The other side of the college football situation

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
Something I didn't think about until this week. What do you say to the athletes that don't want to stay/go home?

I have seen a few players basically say that they don't feel like being home is safe either because of violence or their living situation. They would rather take their chances on campus with their teammates.

I don't think this a viewpoint that I have seen anyone discuss on here.

There are regular students who are anxious to get on campus as well COVID19 and all so it is a topic worth discussing

Something I didn't think about until this week. What do you say to the athletes that don't want to stay/go home?

I have seen a few players basically say that they don't feel like being home is safe either because of violence or their living situation. They would rather take their chances on campus with their teammates.

I don't think this a viewpoint that I have seen anyone discuss on here.
It's a valid point and something that has been discussed before. However, it needs to be known that this isn't just a situation that student-athletes are experiencing. Students who are not athletes are experiencing the exact same issues. Below is a statement from a current student at Grambling who isn't an athlete.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is if these athletic programs are really concerned about the well-being of their student-athletes, allow them to stay on campus WITHOUT playing football,

If it’s not safe for the athletes to be home, isn’t it an indictment on all the public apparatus outside of sports thatsupposed to care for and protect them and their loved ones?

And if there is no football, you mean the program has to send them home — even though students are returning to campus for in-person construction?

If it’s not safe for the athletes to be home, isn’t it an indictment on all the public apparatus outside of sports thatsupposed to care for and protect them and their loved ones?

And if there is no football, you mean the program has to send them home — even though students are returning to campus for in-person construction?

Kendrick I learned a long time ago that life isn’t fair but as a society we have to fix what is broken. Society can’t fix a parent who “sells” their child to an athletic program. We have to fix the situation for the child when they get away from that household. Hence my previous post about colleges and universities allowing students to stay year around at a university.

In my opinion all universities should move to online studies as long as this pandemic is going on. Yet, I know that this may be unrealistic in some situations because some parents of these kids really don’t care if they get an education or not. I know this first hand from some of my wife’s relatives. It’s really sad my brother.

It’s systematic and often times it’s a generational problem that persist because no one is breaking that mold.

Yeah I know plenty of students who are ready to get back on campus whether they have in-person instruction or not.... They just want to get out of their parents/relatives house....

Kendrick I learned a long time ago that life isn’t fair but as a society we have to fix what is broken. Society can’t fix a parent who “sells” their child to an athletic program. We have to fix the situation for the child when they get away from that household. Hence my previous post about colleges and universities allowing students to stay year around at a university.

In my opinion all universities should move to online studies as long as this pandemic is going on. Yet, I know that this may be unrealistic in some situations because some parents of these kids really don’t care if they get an education or not. I know this first hand from some of my wife’s relatives. It’s really sad my brother.

It’s systematic and often times it’s a generational problem that persist because no one is breaking that mold.

Huh?

I'm not referring to that.

I'm talking about coaches and players who've said they're safer at campus because they'll have access to doctors, testing, and medical staff that they won't have access to away from an athletic program.

That is an admission that our country has been woefully unprepared (or unwilling) to handle a health crisis of this scale. If football is needed so that kids will be spared from contracting and transmitting COVID, then that speaks to the larger failures of our government and our health care system. Those are the apparatuses that are supposed to keep these kids and their families safe at a time like this.

Kendrick....you already see that with SEC plan which calls for testing of athletes, coaches and staff 2-3 times per week..... Where else can "citizens" get that kind of testing and results that quick.....and 2-3 times a week. The failure to protect the common person is evident...

That's the issue.

Testing is going to readily available for athletes and those involved in athletics while the rest of us have to schedule appointments, get doctor's notes, display specific symptoms to get tested before waiting several days or a week to get results.

The optics just look bad with schools, pro leagues trying to pull this off while the larger community has to navigate through so many barriers and uncertainty.

That's the issue.

Testing is going to readily available for athletes and those involved in athletics while the rest of us have to schedule appointments, get doctor's notes, display specific symptoms to get tested before waiting several days or a week to get results.

The optics just look bad with schools, pro leagues trying to pull this off while the larger community has to navigate through so many barriers and uncertainty.
All this is true. It does not change the fact that right now many of those players are better off on campus with access to medical treatments and testing whether they have games or not.

Huh?

I'm not referring to that.

I'm talking about coaches and players who've said they're safer at campus because they'll have access to doctors, testing, and medical staff that they won't have access to away from an athletic program.

That is an admission that our country has been woefully unprepared (or unwilling) to handle a health crisis of this scale. If football is needed so that kids will be spared from contracting and transmitting COVID, then that speaks to the larger failures of our government and our health care system. Those are the apparatuses that are supposed to keep these kids and their families safe at a time like this.

Without a pandemic going on many of the student athletes are safer on campus. This world is built on the haves and have nots....it's hard for people to grasp because they want things to be extremely fair across the board. Until the country provide universal health care we will forever have this problem.

But they don't need to play football to get that care on campus if folks truly cared about them.
I am agnostic about them playing or not. It may be a way to test and have a few scrimmages or one off games but I am not advocating for a season fam.

@Kenn Rashad did raise a valid point about being on campus without playing. I was thinking from a budget perspective, if there is anything that can safely be done to generate some type of revenue to protect their scholarships, jobs of non-coaching staff and stadium workers, etc and maintain player health.

Without a pandemic going on many of the student athletes are safer on campus. This world is built on the haves and have nots....it's hard for people to grasp because they want things to be extremely fair across the board. Until the country provide universal health care we will forever have this problem.
This. We have to be able to navigate the world as it is while working to make it what it should be.

Kendrick....you already see that with SEC plan which calls for testing of athletes, coaches and staff 2-3 times per week..... Where else can "citizens" get that kind of testing and results that quick.....and 2-3 times a week. The failure to protect the common person is evident...

My wife works at a clinic that does the rapid test. The only one in Lincoln Parish. The Tech athletes that tested positive went there for their test. It was free and is free to ALL citizens.

It's really about money in most cases.

Yeah I know plenty of students who are ready to get back on campus whether they have in-person instruction or not.... They just want to get out of their parents/relatives house....

That's a very big part of why a lot of them wanna get on campus. Finances is another as far as being able to easily access online classes on campus comapred to at home (especially here in MS)

How long they would be allowed to stay this year with how this virus is raging is the big question. I hope they realize big parties on and off campus are DONE for the immediate future.

How long they would be allowed to stay this year with how this virus is raging is the big question. I hope they realize big parties on and off campus are DONE for the immediate future.

I agree that big parties are done but these kids don't care. This past weekend was the first weekend back for students at GSU. They had a party in one location where the cops shut it down and they moved it to another....cops shut it down....then to a third spot and a dude ended up shot.

I agree that big parties are done but these kids don't care. This past weekend was the first weekend back for students at GSU. They had a party in one location where the cops shut it down and they moved it to another....cops shut it down....then to a third spot and a dude ended up shot.

And then they are gonna have to learn the hard way about RESPONSIBILTY especially if they wanna party so bad and end up being the reason for a COVID outbreak on campus and forcing many people to go home

Without a pandemic going on many of the student-athletes are safer on campus. This world is built on the haves and have nots....it's hard for people to grasp because they want things to be extremely fair across the board. Until the country provides universal health care we will forever have this problem.

The issues with testing have nothing to with universal health care.

All of this is a dysfunction of government and its priorities. It's not even about fairness in this case. It's simple negligence.

People shouldn't be waiting for hours to get tested and weeks to get results while athletes don't have to worry about that. How the NBA and WNBA and college football got better testing and health care infrastructure than ... the country? It's simply unacceptable.

Last edited:
And then they are gonna have to learn the hard way about RESPONSIBILTY especially if they wanna party so bad and end up being the reason for a COVID outbreak on campus and forcing many people to go home

I don't even blame them for partying. Many leaders (local, state and federal) in this country set a poor example by establishing early on in the pandemic that COVID wasn't gonna stop the American way of life. We had to open up after two months of a soft lockdown with no plan in place to further mitigate infections. Few people wanted to tell the American people how serious this truly was, and the only way to get through it was going to be some significant interruption of normalcy. But no. We had to open the economy. We had to open the schools. We need to play college football.

If you're a young person, why would you take any precautions when the folks in charge don't give one good damn?

The perfect "boo" situation ... find you a young lady who is concerned about CoVID and be real with her. 20 year old me would want to be on campus for that .... you can't really go anywhere and be safe, dummies holding parties on campus where they are not worried about CoVID. You could have you a boo situation, safely, in her dorm or yours ...

Seriously, let them come to campus, have online classes, and force them to be responsible or LEAVE. You contract the virus through stupid means (if they can find out), you go and your money stays!

And we can't overlook the fact that many players said they don't currently feel safe on campus with programs not following protocols and uncertainty about testing and the care they would receive and what contracting COVID would mean for their futures. Athletes have opted out because of it. Athletes have tested positive while on campus and haven't fully recovered yet. We can't forget this current movement initially kicked off because of those concerns.

And we can't overlook the fact that many players said they don't currently feel safe on campus with programs not following protocols and uncertainty about testing and the care they would receive and what contracting COVID would mean for their futures. Athletes have opted out because of it. Athletes have tested positive while on campus and haven't fully recovered yet. We can't forget this current movement initially kicked off because of those concerns.

You are right which is why I kept saying cancel the entire season.

Back