The SEC knew it had to find additional money if it wanted to be major player in college football and compete with the Big Ten and other conferences. The SEC made the money, got credit for being creative, and for creating the championship format. ( The SEC got credit for creating something it did not create. My old Sportsview magazines shows that the CIAA had divisional formats and a championship game in the late 80's and early 90's before the SEC started its game.)

Even though the SWAC teams have higher gate revenue than most other D1-AA conferences, those conferences still field teams that are more competitive than most SWAC teams. That is because a lot of those schools have access to other revenue streams that provide more money than that provided by gate attendance. Many of those schools obtain major contributions from many businesses and wealthy alumni members. With use of that money, the other schools can build or renovate facilities that attract players to those programs. That, I believe, explains why Troy State or Jacksonville State, are more than or as competitive than A&M even though A&M's game attendance is much higher.

The SWAC does not have access to a lot of large business contributions or wealthy alumni members. The SWAC has to utilize the resources available to it. Our resource is gate attendance. It makes sense to create more games that are likely to attract good gate attendance. The SWAC should also constantly look for other ways to increase revenue.

Television revenue is a very small part of the SWAC revenue stream, and I believe that it will remain that way. There have been discussions about creating superconferences by merging some of the larger conferences. If major D1-AA conferences merge, they will be more likely to get a major television contract than the SWAC. If D1-A conferences merge, they will have a lot of members, and may very well look at ways to increase revenues through conference championship games. Those conferences won't stand still on the ground that new revenue streams seems ludicrous. They will make the money while other people are standing on the sidelines talking about making money. The C-USA scheduled some of their games on Friday, Thursday and Tuesday nights even though they were critized. It did not listen to the criticism of the SEC, Big Ten and PAC-10 because the C-USA knew it needed the television time to increase revenue. The C-USA did not listen to those conferences because the C-USA knew those conferences had their huge revenue streams, and also knew that those conferences would have played games on those nights if they needed the money.

Why should the SWAC be concerned about the opinions of those who think it is odd to have divisional championship games and then a conference game? We're trying to make money. If it turned out to be successful, others would gladly imitate it, and take credit for creating it.

You have to always find ways to stay ahead of the competition or you will fall behind. Finding new revenue streams is a constant concern in athletic competition if you wish to remain competitive.

I agree, the SWAC should always look for additional revenue streams, but creating a divisional championship game between the first and second place finishers in the east and west division, then playing a SWAC championship game between the east and west champs is a bit much to me. By staying away from the
1-AA playoffs, I feel we (SWAC) is avoiding good competition against other 1-AA schools.

Some people thought the idea of the championship game to create another revenue stream was ludicrous when SEC proposed the game. Some people opposed the game on the ground that it would limit the number of SEC teams invited to major bowls because one of the top SEC teams would have an additional loss on its record. After the game proved to be a success, no one any longer thought it was ludricious; everybody wanted part of the credit for creating the game. The SEC knew it had to find additional money if it wanted to be major player in college football and compete with the Big Ten and other conferences. The SEC made the money, got credit for being creative, and for creating the championship format. ( The SEC got credit for creating something it did not create. My old Sportsview magazines shows that the CIAA had divisional formats and a championship game in the late 80's and early 90's before the SEC started its game.)
[/QUOTE

I don't believe all coaches, athletic directors, and fans feel the Big 12 and SEC championship games are a good idea. If you're the higher ranked team (BCS Rankings) and you lose in your conference championship game it will cost you a chance to play in one of the big bowl games and maybe the chance to play in the National Championship game.

Even though the SWAC teams have higher gate revenue than most other D1-AA conferences, those conferences still field teams that are more competitive than most SWAC teams. That is because a lot of those schools have access to other revenue streams that provide more money than that provided by gate attendance. Many of those schools obtain major contributions from many businesses and wealthy alumni members. With use of that money, the other schools can build or renovate facilities that attract players to those programs. That, I believe, explains why Troy State or Jacksonville State, are more than or as competitive than A&M even though A&M's game attendance is much higher.

Is there any proof the PWC's alumni give large sums of money back to their athletic programs, or are we giving them to much credit for being white? Why would the PWC's (1-AA schools) alumni give large amount of money back to their athletic programs when they don't even support them by going to their games?

Why should the SWAC be concerned about the opinions of those who think it is odd to have divisional championship games and then a conference game? We're trying to make money. If it turned out to be successful, others would gladly imitate it, and take credit for creating it.

I personally wouldn't support a divisional and championship game because I feel the conference (SWAC) is trying to gouge my pockets and at the same time avoid good competition against other 1-AA schools.

Originally posted by Texas Southern Fan

I personally wouldn't support a divisional and championship game because I feel the conference (SWAC) is trying to gouge my pockets and at the same time avoid good competition against other 1-AA schools.

TSU Fan:

You, of all fans, should support a divisional championship game. Although TSU will never win first place over Grambling or Southern in the West Division, but may accidentally slip into second place occasionally, the divisional championship format allows TSU to get into its only championship game. Believe it or not, I was not just thinking about making money when I made the proposal; I was also thinking about how to get TSU in some kind of championship game. Of course, you still won't win and won't make the conference championship game. Talk about biting the hand of someone who is trying to help TSU feel as though it belongs in the SWAC.

I know of instances where those other schools received money from outside sources. When Troy St. moved up to D1-AA from D-II, it received one million dollars from the founder of Sanders Lead Co. When it decided to go to D1-A, the City of Troy committed seven million dollars, and the local businesses three or four more millions. Scrushy, head of Healthsouth, donated millions to renovate the field and enlargen the weight room. Troy has low attendance at the gate, but it has more money for its program than ASU or A&M. The same thing was true for North Alabama. It was getting a lot of business support to assist its program which helped it to win three straight national championships.

The divisional format does not preclude playing games outside the SWAC. There would be room to play three other schools during the season. In addition, some teams not in the divisional championship games would be available for the playoff if they want to go.

Interesting, although this conversation is rapidly turning into something that has been rehashed over and over.<br><br>
I thought the NCAA ruled against the MEAC and SWAC playing the Heritage bowl.
No, that's not why the game was canceled.<br><br>THe 14 team think is crazy also with a divisional playoff. NO!!!<br><br>This biggest thing here is the statement from Thomas<br>
We have to come together and both conferences will have to want the game," Thomas says. "The decision has to be made that both (champions) would forego the I-AA Championship. The major obstacle is not going to the I-AA. But that can be overcome if we can make it financially advantageous for the champions to play in the bowl."
We know the 1AA playoff is a big money loser. So the SWAC and MEAC need to make a desicion, what is more important, beating PWC or money. A Black College National Championship Game could really be sold and be a great moneymaker, not just a game, but an event. I personnally don't buy the arguement, go to the playoffs because we want to "Play the best" THe only HBCU that did that (played the best) was FAMU (they played Miami). Winning any game is nice, but I don't get nothing extra from playing (or beating) the Montana States of the world. IF we did the damn game right, we would have the Montana states and Georgia Southern looking up at us, wanting a piece of our pie, instead of us kissing up to thier no moneymaking, no respect, second level playoff. IF you don't believe in black college football, the answer is simple, go to a white school.

Originally posted by Lewis
Interesting, although this conversation is rapidly turning into something that has been rehashed over and over.<br><br> No, that's not why the game was canceled.<br><br>THe 14 team think is crazy also with a divisional playoff. NO!!!<br><br>This biggest thing here is the statement from Thomas<br> We know the 1AA playoff is a big money loser. So the SWAC and MEAC need to make a desicion, what is more important, beating PWC or money. A Black College National Championship Game could really be sold and be a great moneymaker, not just a game, but an event. I personnally don't buy the arguement, go to the playoffs because we want to "Play the best" THe only HBCU that did that (played the best) was FAMU (they played Miami). Winning any game is nice, but I don't get nothing extra from playing (or beating) the Montana States of the world. IF we did the damn game right, we would have the Montana states and Georgia Southern looking up at us, wanting a piece of our pie, instead of us kissing up to thier no moneymaking, no respect, second level playoff. IF you don't believe in black college football, the answer is simple, go to a white school.

They already do lewis thats why its p!ss@s me off to listen to these MEAC fans try to justifiy their dumb @ss move to go to the playoff and all that the new commish is doing is saying that the SWAC is right.
As for the statement he made about they are already financially in good shape you and I both knows who leads the country in attendence.

We need to bring more financial success to our own conference.

TSU Fan:

You, of all fans, should support a divisional championship game. Although TSU will never win first place over Grambling or Southern in the West Division...

Interesting.

THE SWAC WILL STILL DOMINATE THE MEAC LIKE ALWAYS!!!!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

MEN DO WHAT THEY WANT, BOYS DO WHAT THEY CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Originally posted by GATEKEEPER
THE SWAC WILL STILL DOMINATE THE MEAC LIKE ALWAYS!!!!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

MEN DO WHAT THEY WANT, BOYS DO WHAT THEY CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Has the SWAC beaten the MEAC yet this year?
Just axin...

I say the MEAC should have both.....send our champion and 2nd place to the playoffs, and send our 3rd place to the HB to play whoever the SWAC wants to send. We have proven that our 3rd place team is still competitive with your champion, and there was still about 30K at the game.

Originally posted by A&amp;T Brandmasta
Has the SWAC beaten the MEAC yet this year?
Just axin...

I say the MEAC should have both.....send our champion and 2nd place to the playoffs, and send our 3rd place to the HB to play whoever the SWAC wants to send. We have proven that our 3rd place team is still competitive with your champion, and there was still about 30K at the game.

There was 30k because of the Southern fans. Regardless of bowl games, championship games, or play-offs, if nobody buys ticket none of it is going to work. SWAC or MEAC can not ride the backs of 3 or 4 schools and be able to stay alive.

Also, is there a site were members of the Ivy League post? I would like to know if the MEAC or any other PWC school (that goes to the play-off) post on it with this ?playing the best? or ?stop the isolation? BS

Back