"The Man" is putting Colin Powell back in his "place".

Mr. Matriculation

Colin Powell's Stance on Condoms Draws Fire
Photos

Reuters Photo

Audio/Video
Powell Talks to Teenagers Through MTV Teleconference (AP)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Comments by Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) encouraging the use of condoms to fight the spread of AIDS (news - web sites) have drawn fire from some conservative supporters of the Bush administration who suggested the remarks were at odds with White House policy.

During a teleconference on the music television network MTV on Thursday, Powell told a global audience he believed condoms were part of the solution to the HIV (news - web sites)/AIDS crisis and encouraged their use by young people who were sexually active.

In my own judgement, condoms are the way to prevent infection and, therefore, I not only support their use, I encourage their use,'' he said in response to a question from a young Italian.

Powell added, ``Forget about taboos, forget about conservative ideas with respect to what you should tell young people about it. It's the lives of young people that are put at risk by unsafe sex, and therefore protect yourself.''

The administration of Republican President Bush (news - web sites) has not taken a stance against condoms. But the White House strongly advocates abstinence as the best option for preventing sexually transmitted diseases and promotes ``abstinence-only'' programs to curb teen-age pregnancies.

Former Republican presidential candidate and Christian activist Gary Bauer (news - web sites) said on Thursday that condoms gave people a ''false sense of security'' and told Powell to ``follow the lead of the Bush administration which he serves.''

The conservative organizations Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council said Powell's comments directly contradicted the policy of his boss.

``Colin Powell is a career soldier. He knows what it means to follow the commander in chief. We have to assume he wouldn't contradict his boss without approval,'' said Dr. James Dobson, president of Focus on the Family. ``If that's not the case, the president needs to publicly repudiate these statements immediately.''

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer (news - web sites) told The Washington Post that Powell's message was consistent with White House policy. He said Powell ``limited his answer to people who are sexually active.''

I thought Colin Powell was grown?

Its a damm shame when you have to conform to policies that you clearly don't agree with. I guess thats the price you have to pay when you are part of a machine.

``Colin Powell is a career soldier. He knows what it means to follow the commander in chief. We have to assume he wouldn't contradict his boss without approval,'' said Dr. James Dobson, president of Focus on the Family. ``If that's not the case, the president needs to publicly repudiate these statements immediately.''

This quote is disrespectful and insulting. This tells you what "the man" thinks about Colin Powell when you cut through all rhetoric.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well President Bush can't say too much about what Powell said. I mean, look at Bush's daughters. Yall don't think drinking is the only things they are doing do you?

Abstinence my arse.

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
Well President Bush can't say too much about what Powell said. I mean, look at Bush's daughters. Yall don't think drinking is the only things they are doing do you?

Abstinence my arse.

You nailed one perfectly........ :rolleyes:

One drinks deserves another......a couple of drinks may lead to the President's daughter into becoming the parties coveted "Flipper"..... :goof:

Remember Joycelyn Elders, former Surgeon General?

The first question that happened to be asked of Joycelyn Elders at the United Nations World AIDS Day Conference in 1994: "...if masturbation might be taught as a way to prevent AIDS?" Joycelyn Elders replied, "masturbation is something that is a part of human sexuality, and is a part of something that perhaps should be taught".

Joycelyn Elders was fired by President Clinton one week later
for "values contrary to the administration."

Should President Bush fire Colin Powell?

You stole my thunder Blue Bengal with the Jocelyn Elders comparison. It really disturbs me when we use terms like token Ni#$% when we represent only 12% of the population with only 25% of that 12 percent voting. You think "WE" are gonna appoint blacks to high positons in the government when we don't represent the government in numbers anywhere near a percentage to do so.

Colin Powell, Condaleeza Rice and Rod Paige were appointed by Bush because of their long term service to the Republican party. Ron Brown and Jocelyn Elders were appointed by Clinton because of their long term service to the Democratic party. What does that tell you....that no President, Dem or Rep is going to appoint someone that has not proven themselves to their respective party. I'm self-employed now, but I recall even as a Captain in the Army I just could'nt say what I wanted sometimes because of how it might affect the mission or otherwise. I could'nt just tell ole Colonel Hardcore that I did'nt believe in his command philisophy, if I did he would find someone else that would.

BTW, anyone of us can be called a token N^%# on board, where we work by some Thugg mentality having mofo out on the block because we are professionals. "L" I was called a sell-out by some of the Mofo's in my old neighborhood because I chose to go to College.

Yeah I agree with you MB. Even though I am not a Republican, I know Colin Powell is no token (I want even say the word). As a former Naval Officer I am appalled at the mere statement that he has to follow his boss every word because he is a career soldier. The man spoke his mind, just like he did after the Gulf War and like he has on Affirmative Action, in which he differs from his party. Hell Bush really isn't making many browny points with his conservative side of his party. I really still don't like Bush, but he has proved to me, he doesn't give a damn about some of his own Republicans who always ride in on their high horse. So the media is just tripping as usual. Colin pretty much has carte blanche on what he can say. He is no loose canon. All this over him saying use condoms. SMH. These over conservative religious right mofos need to STFU. That's why I can't stand the Republican Party as whole. Always trying to push their moral crap on people. Yeah Bush isn't going have nothing to say about this. This is minor. He's got to worry about all this Enron and Kenneth Lay being his boy mess. :lmao:

Back