Third time’s the charm: Interim band director to be inducted into national hall of fame

bernard

THEE Realist
Interim director of JSU bands Dowell Taylor will be inducted into the 2018 class of the National Black College Alumni Hall of Fame Foundation Inc. during the 33rd Hall of Fame Ceremony in Atlanta on Sept. 28.

“I’m overwhelmed and steeped in humility.” He said, “I feel like it’s a great honor not just for me but for Jackson State University and those students who look up to me as a leader, teacher or role model.”

Taylor will be in “tall cotton” when he joins the distinguished list of over 300 notables enshrined in the hall of fame since 1986 such as Justice Thurgood Marshall, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Walter Payton, Leontyne Price and Nancy Wilson.

The Jackson native further described the induction as a prestigious honor, adding that “as long as I can inspire others then I’m immensely satisfied.”

Hailing from a large musical family of 22 brothers and sisters, Taylor jokes that his father, a preacher, thought the Bible Scripture “be fruitful and multiply the earth” applied solely to him.

Like many Southern musicians, Taylor grew up singing in church and playing the piano along with his siblings, several of whom are musically inclined. “It was a whole lot of fun. There was always action, playing, fighting, love and competition. There was always that in our home,” he said.

A natural talent, the director could read music and play by ear. Periodically, he would take piano lessons but jokingly admits that he found them mundane. “I wanted to be creative. I wanted to create my own thing,” said Taylor, revealing that some of his most memorable music moments were as a sophomore in high school when he formed a rock band.

“We used to sneak into my bedroom at my home and practice. I was teaching everybody their parts.” He said, “I didn’t know what I was doing, but I was using my ear to direct the trombone. We had a trumpet. We had a sax, and I was giving them correct notes. It was a lot of fun.”

An alum of JSU, Taylor also counts his years marching in the tuba section entertaining audiences with the illustrious Sonic Boom of the South as an extraordinary period in his life. “We had a lot of fun in those days.”

However, his foray into playing the tuba occurred nearly by happenstance. While a student at Powell Junior High School, Taylor longed to be a trumpeter in the band. But his hopes were momentarily dashed when his parents could not afford to purchase the instrument.

Improvising, he then chose the sousaphone, commonly known as a tuba, which was considered school property and he could use at no cost. Hence Taylor “fell in love” with the tuba, and his affair with music evolved.

Fate would again intervene and lead the musician to JSU after his graduation from Callaway High School in 1972. En route to Northwest Mississippi Junior College to begin his collegiate career on a piano scholarship, Taylor decided to stop by the Jackson Mall now known as the Jackson Medical Mall.

“By chance, I heard Jackson State’s band sitting in the parking lot in concert formation playing a tune called ‘Shaft.’” He said, “I was mesmerized. I changed from that point. I redirected my travels and joined the band at Jackson State and never looked back.”

As an undergraduate, Taylor arranged over 100 band selections including the renowned school theme song “Get Ready” originally arranged by John Paul Jones. He also received the “Best All Around Bandsman” award in 1975 – the apogee of honor for a JSU bandsman.

Third time’s the charm: Interim band director to be inducted into national hall of fame | Jackson State Newsroom

Back