The race to the Celebration Bowl is really wide open

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
Given where we are at this point in the season and given what we have seen from the teams in the SWAC and MEAC, is there really a clear cut favorite?

I guess A&T is still the team to beat, but this is not the same A&T team from last season. FAMU is improved (plays A&T this weekend), Norfolk State is capable of doing some damage it seems, as well as BCU and Howard.

In the SWAC, PV is in the driver's seat, but they still have to go through SU and Alcorn. Grambling clearly isn't the team it was last season but is capable of doing some damage. Alabama A&M is improved and playing inspired ball. Bama State managed to kick Alcorn State in the nuts (LOL) and is keeping themselves in the hunt. And there is something about J-State that tells me not to count them out.

And finally...Valley is going F-up somebody's season before the year is over...I can feel it. (LOL)

Thoughts?

Given where we are at this point in the season and given what we have seen from the teams in the SWAC and MEAC, is there really a clear cut favorite?

I guess A&T is still the team to beat, but this is not the same A&T team from last season. FAMU is improved (plays A&T this weekend), Norfolk State is capable of doing some damage it seems, as well as BCU and Howard.

In the SWAC, PV is in the driver's seat, but they still have to go through SU and Alcorn. Grambling clearly isn't the team it was last season but is capable of doing some damage. Alabama A&M is improved and playing inspired ball. Bama State managed to kick Alcorn State in the nuts (LOL) and is keeping themselves in the hunt. And there is something about J-State that tells me not to count them out.

And finally...Valley is going F-up somebody's season before the year is over...I can feel it. (LOL)

Thoughts?

Its Wide Open..even Pine Bluff will fugg up somebody's season if said teams don't have an offense. PV is definitely the clear favorite right now for the SWAC. The biggest challenge this year has been the QB position. Most teams do not have a true starter in the SWAC. The only teams I will rule out at this point is PB, Valley, TxSu, and AAMU (I've heard they aren't eligible to complete for a championship but nothing concrete yet).

The scg doesn't count as a post season game.

This is definitely about the Celebration bowl. However, it has been stated that a new rule was passed for 2018 (I haven't seen it with my eyes), that the SWAC isn't allowing teams to compete for any championship events if they were deemed ineligible by the NCAA. Dont know how true that is but we shall find out soon.

This is definitely about the Celebration bowl. However, it has been stated that a new rule was passed for 2018 (I haven't seen it with my eyes), that the SWAC isn't allowing teams to compete for any championship events if they were deemed ineligible by the NCAA. Dont know how true that is but we shall find out soon.
It was in place last year too. That's why Grambling men's basketball couldn't play in the SWAC Tournament.

Its Wide Open..even Pine Bluff will fugg up somebody's season if said teams don't have an offense. PV is definitely the clear favorite right now for the SWAC. The biggest challenge this year has been the QB position. Most teams do not have a true starter in the SWAC. The only teams I will rule out at this point is PB, Valley, TxSu, and AAMU (I've heard they aren't eligible to complete for a championship but nothing concrete yet).
They can’t... rule was passed a few years back. That’s why GSU basketball team couldn’t compete in the SWAC Tourney.

Famu can’t get out of its own way at times...

Simmons has learned from that JSU game

I think he’s got us pretty dialed in and playing some solid football right now. If we can go up to a&t and knock them off this weekend, it would do wonders for confidence heading into the 2nd half of the season.

The only issue this week is that Tallahassee is bracing for a hurricane this week and game preparation has been affected.

The scg doesn't count as a post season game.

While the SCG doesn't count at a postseason game, SWAC Officials, Chancellors and Presidents made a decision that teams who are ineligible for postseason due to APR won't be able to participate in the SWAC Championship Game. It's the same reason why the Grambling State Men's basketball team won the regular season title this year but didn't compete in the SWAC Basketball Tournament.

Dr. Kenyatta Cavil confirmed this over the weekend with Dr. Charles McClelland. So Alabama A&M can't be in the MIX. But they can play spoiler for Alabama State or Alcorn.

Back