This Is What Those Yellow Patches On Your Lawn Mean

Olde Hornet

Why is my lawn yellow?

Yes, sometimes this is caused by hydration issues. “Too much or not enough water can turn your lawn yellow or straw-coloured. Too much water can drown grass roots and rob the soil of oxygen and that lush green colour. Too little water will create drought symptoms that turn your lawn yellow or some shade of brown,” shared Family Handyman.

But there are many other issues that can create straw-like patches on your lawn. These include:

• Too little nitrogen
  • Cutting your grass too short – this can expose the grass’ roots, leaving it vulnerable to drought and infection
  • Excess nitrogen, which can come from fertiliser and dog urine
  • A grub infestation, like the larvae of June bugs and daddy-long-legs
  • Too much pressure and weight from objects like paddling pools, hot tubs, lawn furniture, and more
  • Soil compaction, which can happen because of heavy machinery or mixing sand into your soil
  • Fungal diseases – a “fusarium patch, also called snow mould, is a common cause of brown patches on lawns”

Why is my lawn yellow?

Yes, sometimes this is caused by hydration issues. “Too much or not enough water can turn your lawn yellow or straw-coloured. Too much water can drown grass roots and rob the soil of oxygen and that lush green colour. Too little water will create drought symptoms that turn your lawn yellow or some shade of brown,” shared Family Handyman.

But there are many other issues that can create straw-like patches on your lawn. These include:

• Too little nitrogen
  • Cutting your grass too short – this can expose the grass’ roots, leaving it vulnerable to drought and infection
  • Excess nitrogen, which can come from fertiliser and dog urine
  • A grub infestation, like the larvae of June bugs and daddy-long-legs
  • Too much pressure and weight from objects like paddling pools, hot tubs, lawn furniture, and more
  • Soil compaction, which can happen because of heavy machinery or mixing sand into your soil
  • Fungal diseases – a “fusarium patch, also called snow mould, is a common cause of brown patches on lawns”
I never had yellow spots or a problem with insects when I was doing yard work. My lawn was always lush and green. The neighbors would ask "How do you get your grass so green?" You have to understand the fertilizer numbers (the NPK ratio) on the bag to get a lawn that is lush green.

Not cutting the grass too low and putting fertilizer down just before it rains are the most important tasks for a healthy lawn.

Back