The myth that SU originated the drills some bands do

I saw a post on instagram a few days ago where some clown was showing drills JSU did, and they claimed SU created them. I had to show him clips of Big 10 bands doing those same drills in the 70s, because Jukebox members and groupies swear they came up with everything

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJno2grFb4E

look familiar?
Lol... Ive visited this already ATL Hornet... But hey lets keep it going. You know folks mentioned , God bless the dead Legends like Issac Greggs... "that he is rolling over in his grave for the Topic(s) or questions or just whatever I posted about a HBCU in particular possibly getting there foundation and background and etc, or if anything from BIG 10 schools. I mean, some stuff does seem a little bit similar in ways too me, plus I posted a dissertation that was written by a grad student from past 60, 70 years of hbcu band director statements, history, education.

But HEY, you know I just went to Grambling, I should only be concerned and care about Grambling and stuff.. You know so... you know... I am not loyal ENOUGH to my school, nor band.... You know, I'm putting too much energy into a band and school I never been to and marched in. I just pledged Kappa Kappa Psi just for the Letters... you know... so, I'm not into band history at all, or band period. I just wanted to be the cool Jocs of the band you know, for just when I was there.... You know, I just wanted to Throw K's and loose neck and be part of the best steppers on the yard. Ride a certain bus on band trips and get to sit in the back... You know so.... Hey *hands up* You know I ask myself, Why did I even pledge a National Band Fraternity and NOT take heed and honor its purposes... You know, What kind of Brother would I be???? You know so....

Last edited:
But now I'm about to poke a little fun.. low key because I'm low key sarcastic like that. BUT "My original" topic week, 2 weeks ago was really, and truly Genuine".

But now since someone else brought it up in another way...
*From out the ENDZONE.....* horns in right hand, everybody at attention...... (DRUM ROLL) HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
090812_SPT_UMvsAF_MRM_53_display.jpg

Do that lil hop up kick up thang Those jaguar Drum Majors do.... after that kickout
marching_band.jpg

Then.. the band in the background like "ooooh.... . Ohhhhhh... ooooooo" as the Drum Major hits that backbend....
drummjr-1c83738a97db394f.png

Last edited:
Do that lil hop up kick up thang Those jaguar Drum Majors do.... after that kickout
marching_band.jpg

Then.. the band in the background like "ooooh.... . Ohhhhhh... ooooooo" as the Drum Major hits that backbend....
drummjr-1c83738a97db394f.png

That back bend looks pretty similar to Gram’s DM style as well.

Hell i thought everyone knew that the Big 10 was the foundation for HBCU Bands. Gramblings actual marching style is patterned after the old school Ohio State. The only thing Ohio State doesn't do that we do which Hutch implemented are the 360s, 270s to the left and right, slide to the rear etc. Just genius.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCzrGxY33s

Hell i thought everyone knew that the Big 10 was the foundation for HBCU Bands. Gramblings actual marching style is patterned after the old school Ohio State. The only thing Ohio State doesn't do that we do which Hutch implemented are the 360s, 270s to the left and right, slide to the rear etc. Just genius.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCzrGxY33s

Exactly. Folks acting as if this is some new found phenomenon. The basic foundation of show bands came from patterns in motion and Big 10 since Big 10 was allowing blacks to attend and do post graduate studies. We took those basics and created other innovations making our own styles and concepts.

That back bend looks pretty similar to Gram’s DM style as well.
Well, Grambling's Drum Major backbend is more of a Ohio State style, "With the Hat on".... Its a kind of staying higher in the backbend, more hump backish... than Southern's or University of Michigans where to me your getting much lower, kind of squatting more, and your back is more parallel, much harder backbend.

Grambling's style- similar to Ohio State or from Ohio State
12-september-2009-the-ohio-state-band-drum-major-does-the-famous-back-DMW0NF.jpg

Well, Grambling's Drum Major backbend is more of a Ohio State style, "With the Hat on".... Its a kind of staying higher in the backbend, more hump backish... than Southern's or University of Michigans where to me your getting much lower, kind of squatting more, and your back is more parallel, much harder backbend.

Grambling's style- similar to Ohio State or from Ohio State
12-september-2009-the-ohio-state-band-drum-major-does-the-famous-back-DMW0NF.jpg

Yep that's it! The story of how SU started doing the back bend is that Dr. Greggs 1st Drum Major in 69 just did it himself on the practice field one day and then Doc decided to incorporate it into the intro of the show. There's a video out there with both of them discussing it.

No one actually "got" kaleidoscopic drilling from su's band. That came from Bill Moffitt. Dassit.

Back