The SWAC needs a basketball advisor to advise presidents and ADs

you get more years out of them and most of them are happy to play d1 and come in with 60 hours.

Grad transfers are safe but the NCAA will change it soon. Look at the studies out there as the big schools are poaching the best grad talent or even undergrad talent from the smaller conferences. The MEAC lost at least 10 players alone from this past season.

Transfers become part of your APR as soon as they enroll and get scholarship money. Juco players are much safer than high school also.

If that's the case why do our schools track players that have transferred from our program. Each players is worth 2 APR points. If the player is academically eligible when the transfer occurs, you only lose 1 point. If the player matriculate after the transfer you get the point back.

If that's the case why do our schools track players that have transferred from our program. Each players is worth 2 APR points. If the player is academically eligible when the transfer occurs, you only lose 1 point. If the player matriculate after the transfer you get the point back.
You don't get that point if the player transfers and is eligible. You just lose a retention point so it ends up being 1 of 2 points instead of 2/2.

Based on all this information the chances of the SWAC getting a "one and done" caliber player are slim to none even if that type of player wanted to come.

Based on all this information the chances of the SWAC getting a "one and done" caliber player are slim to none even if that type of player wanted to come.

If I recall correctly, 1 and dones dont count against APR because they are going pro. Same for football players than leave early.

We shouldn't even focus on those players. Our best route to basketball prominence (or at LEAST national respect) is getting quality D1 transfers, quality coaching and long term sustained administrative support.

We shouldn't even focus on those players. Our best route to basketball prominence (or at LEAST national respect) is getting quality D1 transfers, quality coaching and long term sustained administrative support.

Sounds like the Texas Southern formula. Now Davis needs to get that post season quality performance together but he was really not pleased with the 16th seed.

Sounds like the Texas Southern formula. Now Davis needs to get that post season quality performance together but he was really not pleased with the 16th seed.

As the conference improves overall, we would get more than just the 16th seed.

It starts with a committment by presidents, boards and search committees to hire coaches who have access to transfers, and providing the coaches a full allotment of scholarships, and better program budgets. Until more programs follow the TXSU/Mike Davis model and stop hiring homeboys, church members, frat brothers or the lowest bidder, it wont improve.

Thats why this advisor (or committee of advisors) is sorely needed in the SWAC. Basketball is the only sport capable of competing with the big boys on a national level, next to baseball. Football is in a lower subdivision and requires money our schools will never have.

I will say that the conference is in better shape than it has been from a coaching standpoint...schools just needs to improve from a resources standpoint. The facilities could also improve, but the SWAC has better facilities than many other D1 programs that have made deep tournament runs (example, Florida-Gulf Coast).

If you look at the EADA financial reports that all schools submit to the federal government, Texas Southern leads the SWAC by a long shot in basketball expenses and revenues. It shows on the court.

In our case, we hired Marsh and Marsh told the university he needed 13 scholarships. The previous coach had 10. When I found that out, I asked myself how many other of our universities are cutting corners like this and are ok with going .500 in the conference and getting embarrassed through the whole month of December.

Our schools will have 7 or 8 VP level administrators making well over 100k (plus benefits, and other work related expenses) but will balk at increasing athletic resources.

Our entire problem is resources.....

But it doesn't take as much of an increase as some realize. Mike Davis makes 250k. There are probably 10 people on every SWAC campus drawing similar salaries.

The problem is the HNICs don't want a coach drawing the highest salary on campus.

you don't need an advisory, everything has been said in this thread. Spend and be successful.

Spending more deffinitely helps, but an advisory person would help ensure it's spent wisely.

For example, let's say Grambling had a 400k budget for entire men's coaching staff. Who is the head coach who is willing to take it for 250k with access to assistants willing to work for 75k a piece? Will the head coach be comfortable with only 2 full time assistants? Does he have access to a quality recruiting pool? What about the pool of candidates willing to take the job for $150k or less? Do they have a recruiting pool? That's information cannot always be found in interviews and secondary research of individuals in a candidate pool.

Just for the sake of addressing the title of this thread. The SWAC has hired an advisor to advise the Presidents and ADs. He's called the commissioner. His name is Duer Sharp.

Yeah, I'm sure the conference commissioner is busy with other responsibilities (hence why I posted more than a title, but I digress)

Im actually interested in your take on all that, and the prospects for progress in basketball in general

The Queen was wrong for licking JSU dry and hiring these sorry ass football coaches.

You will be 0-4 against the worst A&M coach in history come Thanksgiving.
I hope not for the lost to A&M but I do agree with the sorry azz coaches statement.

But it doesn't take as much of an increase as some realize. Mike Davis makes 250k. There are probably 10 people on every SWAC campus drawing similar salaries.

The problem is the HNICs don't want a coach drawing the highest salary on campus.

That's Davis' base salary. He hasn't brought home his base salary since his first day SWAC tournament.

That's Davis' base salary. He hasn't brought home his base salary since his first day SWAC tournament.

Which further proves my point. TXSU basketball is good because the administration is content with paying that kind of salary for a head coach worthy of it . Most SWAC schools dont even want to commit those kind of dollars to football, much less men's basketball. Can't get quality with the bare minimum investments.

Which further proves my point. TXSU basketball is good because the administration is content with paying that kind of salary for a head coach worthy of it . Most SWAC schools dont even want to commit those kind of dollars to football, much less men's basketball. Can't get quality with the bare minimum investments.

Welcome to our world in Itta Bena smh

Me and DGTM (as far as posters on here) have told other Valley alums this for a while. Our case is the definition of cutting corners but glad to see others are in similar situations and wanting to improve them

Welcome to our world in Itta Bena smh

Me and DGTM (as far as posters on here) have told other Valley alums this for a while. Our case is the definition of cutting corners but glad to see others are in similar situations and wanting to improve them

We FINALLY seem to be growing out of this, but it still takes more convincing than it should.

IMO, if you can't pay a coach 200k, he's probably not qualified to get what you want out of the program.

Most FCS schools period don't pay $250K for football head coaches.

Most FCS schools period don't pay $250K for football head coaches.

Most dont, but plenty do. And most other FCS conferences aren't leading the FCS in attendance either (which is indicative of a fan base's thirst for a healthy program)

http://www.aseaofred.com/scanning-fcs-coaches-salaries/

My concern is more with basketball since basketball isn't limited to a subdivision.

What if Davis takes Texas Southern to the sweet 16? The equivalent cant happen in football, and yet football coaches are paid similar salaries with our basketball coaches.

Back