There’s the rub: Vicks might make kids sicker

Blacknbengal

Vicks VapoRub, the menthol salve used to soothe generations of congested kids, may actually make some little ones worse, a new study suggests.

The strong-smelling ointment often dabbed under noses or rubbed on the soles of feet can be an irritant, increasing the production of mucus and decreasing how fast it’s cleared, potentially causing dangerous breathing problems in infants and very young children.

“In a small child who may be hypersensitive, this can make the airways even smaller,â€￾ said Dr. Bruce K. Rubin, vice chairman of the department of pediatrics at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, N.C. “It can narrow them severely.â€￾

Rest story

I remember my mom rubbing this on my chest as a child.

Vicks VapoRub, the menthol salve used to soothe generations of congested kids, may actually make some little ones worse, a new study suggests.

The strong-smelling ointment often dabbed under noses or rubbed on the soles of feet can be an irritant, increasing the production of mucus and decreasing how fast it’s cleared, potentially causing dangerous breathing problems in infants and very young children.

“In a small child who may be hypersensitive, this can make the airways even smaller,” said Dr. Bruce K. Rubin, vice chairman of the department of pediatrics at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, N.C. “It can narrow them severely.”

Rest story

I remember my mom rubbing this on my chest as a child.

I remember it too. And I also remember how badly it burned - literally left red marks under my nose and on my chest. Maybe I was hypersensitive or something but I couldn't stand it and I never used it on my kids. I would however put it in a Vaporizer...

Good for you today, bad for you tomorrow. :smh: :smh:

:idea:
Vick's Vapor Rub is bad for us probably, because 'good ole' Vick more than likely has changed the original formula and what we are using today is not what we were using yesterday. Most companies start taking shortcuts and cost cutting efforts in an attempt to save and make more $$$'s They're looking at their bottom line and forget about us, the consumer and our needs.
:goodbad:

Last edited:
His real name is Billy, but some puddins like to cal him "Man ole Man" so man man is his nick name. :sperm:

scared0015.gif
Oh, I see.... I thought man man was your son's nickname....

Sprints out of thread...

Back