THIS IS ****ING RIDICULOUS....Sorry Kenn But I Had To

Dr. Sweet NUPE

I'M WATCHING BET AND THERE IS A SEGMENT ENTITLED "ACT A FOOL" WHERE THIS MAN IS ASKING PEOPLE AT THE MALL TO BORROW THEIR BELT TO SPANK HIS CHILD.

When will BET stop this TIHS!!!:redhot:

Re: Re: THIS IS ****ING RIDICULOUS....Sorry Kenn But I Had To

Originally posted by mighty hornet

Maybe they will stop showing the crap when we stop watching the crap.

Amen!!

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
I'M WATCHING BET AND THERE IS A SEGMENT ENTITLED "ACT A FOOL" WHERE THIS MAN IS ASKING PEOPLE AT THE MALL TO BORROW THEIR BELT TO SPANK HIS CHILD.

When will BET stop this TIHS!!!:redhot:

i hate BET, i've already exercised my right to stop watching. it's a shame because that network is "suppose" to represent us.

I stopped watching BET when they started coming to the awards show looking like the line outside of the club. I also stopped watching it when Oh drama and The Way We do It!

For a white man to take over the company, the shows sure are G Fabulous!

My TV barely gets any play anymore. If it wasn't for football, my cable would be off!

Broadband send help!

Re: Re: THIS IS ****ING RIDICULOUS....Sorry Kenn But I Had To

Originally posted by XHALE9802

i hate BET, i've already exercised my right to stop watching. it's a shame because that network is "suppose" to represent us.

I thought I was the only one. :smh:

Mabye if we quit living vicariously through bullisht like movies and BET then it won't be an issue of whether or not their programing is demeaning. You don't see white people talking about how bad MTV's Jackass makes them look, why...because, we constantly worry about how white America views us. I have never been in a conversation where a white guy said to me..."Hey, Maka, I would listen to your opinion, but I say Oh Drama last night, and those Sistas on there basically said that what you are saying is bullisht". :rolleyes:

People should worry more about how they are viewed on a personal basis because that creates more of an impression than BET ever could.

You're right, people SHOULD do that, but to do so doesn't take away from the fact that BET's programming is str8 GARBAGE. If it isn't Sunday morning gospel programming, I REALLY try hard to keep BET off my airwaves ...

We outta just go to BET headquarters and given them a piece of our mind. I very seldom turn to BET but mostly now I watch the local channels and Game Show Network (yes I'm a game show fanatic)

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock
Mabye if we quit living vicariously through bullisht like movies and BET then it won't be an issue of whether or not their programing is demeaning. You don't see white people talking about how bad MTV's Jackass makes them look, why...because, we constantly worry about how white America views us. I have never been in a conversation where a white guy said to me..."Hey, Maka, I would listen to your opinion, but I say Oh Drama last night, and those Sistas on there basically said that what you are saying is bullisht". :rolleyes:

People should worry more about how they are viewed on a personal basis because that creates more of an impression than BET ever could.

While no one has attacked the "movie" Jackass, people in the "bible belt" think that MTV is the work of the Devil and they don't mind sharing their beliefs with anyone.

Various Italian Americans vocalized their frustration with the continuous portrayal of Italians in shows such as Soprano. When we meet someone with an Italian accent, we instantly go into our various Uncle Guido accents. The Jewish Americans control the media, so you won't have to worry about their being portrayed negatively.

If you have ever lived in White America, you have to be concerned about the depiction of your respective race or culture on TV. In many instances, this is the majority population only contact with people of color. They then generalize, that all people of a particular racial or ethnic group behave in such a manner, and the actions are acceptable. Hence, White folk and others don't understand why they can't use the N- word in a non - confrontational manner.

Therefore, we have to be concerned about manner in which members of our race project themselves. Whether we want to believe it or not, we are all judged by actions of that one person.

And that my friend is the Bottom Line

Re: Re: Re: THIS IS ****ING RIDICULOUS....Sorry Kenn But I Had To

Originally posted by KOOP63
Originally posted by mighty hornet

Maybe they will stop showing the crap when we stop watching the crap.

Amen!!

Or if you write you cable company threatening to cancel because of BET.

Of course, there is Soph's choice: Kill Your Television.

You have a good point but how many stations are titled "White Entertainment Television?" Now I know that your statement probably will be, "Every station is geared toward white people and men." Yet, this is the only station that is geared toward African Americans.

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock

I rarely watch BET because the programming is everything but entertaining.

IF BET notices a more than large decline, maybe the mind will pick up on something. But knowing how they have so many people in shakles that'll never happen at an alarming rate.

That's why I've made my major switch to Gary's Network, MBC. The programs are-unlike BET- of high quality.

If it ain't Sunday, I'm not going to submit to viewing the abundant jackassery of BET.

Nice article...

BET: Black Exploitation T.V.
KELLY COOK
Cornell University
http://www.cornelldailysun.com/

In a small and conservative Midwestern town in Ohio where we still say pop and tennis shoes and no one has ever heard of soda or sneakers, the latest trends in society often travel slowly -- very slowly. Everything from new fashions and catch phrases to, in this case, trends in television are the last to reach my town.

As an African American female residing in a mostly white suburb, one can imagine how excited I was when our town began broadcasting Black Entertainment Television (BET) just last year. I could finally discover what I had been missing all those years I spent as the only black kid in the United States, it seemed, who didn't watch BET. As I clicked my remote to the station in anticipation, I watched in utter disbelief of what I saw.

It was a show called Cita's World where a computer-animated, finger-snapping hoodrat, who embodied every negative stereotype of black women imaginable, introduced music videos. This wasn't what I had waited for, I thought. But maybe this was the only program that was exploitative. I mean every network is entitled to one bad show, right? Wrong!

As I continued to view BET over summer vacation, I saw a string of shows that represented blacks as living stereotypes.

Oh! Drama, a show modeled after, but a far cry from, Barbara Walter's The View features a panel of three black women discussing such crucial issues as "baby-mammas" and "golddiggers." It is difficult to understand the topics being discussed when the hosts constantly digress into off-subject spiels in Ebonics.

Black Star Power Cinema, a series of B movies that BET tries to pass off as quality black films, promotes titles like Prison Song and License to Kill. BET's music video show, Hits from the Streets, features a segment called "Act a Fool" where the Sambo-acting host pulls vulgar pranks on passersby.

Even the station's news journal program, BET Tonight with Ed Gordon, isn't respectable, particularly in its panel discussions. Can there be a panel discussion on BET Tonight that does not include convicted felon, Suge Night -- please?

And last but certainly not least, BET's music videos are the most deplorable of the station's programs. On a merely artistic level, the videos have zero merit. The thrusting of platinum teeth, gold chains, half-naked asses, and cleavage into the camera are ridiculously cliche.

The videos also promote objectification of women and an underlying message of self-hatred. The women, affectionately named "video ho's," are shown fawning over gold-tooth-sporting, basketball-jersey-wearing rappers.

In two popular videos, Camron's "Oh Boy" and Ja Rule's "Always on Time," two girls on either side of each man take turns pouring milk and cereal for the rappers.

Videos seldom feature black women and if they do, the black women possess Eurocentric features of light skin and long hair, sending the message that black women aren't beautiful.

After witnessing this degrading television, I jumped to the conclusion that of course the executives who controlled the programming on BET must be white. It goes without saying that blacks themselves wouldn't be involved in the business of exploiting each other for profit.

But I was wrong again. According to Matthew Fox, a white student at Oberlin College who interned at BET, the people in charge of program selection are in fact black. And BET's website under the corporate tab makes it clear that blacks run the station. It displays profiles of Founder, Chairman and CEO Robert L. Johnson as well as of President and Chief Operating Officer, Debra L. Lee, both of whom are black.

BET's mission statement states it is the "leading African American multi-media entertainment company," and it's easy to see BET's influence on black Americans. Take a look around Cornell, and one can observe that despite intellectual capability, black men take their cues from the network on styles of dress, choices in jewelry, and even their treatments of women. Some black men, not all but certainly many, look to BET to assert their blackness, which translates into a growing hip-hop culture.

Why are so many blacks mimicking what they see on television? Perhaps it is a sign of a missing link between modern black American culture and our original African ancestry -- a void that was created during slavery when millions of Africans from various cultures and civilizations were forced to adopt European names and practice European religion and even deny their own heritage.

Instead of endorsing positive images, BET programs teach audiences to disrespect women and hate themselves. Instead of supporting intellectual accomplishments, BET teaches youth to aspire toward becoming rappers and basketball players with shows like How I'm Living, which display the mansions and cars of recording artists and athletes. BET encourages entertainers while ignoring other professions and the fact that blacks are a people of many talents and achievements.

Why doesn't Ed Gordon interview National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, for example? Why doesn't Oh! Drama discuss real issues that are important like the economic status of African Americans?

It's because the people at the top who worked hard to earn their MBAs and climbed the corporate ladder care more about their wallets than the communities from which they came. They fail to take risks that might uplift viewers in an effort to safeguard their six-figure salaries. But what good is success if your community can't share it?

With great power comes great responsibility, and BET has a responsibility -- not only to the millions of black youths who watch the network, but also to Americans at large. At stake is how Americans view blacks and more importantly how we view ourselves, for only when we regard each other accurately and in a positive light may we fully realize our potential.

Copyright ? 2002 by The Cornell Daily Sun, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Back