The Sabbath day........Saturday or Sunday

str8brave

"Da Scorpio"
What is your opinion on the day of worship? Do you feel that everyone should worship on Sunday, because Jesus rose on the first day of the week... Matthew 28:1-8...or on Saturday, because of the scripture in the bible that states:

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made the heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11

I ask this question because my girlfriend is a Seventh-day Adventist Christian(no offense, because I have been worshipping with them for a while on Saturday even though I am not an Adventist) and we used to get into little disagreements over whether the day of worship should be Saturday or Sunday. Is it important the day you worship or just as long as you worship. I would really like to hear your views on this matter.

str8brave,

Shorter answer:
I'm not seventhday adventist but I believe saturday was the sabbath in the OT. There is a different application of the day of rest in the NT. It's not a designated day in the NT, like it was in the OT......(talk more later). Pray to God what good Bible based Church you should go to and whenever They have service, show up.

Longer answer: The Day of Worship
There are basically 3 things that God has always requied US to have for Worship(besides ourselves), A Temple, a Priest, a Sacrafice.

a) In the OT people went to a specified place and had the priest represent them to God and God to them, when he sacraficed animals in the temple. The people didn't have a personal relationship with God like we do today because they had to go through the priest to get to God.
b) In the NT, we have the temple which is on the inside of us, Romans 12:1, 2, and we have the priest on the inside of us, Jesus, who became the final sacrafice for all men, (read entire book of Hebrews).

Worship is not WHERE you are on Sat/Sun, it's WHO you are all week. The way you learn to be a TRUE worshiper, I Believe, is to learn how to live Monday thru Saturday, how you live on Sunday morning.

Example: Would you and your girl friend ever think about having sex in church? If y'all get "hot" during the service would the two of you tip out while the preacher is preaching and go to the bathroom for a wahile and then come back? You answer would probably "No!, We'd never do that in church. That's not what church is for!" Well.....in the NT chruch is not just where you go once a week, it's WHO YOU ARE everyday. You are the Church, You're Priest lives IN you, so where ever we've done our "dirt" we've done it in the house of God because that is who we are. That should change our minds about sin!

Everyday is the day of Worship in the New Testamanet, unlike the designated days of worship in the Old Testament because we ARE the literal church/house of God.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Saturday, worship was never ordained for Christians. The word Sabbath {shab-bawth} holy day. Is different from the word Saturday or seventh day {sheb-ee-ee} which is a ordinal number. The OT commandments, Levitical Laws, were for Hebrews not Christians.

Originally posted by nevaehinvesting
str8brave,

Shorter answer:
I'm not seventhday adventist but I believe saturday was the sabbath in the OT. There is a different application of the day of rest in the NT. It's not a designated day in the NT, like it was in the OT......(talk more later). Pray to God what good Bible based Church you should go to and whenever They have service, show up.

Longer answer: The Day of Worship
There are basically 3 things that God has always requied US to have for Worship(besides ourselves), A Temple, a Priest, a Sacrafice.

a) In the OT people went to a specified place and had the priest represent them to God and God to them, when he sacraficed animals in the temple. The people didn't have a personal relationship with God like we do today because they had to go through the priest to get to God.
b) In the NT, we have the temple which is on the inside of us, Romans 12:1, 2, and we have the priest on the inside of us, Jesus, who became the final sacrafice for all men, (read entire book of Hebrews).

Worship is not WHERE you are on Sat/Sun, it's WHO you are all week. The way you learn to be a TRUE worshiper, I Believe, is to learn how to live Monday thru Saturday, how you live on Sunday morning.

Example: Would you and your girl friend ever think about having sex in church? If y'all get "hot" during the service would the two of you tip out while the preacher is preaching and go to the bathroom for a wahile and then come back? You answer would probably "No!, We'd never do that in church. That's not what church is for!" Well.....in the NT chruch is not just where you go once a week, it's WHO YOU ARE everyday. You are the Church, You're Priest lives IN you, so where ever we've done our "dirt" we've done it in the house of God because that is who we are. That should change our minds about sin!

Everyday is the day of Worship in the New Testamanet, unlike the designated days of worship in the Old Testament because we ARE the literal church/house of God.

Neva,

Can I ask you what day do you worship on? More than likely it is probably Sunday. What made you choose that day for worship? The church you worship at probably worships on Sunday. Where did they get that from?

God commandments(law)Exodus 20 in the bible weren't done away with in the OT, but the ceremonial law was (the taking of animals to the alter for sacrifice).

I know everyday should be a day of worship. But there is (it is in the bible)supposed to a day(sabbath) set aside for worship.. If not why do you do it on Sunday. A day that you should not work. You work throughout the weekThe Sabbath day is not just in the OT it is also in the NT.

I am not trying to argue, I am not that type of person, but only trying to stimulate thought.

By the way, I watch the ministry you attend on T.V sometimes. I like Pastor Joel Osteen at Lakewood Church. I praise God for the Anointing on his life. Sorry to side track, I just had to say that.

I am not seventh-day adventist. I am non-denominational. I am a saved, spirit-filled christian. So I am in no way saying that I am in total agreement with the Adventist Church. But they are not the typical Adventist Church, they are more like Full Gospel Adventist if I could say for you to understand me, because they teach the word. Other than the reinteration of the Saturday sabbath. I enjoy worshipping with them. I want to be right in every aspect of my life. I want nothing but the word not mixed with people's interpretation, only the gospel.

Please respond to the statements above.

So,...

the change from one calendar to another...Gregorian to (I forget...gettin old) has no play in this?

What defines a week?

What about the actual "day" as defined by the Jews? You know...Christ died on Friday evening and rose on Sunday Morning (3 days by Jewish count... all nite Friday, all day Saturday (til 6p?), all nite Saturday nite....ya'll heard that sermon). Actually, I have a friend who has been diligent in researching this (Christ's death) to have actually occurred before the sacrificial slaying associated with the Passover season which would nullify all requests for blood sacrifices and henceforth situate the actual death on a Thursday (as we would know it).

Jews celebrate Sabbath on Saturday. They also base occurrences on the Full Moon.

So many questions....!!

Salvation 101.

Originally posted by BluBlood
Will I go to hell if I worship on the wrong day?
Girl you are funny. :lol:
But lets answer the question for those who dont know.
Ok From the Top.
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Blu Did you catch the KEY Word: believeth Did you? The ETH part of the word?

Maybe, those Bible scholars can break down ETH for us. What does the bible means when it states "ETH"?

If you Believeth in him you will be save. That is why I believe in what Nevaeh stated.
Everyday is the day of Worship in the New Testamanet,

This is not a trap. But, when that statement is made - what is God asking you to believe?

I am trying to figure out who wants to live under the Old Law and New Law. This is a easy question to answer.

str8brave,
I go to church on Sundays usually, but sometimes on Saturday nights.

These 2 phrases came up recently while talking: "The Day of Worship" and the "The Day of Miracles". I've heard people discuss these two DAYS in applying them to the New Testament.
People would say, "What DAY should we rest/worship on?" like I've heard people say, "the DAY of miracles ended with the apostles."(I'll explain the relevance)
This is what I believe:
1) There's not a particular DAY of rest/worship in the NT like there was in the OT, there is a LIFE of Rest in the finished work of Jesus, and a Life of Worship that we should live.
2)In the same way there's not a DAY of miracles, there is a GOD of Miracles.

I believe that the fulfillment of the OT sabbath rest is what the book of Hebrews ch 4 calls a Sabbath Rest for the people of God. I believe that the sabbath is not a "day" in the NT but rather a part of everyday life. Resting from work we couldn't do anyway. The fulfillment of the OT Day of Worship is fulfilled through our daily living. Understaning this will help us see that worship is NOT tied to a particular 24 hour day anymore, but rather to our Christian life.

Remember:
In the NT, your body IS the temple, God lives IN the temple, you, your priest IS Jesus, whom is IN You so remember, when we do our "dirt" we're literally saying, "Come on Jesus, let's go have some fun":( or "let's go Holy Ghost, and have a good time":eek2: because your life IS the worship so God is everywhere we are. This should help change our minds about sining.

Think about it::idea:
If you're not worshiping God Monday through Saturday, you're probably not Truly Worshiping Him on Sunday mornings. :eek2:

nevaehinvesting
sorry i babble sometimes:rolleyes:

Originally posted by nevaehinvesting
str8brave,
I go to church on Sundays usually, but sometimes on Saturday nights.

These 2 phrases came up recently while talking: "The Day of Worship" and the "The Day of Miracles". I've heard people discuss these two DAYS in applying them to the New Testament.
People would say, "What DAY should we rest/worship on?" like I've heard people say, "the DAY of miracles ended with the apostles."(I'll explain the relevance)
This is what I believe:
1) There's not a particular DAY of rest/worship in the NT like there was in the OT, there is a LIFE of Rest in the finished work of Jesus, and a Life of Worship that we should live.
2)In the same way there's not a DAY of miracles, there is a GOD of Miracles.

I believe that the fulfillment of the OT sabbath rest is what the book of Hebrews ch 4 calls a Sabbath Rest for the people of God. I believe that the sabbath is not a "day" in the NT but rather a part of everyday life. Resting from work we couldn't do anyway. The fulfillment of the OT Day of Worship is fulfilled through our daily living. Understaning this will help us see that worship is NOT tied to a particular 24 hour day anymore, but rather to our Christian life.

Remember:
In the NT, your body IS the temple, God lives IN the temple, you, your priest IS Jesus, whom is IN You so remember, when we do our "dirt" we're literally saying, "Come on Jesus, let's go have some fun":( or "let's go Holy Ghost, and have a good time":eek2: because your life IS the worship so God is everywhere we are. This should help change our minds about sining.

Think about it::idea:
If you're not worshiping God Monday through Saturday, you're probably not Truly Worshiping Him on Sunday mornings. :eek2:

nevaehinvesting
sorry i babble sometimes:rolleyes:

Nevaeinteresting,

I am not saying that I agree with the Adventist teaching "Day of Worship," or "Day of Miracles," etc. The question was asked to stimulate your thinking on certain subjects like that. I was taught on the subject the same way you were about the NT and worship and I still agree and accept that teaching. I was only asking that to find out where the people on the prayer board was on this matter. I always wondered why they would put so much focus on one day. When we should be everyday worshippers.

About the church, I believe the Lord is leading me there, not to join, but to get the word. I am not in my home town. I am away at school working on a Masters degree. So I am not in my hometown where I can attend the non-denominational full-gospel word church I usually attend. I've looked for word churches here and visited the churches but they just don't agreed with my spirit. Believe it or not the Adventist church I visit with my friend teaches the word. Sometimes they even invite non-denominational and pentecostal ministers to minister to their congregation.

Thanks for responding to my post, nevaeinteresting, I appreciate that. God bless you.

I am confused on why some do not understand Sunday Worship, Sabbath Worship and The word Seven.

1.The Sabbath is first mention in Ex. 16:23. Approximately 2500 years had passed and no one observed it except God. {Gen. 2:2}.

2.The Sabbath was given to Israel {Ex. 31:13, 17} who previously knew nothing about it whatsoever. {Ex. 16:29}

3.The Sabbath was given to the Jew?s in commemoration of their deliverance from Egyptian bondage {Det. 5:15}

4.This day was never given to the Church as a day of worship {Col. 2:16; Gal. 4:8-11}

5.Sabbath is not a Hebrew word for seven ? it means rest or cessation. The Hebrew words for seven are sheba and shibah. The fourth commandment reads ?Remember the rest day, to keep it holy? It was the day God, finished his creative work.

6.The Bible speaks of many ?Sabbaths? that was given to Israel.

-Weekly Sabbath Day ? Ex. 20:8-11. It began at sundown of Friday and ended at sundown Saturday. It was a day of absolute rest, with no service or gathering.

-The first day of the seventh month {Lev. 23:24, 25 feast of the trumpets}

-The tenth day of the seventh month {Lev. 16:29, 30 day atonement}

-The seventh year Sabbath {Lev. 25:1-4 land was to lay idle for a year}

-The fifth year Sabbath {Lev. 25:8}

-Lev. 26:27-35; 2 Chron. 36:21; Jer. 25:11

Which Sabbath are you going to keep?

7.Jesus never mention ?Sabbath? worship when he repeated the commandments
-Mt. 19:18; Mk. 10:19; Lk. 18:20; Jn. 10:10

8. The Church and authority to worship on Sunday?

The authority was laid out in pattern form through the resurrection, which occurred on the first day of the week {Sunday}. It is listed in all four gospels {Mk. 16:2, 9; Mt. 28:1; Lk. 24:1, 13; Jn. 20:1, 19}. The seventh day commemorates God?s finish creative work {Ex. 20:8-11}, so the first day of the week commemorates a finished redemption {Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:1,2; Heb. 7:12}. Someone is going to ask the question ? but Paul, preached on Saturday ?The Jewish Sabbath? that?s true. He did so only because this was the day the Jews regularly gathered together {1 Cor. 9:19, 20}

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm one to take the quick, and simple route. I think it's whatever faith you believe in. Every faith has it's own way of worshipping. So if your faith says the Sabbath is Saturday, then Saturday it is. If your faith says Sunday is the Sabbath, then that's what you should believe.

Too many scholars have spent a lot of time researching, and interpreting the Bible, and all of it's teachings, and they all come up with something different. Who's to say, who's right, or wrong?

In unison with Blu Blood, if you worship on the wrong day, will you go to hell?

NICE

All milkmen could possibly end up in hell!!!! LOL!

When in doubt, ask God. He knows all. Say that prayer. Ask him to show you His word and His way. Ask Him to help you interpret, understand, and have faith. Ask Him what he means.

If you're saved, you're not going to hell.
If you worship on the wrong day, I believe God will give you credit for worship, period. We disobey a lot of things. The key is to ask for forgiveness and pray for wisdom and strength to know what's right, what's wrong and how to go about changing it.

Believe.

Val, I don't know about Blu, but I was being a tad bit sarcastic.

I've prayed for guidance, got my answer, and I believe in the answer that I recieved.

My thing is, we all seem to believe in a Supreme Being of some sort (seeing that we're talking bible, it's God), but we differ in how we worship, and when we worship. In our differences, we can all make a strong case as to who's right, and with everyone being right, it makes it very hard to see things one way, when we think our way is that right way.

You're correct, when you say pray, and ask God, but God talks to all of us in different ways. It's that personal relationship that we have with God, that creates differences in worship, because we all ask questions with good intentions, but we ask them differently. We're then lead to a place where God thinks we can serve him best.

My .02

NICE

Basically, the Sabbath is a day of rest.

The bible mentions many Sabbaths. The one that some religions based their observances on is the Sabbath associated with God during creation when He rested on the seventh day after finishing His work. Today, many take that, sometimes called the "literal" Sabbath as Saturday.

As previously mentioned, God also instructed the Isralites to observed other "Sabbaths". For instance, they were to observed Sabbaths at the beginning and end of the Passover feast that commensurated the Death Angle Passing over their homes while in Egypt prior to their freedom from bondage. There are others sabbaths as well. These did not, necessarily, fall on the seventh day of the week each year.

For me, Jesus cleared the issue up with the passage "the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath" (MK 2:27). Believers should take a day and set it aside to worship and praise God for his blessings and/or worship corporately. Most Christians churches chose Sunday because it was on the first day of the week that Jesus rose. Personally, I don't think the day matters as long as a person takes it to cease from their daily labors and give the time in honor and praise to God in worship.

However, I Agree STRONGLY with the person who mentioned that worship of God is an everyday occurance. To act one way on Sunday in church (or whatever your day of worship is) and to act in ways that are unbecoming to your christian beliefs the rest of the week makes no sense. God sees it all. Christianity is more than just a religion, its a lifestyle.

Regards.

Back