The New AD Needs to Lift the Program

cat daddy

GSU wants new AD to lift program
Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

July 5, 2004

GRAMBLING - Grambling State's next athletics director will have to be savvy about marketing, committed to all sports and an aggressive decision-maker, according to supporters and alumni.

GSU president Horace Judson asked fourth-year AD Albert Dennis III to step down on Thursday. Some were surprised that it came on Judson's first official day at work.

"I was a little surprised, but shocked? Not at all," said Donavan Simmons, a 1997 graduate of GSU.

Simmons said quick action was needed, considering "all the transition and uncertainty taking place within the athletics department recently." He listed as lingering concerns a still-unresolved Chicago date against Mississippi Valley and a defensive coordinator position that has been open for months, among other things.

Ralph Wilson, president of Grambling State's Quarterback Club, said promoting the program is essential.

"It's my hope that the replacement is someone who will be upwardly mobile and someone who can realistically move the athletic department forward," Wilson said. "He or she, I would hope, would be extremely personable and sensitive to the needs of students who choose to be athletes at this institution, be task oriented - as well as have a commitment to raising external funds for the continuity and success of our various athletic programs."

Too, any candidate should have an all-encompassing regard for athletics.

"The new athletics director has to be a person who is going to support whatever sports the school decides to move into - while growing the football program," said Collie Nicholson,
a living legend who served as sports information director during the glory years of Eddie Robinson's tenure as head football coach.

Full Article

cat daddy,

The very first thing new GSU president Horace Judson should do is to put Collie Nichloson's old legendary azz to work (him willing of course) either as a special assistant to the president or at least on the search committee for the new AD.

Any candidates starting to surface yet?

You mean to tell me that the Icon Grambling needs lifting in sports
suprise.gif

besides football...what does GSU have to offer athletically?

and remember..they were known due to their "coaches"...is Spears' name sexy enough to market?

Whoever they bring in, I hope they focus on more than just the football program. All sports programs need to be SWAC champions at GSU. And if you are just focused on football...at least win the one that counts(in the public's eyes)!!! I hope the person they bring in works hard and isn't just a puppet for the powers that be(or used to be but want to come back and be again)

cat daddy said:
GSU wants new AD to lift program
Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

July 5, 2004

GRAMBLING - Grambling State's next athletics director will have to be savvy about marketing, committed to all sports and an aggressive decision-maker, according to supporters and alumni.

GSU president Horace Judson asked fourth-year AD Albert Dennis III to step down on Thursday. Some were surprised that it came on Judson's first official day at work.

"I was a little surprised, but shocked? Not at all," said Donavan Simmons, a 1997 graduate of GSU.

Simmons said quick action was needed, considering "all the transition and uncertainty taking place within the athletics department recently." He listed as lingering concerns a still-unresolved Chicago date against Mississippi Valley and a defensive coordinator position that has been open for months, among other things.

Ralph Wilson, president of Grambling State's Quarterback Club, said promoting the program is essential.

"It's my hope that the replacement is someone who will be upwardly mobile and someone who can realistically move the athletic department forward," Wilson said. "He or she, I would hope, would be extremely personable and sensitive to the needs of students who choose to be athletes at this institution, be task oriented - as well as have a commitment to raising external funds for the continuity and success of our various athletic programs."

Too, any candidate should have an all-encompassing regard for athletics.

"The new athletics director has to be a person who is going to support whatever sports the school decides to move into - while growing the football program," said Collie Nicholson,
a living legend who served as sports information director during the glory years of Eddie Robinson's tenure as head football coach.

Full Article

The athletic ticket office needs to be reorganized as well. I will leave that comment at that.

NASTYNUPE said:
Whoever they bring in, I hope they focus on more than just the football program. All sports programs need to be SWAC champions at GSU. And if you are just focused on football...at least win the one that counts(in the public's eyes)!!! I hope the person they bring in works hard and isn't just a puppet for the powers that be(or used to be but want to come back and be again)

Which one is the "one" that counts NN?

Don Tiger, being quoted in the paper. Uh oh, you'll never be able to shut him up now. LOL

NICE

Just when you thought I wasn't looking

D-NICE said:
Don Tiger, being quoted in the paper. Uh oh, you'll never be able to shut him up now. LOL

NICE

I heard that D-Nice ! :bump:

Back